Playoffs Game 1: RSL at Seattle, 8:30 MDT, Fri. 2 November 2012

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Oct 29, 2012.

1. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you mean get the lad sicker than a leprechaun on a tequila binge?

2. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could not hurt!

3. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he'd still somehow get minutes. :(

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The adjustments we make in this game - no matter the starting lineup - will likely determine how the match ends up. Our first XI vs their first XI has proven, even with minor tweaks, to be pretty even (not just this year, but in general). What changes the games, though, is the adjustments the coaches have made around the 60-70th minute.

Kreis's mentality can't be negative in this first leg. We can't be all about defending. When we sit in a shell and just hope to defend, we get broken down. We have to look to attack and our adjustments later in the game have to be ones that emphasize just that - attack.

And, as always, set pieces in these kind of games are massive. Defending and utilizing them are key. Hopefully Javi decides to actually get some over the first defender and/or wall.

5. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hearing Gonzalez and Ianni won't be available for Seattle on Friday due to injury...not sure how serious.

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the paper today they said that Borchers, Javi, Olave, and Espy were all questionable for tomorrow as well.
    So, this scrub v scrub game should be fun to watch

7. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our great win @Columbus (admittedly in a 2nd leg) was based upon unleashing the hounds. If we have a starting 4 healthy and fit in the back, we can take more chances (particularly if Olave is there and well). If not, a more negative tactical approach may well be merited.

The way teams have defended us to date, going ape shit on attack may be a nice change up...but it all hinges on our finishing.

8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

the Kleenex is over there to clean up yourself

RSLer and BalanceUT repped this.
  9. bordelais7

bordelais7 Member

May 13, 2003
    Centreville, VA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    That was...different.

10. Bulldog SLC

Bulldog SLC Member

May 4, 2012
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know Javi has been the guy to take corners and such, but against Vancouver I thought Beckerman was doing much better taking them in his absence. I'd honestly prefer KB5 taking corner with Javi at the top of the box for any balls that get cleared in that area. It feels like it'd be a better situation even if Javi was whipping them in like he used to.

That being said, I don't see us attacking much if we're running a makeshift back four. :( I'd still prefer we took to to them. If we can keep them honest, it gives us a better shot at walking away with a result, imo. If we let them attack, we're bound to fall behind.

12. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Please tell me Olave won't play.

13. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. No need to risk him on the turf if Schuler or KWS are available.

14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Schuler is healthy, then yeah, no reason to risk it
    However, while KWS has improved a ton this year, he is still very susceptible to speed.
    Do we really want to rely on this guy in the playoffs?

If Olave is healthy, I'd expect him to play. We have nearly a week between games, so he'll get rest between.

15. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL is no longer looking to win the shield, open cup or trying to finish the regular season in a CCL spot. This is it, all that is left is to make a run into the play-offs. If Olave is able to go? play him, play the best 11 available.
    If one of those 11 is Steele? then we have to start questioning the coach of this team. I am sick of hearing how Steele brings such great defense, what Steele is is Will Johnson lite. He runs around chasing the ball like my not so bright lab. At least when my lab finally gets the ball he brings it back to me instead of giving it to my neighbor. So so sick of watching Steele get minutes while players like Valasquez sit on the bench.

16. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    If Olave is 90% or 80% then yeah, go play him.
    If he's anything less than I'd rather save him for the second leg even if it adds the risk of conceeding a goal.
    This is a two game series, remember that.

17. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question: is there anywhere to watch the game that would not feel really awkward for somebody who is going alone? I'm thinking any restaurant would have me sitting at some stool or table alone feeling like a total loser. Thoughts? I would really love to watch this one with other fans. :thumbsup:

18. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you happen to be in Baja Utah (Parowan) you are welcome to join the party here:)

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  19. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose I could arrange that, but it would kind of be going above and beyond the normal level of fan devotion to travel that far...

20. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given how bad turf is for Olave, anything less than 90% and I wouldn't risk it. Have him on the bench just in case. If this were the final I'd say throw him in, but I wouldn't want to risk losing him for the rest of the season.

21. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Understood but beer is so much better in Baja:) offer stands if you ever are stranded in need so a T.V. While in southern utah.

22. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    The Bourbon House is a good place to see the game. They have food, but you'd better get there early if you want it to arrive before half-time. Just grab a seat anywhere or at the bar. There will be lots of fans, many of them very friendly.

The Republican is a good bet too. No food, just booze. A bit more hardcore, but even more fun when it goes well.

Other than that, I'm not certain of official RSL watch parties. Sometimes they'll have them at the Riot. I haven't seen anything announced yet.

23. Bulldog SLC

Bulldog SLC Member

May 4, 2012
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Republican....it's the only place I can go to that doesn't have the tough guy factor. Good conversation....only if you want it and it's not a singles bar

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bourbon House

25. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle has a triple headed "monster" at CB with Ianni, Parke, and Hurtado swapping in and out depending on the schedule. However, even prior to Ianni's injury Hurtado and Parke were getting most of the chances with Ianni only playing if we had only 3-4 days rest between games. I doubt Ianni would have played even if he was healthy.

Gonzalez, on the other hand, that's a fairly big loss for us. Gonzalez's replacement is Marc Burch, so expect Parke, Hurtado, or Alonso to be spending a lot of time assisting the LB.