Playoff tiebreaker to the higher seed after 180 minutes of play

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by vevo5, Aug 10, 2013.

?

Playoff tiebreaker to the higher seed after 180 minutes of play

1. Favor it

33.3%
  2. Oppose it

66.7%
  1. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS two legs series is now expanded to the Conference SemiFinals and Conference Finals. What do you think of awarding the higher seed the tiebreaker after 2 legs?

There is an old discussion on this topic. But it was closed down by a Moderator earlier today. If possible, please merge this with the old thread. Or just let this be a new discussion. Thanks.

2. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HOLY SHIT ... it was closed for a reason fcktard.

JasonMa, ChrisCastig and Achowat repped this.
  3. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What this thread needs is a gif from Hot Fuzz... conversation goes something like

"I feel I should say something clever."
    "You don't need to say anything at all..."

4. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HELL no that is so tupid you play to have a winner... Duh why given the win before you play??

5. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol, I just can't win.

If I create a new thread, it's a no no. "Why don't you bump the old thread instead?"

If I bump an old thread, "why do you bump it?" and someone report to the Mod and the Mod close it down.

6. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about you, y'know, don't discuss an issue that's already been deemed too dumb to discuss?

tbitm, HailtotheKing and JasonMa repped this.
  7. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to keep saying this until I'm blue in the face (apparently):

It's.
    A.
    Playoff.

Get.
    An.
    Outright.
    Winner.

The point of a playoff is that you play a series of head-to-head matchups and defeat several opponents. Defeat being the key word.

Never have a tiebreaker when you can break a tie.

HailtotheKing and JasonMa repped this.
  8. The Green Mushroom

Oct 19, 2011
    How is a random skills contest (emphasis NOT on skills) not a tiebreaker after two teams finish level after 210 minutes of actually playing soccer? At least the higher seed tiebreaker acknowledges the work of the regular season and isn't affected by a butterfly fart pushing the keeper left instead of right.

9. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because penalties are at least a soccer skill that one team has to win at and one team has to lose at. If my five kickers outperform your five kickers, we win and you lose. Period.

Attaching more value to the regular season is everyone else's hangup. It's not mine.

Boloni86, HailtotheKing and JasonMa repped this.
  10. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Long term, i want MLS to progress towards (1) deeper teams, (2) better, more meaningful, less deteriorated by injuries and national call ups regular season, (3) and more gas during the NACL. Which is all related.

A major stepping stone in that direction would be simple natural cap growth. But you'd also need some changes in how teams are built (roster rules), and ideas like OP's idea in this thread could help as well.

I wouldn't want higher seed tiebreakers in the finals. And I'm 50-50 on the conference finals. But first round - sure. This would add legit reward for finishing top 2 in the conference. Much more meaningful reward than gimmicky stuff like Supporters Shield.

Maybe do something about the bottom of the table, too. Make the final games more meaningful. But there's another thread that deals with that.

11. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Gimmicky? You are aware of what the Shield is and where it comes from? It's about the least-gimmicky silverware in US soccer...

12. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Shield was created by fans who want to pretend this is the EPL.

Team awards in a playoffs based league should be decided during the playoffs, in my view. All the CL slots should be distributed based on the playoffs, too. In my view, the Shield is a gimmicky, wannabe-Euro award, and unnecessary.

No need to have regular season "champions" as if it was some separate tournament. To the opposite, if anything, I'd love a stronger connection between the regular season and the playoffs, whether it's in the form of a tiebreaker in round 1 or some other form.

13. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It's just an award for the greatest regular-season record. That isn't Euro-posing... happens in plenty of other sports too.

14. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    It is a Euro-posing award, in my view. Fans were upset with MLS using "impure" "Americanized" rules in its early days, and part of those frustrations materialized as the Shield.

Even as a Euro-posing award, the Shield doesn't make much sense going forward because of the uneven schedule.

If MLS doesn't keep giving it relevance with the CL slot, it should eventually disappear or at least become irrelevant a la NBA's Division Champion banners.

I'd love for the regular season to maintain / increase relevancy, just not through measures like the Shield.

15. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shit-storm starts in 3...2...1

16. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what's it called in Hockey then ?

The USSF would like you to research before posting next time ..

Why ? Playoffs are an equalizer .... the regular season point total has merit in discussing the "best" team (and thus representative of) of the league. How is getting a CCL spot not relevant ? Other than being awarded the cup, what could be more relevant ?

JasonMa repped this.
  17. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    I don't understand you. I said the opposite, CCL spot is what gives the Shield relevance.

Btw, if you have something to explain, explain. I willl be grateful for it and I'll enjoy the discussion. Reading your posts feels like talking to a cocky teenager.

18. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

19. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Well ok, but this is a play on words. I never disputed that this is a fan award.

20. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well, I wasn't going for a play on words. I think, at its core, MLS "embracing" the idea of the Supporters' Shield is less just that and more the fact that the CCL spot and the Shield are awarded for the same achievement on the table.

21. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Fair enough. I guess we can't know their thinking for sure, unless we read the notes of the federation meeting when they first attached the CL slot to the Shield.

Either way, I suspect if there was no CL slot, fans would care less and less about it in time.

In the end, back to the main topic, it's a matter of preference. What's more fun. I'd love a more streamlined playoff based structure. Everything's at stake during the playoffs. Including CL spots. That's more fun to me, but I can see why someone might prefer the status quo (or some - even a non playoff system).

22. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't the League just start awarding the Shield winner a place in the CCL in like, 2008? Didn't the monetary bit happen much later, like 2 or 3 years ago?

Yeah, fans still cared before that.

JasonMa repped this.
  23. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Of course. But clearly, I'm not arguing otherwise, and you actually quoted my earlier post where I explained that, in my view, the times are changing.

24. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we have to have 2-legged series, this would be the best tiebreak, imo.

The real problem is 2-legged series. They need to be eliminated.

25. The Green Mushroom

Oct 19, 2011
    What should they be replaced with?

Group stages? Three games series? One game crap shoots? Three teams playing each other in a round robin of minigames on one day?