Playing Without a Keeper?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Tejas, Apr 6, 2014.

1. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Iowa, we are required to address sportsmanship also. Sometimes we get in phrases like "respect", and "classroom appropriate language", but most of us do it pretty quickly so we can check the box, the coaches can check the box, and the players aren't listening anyway.

2. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    Coaches, are all your players legally and properly equipped?
    Captains, play hard, play fair, and show good sportsmanship throughout the game.
    Coin toss.
    Barring unusual circumstances, for NFHS that's about it for my "talk".

HoustonRef and Doug the Ref repped this.
  3. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In addition, I usually say something about it being a school activity so tolerance is low for things like language, etc. I also picked up what I think is a good line. "Respect the game and the game will respect you back."

4. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Heh. "Coach, will all of your players be legally equipped by game time? Have you ever answered 'no' to that question?"

It's girls' season, so: "Capitanas, presentense. You want the long version of my pre-game speech? Ok: Play hard, play fair, have fun. Visiting captain, heads or tails?"

5. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Mine is pretty close:
    "Coaches, at the whistle will all your players be properly and legally equipped? Thank you."

"Gentlemen/Ladies, remember this field is an extension of the classroom, and therefore we will all exhibit good sportsmanship throughout the game - won't we." Nods.

Flip.

At this point I've started adding something in the girls games, because I really hate giving that first yellow to the coach for jewelry and then having to write a report:

"Ladies, please do one more thing for me. When you go back to your teammates, please remind them to check for jewelry - because who gets the first yellow card for that?" "Coach." "Right, and that makes coach irritable, and we don't want that. OK?" "OK."

RespectTheGame repped this.
  6. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    I've never been a big fan of the "extension of the classroom" comment because it requires additional explanation to be meaningful. I hear referees say things like "conduct that is unacceptable in the classroom is unacceptable here" (what, like running?). I also hear referees go into lengthy explanations about acceptable and unacceptable language while the captains are paying little if any attention. I guess it can work if you have the right delivery, but minimal talking seems to work best for me. Friendly, but brief.

7. That Cherokee

That Cherokee Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Fully agree. NFHS has always tried to take simple things and make them complicated.

8. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    I used to say: "Just a reminder that High School sports are considered an extension of the classroom. That means that we shouldn't see any behavior here, that you wouldn't see during a heated debate in History class." That would get an occasional chuckle or comment. But, lately I have dropped it since several coaches have heard it more than once, and even two sentences is too long, really. I tried this a couple of times so far: "Just a word about sportsmanship, Do it." But that's a bit flippant. So, I am leaning toward some version of , "Play hard, play fair, play to the whistle."

Many refs around here say something like, "Remember that sportsmanship flows from the coaches, through the captains, to the rest of the players. So coaches, I expect you to model good sportsmanship. And, captains, if you see one of your players getting a bit out of control, I expect you to have a word with him, so I don't have to." Two problems with that, I have never seen a coach stifle an outburst because they realized that they are supposed to model good sportsmanship. And, I have almost never seen a captain preemptively talk to a player, sometimes they will after the referee indicates he has had enough. That, plus the captains as are often as not, the team hotheads.

Shorter is better. Toss the coin, choose sides, and get started.

9. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I let the coaches take their leave after the mandatory question about properly and legally equipped ... haven't yet had one ask to stick around for the rest.

10. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Respect the game. Respect your opponents. Respect your referees. If you have a question during the game, feel free to ask. I will give you a quick answer and then we will move on. Any questions now?

Then I toss the coin. For HS matches I start with the coaches on equipment but otherwise the same.

11. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In New York, we have to have the coaches present for the whole sportsmanship speech, and it must be the head coach, not an assistant.

12. keeper dad

keeper dad Member

Jun 24, 2011
    This thread took a turn but I had a great story over the weekend that hits the original question. Last fall I was coaching my 9 year old's rec team in a league that not only keeps score and standings but awards standings points based on goals scored up to 3 per game. We were playing the first place team, that has no conscience and would never call off the dogs and we were behind 5-0. My team was fighting for a playoff seed and needed every point we could get so I "pulled the keeper" and moved him into the attack figuring we could not give up any more points as the game was lost and more goals just made the other team look worse and we would have a chance to get our 3 goal points. The result was we lost 5-3 and the other team/coaches/parents lost their minds. They were offside almost every time they passed midfield as they had no idea there must be two defenders behind the ball. After about the 5th call I tried to explain, they did not believe me and protested the result (when they won). A great way to lose a game to a very obnoxious team.

Fast forward to last Saturday. I asked our keeper to step up and play a little higher in the penalty box and one of the boys on the bench asked me if we had to have a keeper or could we pull him like they do in hockey. As I was explaining that someone had to wear the funny shirt another player yelled at him "Duh dummy, we did it last season and you were the goalie that game". Answer was "Oh yeah, I forgot". A funny day coaching but one bit of soccer neither of them will probably ever forget.

JasonMa, Law5, billf and 1 other person repped this.
  13. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    Classic.

14. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Playing the keeper at forward can present a challenge for an officiating crew in any game where the offside law is in effect. Sounds like fortunately for your team the crew on this game was doing things correctly.