Playoff tiebreaker to the higher seed after 180 minutes of play

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by vevo5, Aug 10, 2013.

?

Playoff tiebreaker to the higher seed after 180 minutes of play

1. Favor it

33.3%
  2. Oppose it

66.7%
  1. moutinho777

moutinho777 Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    How about what they did many years ago bring out a big ass clock on the field have the player run from practically freakin midfield & he has so many seconds to get his shot off once gk play is caput. How about that for a tie breaker?

2. The Green Mushroom

Oct 19, 2011
    I like that better than taking PKs to break a tie, but I think we're in something of a minority on that one.

But then again I am a sucker for weird tiebreakers and could live with:
    • Bronze Goal: whoever scores the first goal of the first leg (or the only game) wins if their is a tie. PKs or higher seed determines winner of a scoreless draw.
    • Corner Kick Shootout: Each team takes a number of corner kicks. The attempt ends with a goal or when the ball legally leaves the box
    • "Behinds:" Stealing an idea from Australian Football, if teams score an equal number of goals, the team with the most "Behinds" wins. A "Behind" is scored when the ball hits the crossbar,or is deflected or saved by a defender.

3. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why don't we just make them play a rack of 9-ball, or something equally nonsensical?

4. The Green Mushroom

Oct 19, 2011
    Aside from the idea of Behinds, how are any of my idea, which are all basically using soccer as a tiebreaker, instead of one isolated skill to decide games worse than 9-ball?

5. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #30 vevo5, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    A tale of two leagues:

Major League Soccer: for the playoff, we don't reward the best clubs in the regular seasons. Why should we? Playing in the playoff is rewarding enough.

Nippon Professional Baseball: for the playoff, we go out of our way (to the moon and back) to reward the best clubs in the regular seasons

The regular season champions of the Pacific League and the Central League get these advantages:

-a bye to the semis
    -a 1 game advantage in a 6 games series. Before the series even started, they already won 1 game.
    -home field advantage for all the 6 games of the 6 games-series.

6. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    - good, just like the NFL ... you get a bye

- That's absolutely retarded

- so is that

bunge repped this.
  7. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why NPB is so big internationally, right? That's why any baseball fan in the biggest baseball country in the world can name as many as 2 NPB teams?

8. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I had an idea thread in here somewhere with the group stage option.

9. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I'd personally love going back to the 3 game series ... including the final.

pros : More playoff games. 15 is not enough IMO compared to 323 regular season games. That's a lot of grueling regular season for a flash in the pan playoff. Also you give a real tangible advantage to the higher seed. Also aggregate is really not an America friendly concept. I don't think Americans like the idea of a series being over just because you bomb game 1. In a 3 game series you can redeem yourself with a heard fought 1-0 at home and everything resets for game 3. All or nothing. The biggest pro is not having such a massive advantage for the final game. Having 100% homefield advantage seems to skew the odds too much. Having a 50-66.6% homefield advantage seems to leave open the door to more possibilities. So far the home team is 2 for 2 in the finals. If that continues for several years it'll take the drama out of the game because people will assume it's all settled before it even starts.

Cons : Scheduling. Short notice Wednesday games which could hurt attendance. Not enough notice for networks to clear air time.

I think the pros outweigh the cons.

10. The Green Mushroom

Oct 19, 2011
    I can live with keeping two game aggregate and openly want the finals expanded to two games. If two games determine who plays in the final, why is the final deemed less important than the semifinals? Teams have a chance to recuperate from a bad semifinal game but not a bad final game and that makes no sense to me.

I can also live with having three game series, though they do have all the problems mentioned and more. Do we need to have a winner in all three games? What happens if ties are allowed and the series is level after three? Etc.

I still like my version of the two game concept:
    • Two games are played
    • The winner is decided on points, not aggregate scoring. A team wins the series 6-0 or 4-1.
    • If the series is level after game two, a winner take all third game is played. That game comes with extra time and penalties if necessary. (Or a better tiebreaker or a tie is decided by just giving the higher seed a win with a Game Three draw)

11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    If I had my way I'd make the 3rd game only if teams are tied on points after 2 games. If one is up 4 pts. to 1 it's series over.

If the series is still level after 3 maybe you go to extra time and PKs.

It's not perfect, but it would be more entertaining to my taste than what we have now.

12. The Green Mushroom

Oct 19, 2011
    That's how I would do it too. I'm just not sure that too many others would agree.

13. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the Nippon Professional League is "retarded" for going 238,900 miles out of its way to reward the teams who do best in the regular season. It is "retarded" for the league to go to the moon and back to make the regular season more meaningful.

The second best baseball league in the world took it to the extreme IMO.

But then, what about MLS? Isn't MLS also take it to the extreme in NOT rewarding teams who do best in the regular season?

Western/Eastern Conference Semi: 2 games series, no advantage
    Western/Easter Conference Finals: 2 games series, no advantage

In fact the higher seed is DISADVANTAGED for it has to travel twice as long as the lower seed.

Higher seed travel to the lower seed then back to play the 2 games.
    Lower seed travel once to the higher seed to play 2 games.

Advantage: Lower seed in term of travel

14. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They get the SS and a CL spot.

How is that not being rewarded ?

Achowat repped this.
  15. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Allocation Money

16. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listen... there's certainly an argument to be made that the current format doesn't give enough reward to regular season ranking. I won't deny that. The reason I'm against this tiebreaker is because ONCE THE PLAYOFF STARTS, I'm not interested in rewarding the regular season record anymore -- I'm only interested in rewarding the team that WINS the playoff.

Boloni86 repped this.
  17. The Green Mushroom

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't believe anyone is saying that a team that actually wins games and series shouldn't advance. But what those of us who support this tiebreaker are saying, is that instead of the lottery of penalty kicks allow the better team from the regular season to just move on.

After all, if games that go to penalties are listed as draws that one team advanced from, there was no winner.

18. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I'm at it, let me try to nip something else:

PENALTIES ARE NOT A LOTTERY.

A lottery implies that the competition is nothing except mere chance, and the participants play no part in the outcome. That's simply misguided thinking to say penalties are just decided by the fates. Great goalkeepers rise up to the challenge, and field players who shoot either rise up and execute or shrink and fail. It's a marble check at the most crucial of times. And, again, it's a soccer skill that someone has to win at and someone has to lose at.

I'm willing to listen to arguments that they don't necessarily determine who the better team is, or that it's not a true representation of what the sport is. But it's not a lottery. Put more balls in the goal or go home.

19. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Penalties were a coin-flip, England would win one every once in a while

20. The Green Mushroom

Oct 19, 2011
    By correctly guessing which way to duck?

By kicking at a large target 20 feet away?

If a team had put more balls in the goal, we wouldn't have to worry about picking a winner through penalty kicks. But I do, and always will, find it strange that when two teams prove themselves equal when actually playing soccer, we use one minor facet of the game to choose a winner. You are technically correct in saying that PKs aren't lotteries. But they aren't much better.

21. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's 36 feet.

redinthemorning repped this.
  22. The Green Mushroom

Oct 19, 2011
    Oops, my bad.

My point remains the same.

23. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked the first to 5 format.

24. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...way-goals-rule-first-time-2014-mls-cup-playof

Major League Soccer to introduce away-goals rule for first time in 2014 MLS Cup Playoffs

There are few changes to this years Competition Rules and Regulations as released by Major League Soccer on Friday. Except for one big one:

Away goals count.

That's the biggest addition to the competition format, and the tiebreaker method that's used around the world for two-leg series – most notably in European and South American tournaments, as well as the CONCACAF Champions League – will become the norm once the MLS Cup playoffs resume in the fall.

Here's the exact ruling, as will apply in MLS to both the Conference Semifinals and Conference Championships:

"The four Conference Semifinals will be decided by two-game aggregate series, with the lower seed hosting the first leg and the higher seed hosting the second leg. If the aggregate score is tied after 180 minutes of play, the away goals rule will apply so as to be consistent with CONCACAF and FIFA practice. If the series remains tied, two 15-minute extra time periods will be played in their entirety, followed by penalty kicks, if necessary. The away goals tiebreaker will not apply to overtime in the second leg of any two-legged playoff series.

"The two Conference Championships will be decided by a two-game aggregate series, with the lower seed hosting the first leg and the higher seed hosting the second leg. If the aggregate score is tied after 180 minutes of play, the away goals rule will apply so as to be consistent with CONCACAF and FIFA practice. If the series remains tied, two 15-minute extra time periods will be played in their entirety, followed by penalty kicks, if necessary. The away goals tiebreaker will not apply to overtime in the second leg of any two-legged playoff series."

----------------

Does Liga MX still award the playoff tiebreaker after 2 legs series to the higher (better) seed?

If so, Liga MX is not consistent with CONCACAF and FIFA practice.

25. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Unfortunately MLS just doubled-down on that by going with away goals... :rolleyes::mad::eek: