Players you dislike

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Jaweirdo, Apr 18, 2014.

1. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Who would you say was/is an "obscure" player? And is there any person on this board who dedicates all his posts to glorify and overrate said "obscure" player/players?

Personally, I have rarely, if ever, encountered such a thing. It is always the well-known players, who have fans talking about them all the time -- example: Zidane or Ronaldo or Ronaldinho or Maradona.

And, how and why should it be more irritating when people overrate "obscure" players rather than when people overrate "pop" players? Is the act of "overrating" only irritating when "obscure" players are being praised? Is the act of "overrating" reasonable and acceptable when a "popular" player is being praised? I does it work?

I sincerely do not understand the logic of your argument, that is, if there is any logic to it at all.

These "obscure" players are not, by any definition, only rated highly by "relatives" nor are they, by any definition, overrated. When you give your personal opinion about an "obscure" or a "pop" player, whatever you say, can either hurt or help the player being discussed. The fact that you are suggesting that simply praising an "obscure" player will inevitably hurt said player, makes you look very irrational and very unintelligent -- there's absolutely no logic to your argument.

May I ask -- which players do you consider "obscure" players?

Is Joaquin Sanchez (one of the best dribblers in La Liga for over a decade) an "obscure" player?

Is Michel (the 1990s Spanish International) an "obscure" player?

Is Carlos Valderrama (South American player of the year in 1987 and 1993) an "obscure" player?

Is Prosinecki (Real Madrid player in the 1990s) an "obscure" player?

What are the guidelines that one should follow to identify these "obscure" players that we should never mention, ever, since we would inevitably be "hurting" them instead of "helping" them?

Some elaboration would be appreciated as I'm trying to understand the logic of what seems to be a completely illogical argument.

el-torero repped this.
  2. el-torero

el-torero Member

Aug 10, 2011
    malaysia
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    i always fascinate with your argument

great job

3. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A big thank you to wayne rooney for another shite performance at the weekend.. He proved me right yet again.. But no pundits ever say a bad word about him !! If anyone else had performed as bad as he did they would get analyised and slated endlessly..but not our wayne !!

Pipiolo repped this.
  4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Nothing special to be honest. Just that they are still among the big favourites and arguably three strongest countries, despite that "the standard of Brazilian players has dropped" like you said.
    JamesBH11 said something similar a week ago or so (and sees it as part of a 'weak era'). If the standard has dropped, it is also interesting when thinking about how the players are still transferred for big money and the youth pyramid is still regarded as quite strong (it's also obviously commercially interesting to invest in young Brazilian players...).
    But I did not mean something special with the comment... I agree with you that Ramires is a sometimes annoying player.

5. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes mate..brazil will always produce good players.. But what is termed as a good player nowadays is different to how it was a decade or so ago... Brazil seem to value workrate over ball control and creativity... I cant think of a single brazilian player i am truly looking forward to watching at the world cup..

Pipiolo repped this.
  6. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Posters I dislike:
    Those who put up a wall-of-text rant full of insults about a post they obviously didn't even understand, asking a shitton of stupid questions that should be selfexplanatory for someone with a bit of common sense.

Jaweirdo repped this.
  7. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    LOL, did someone hack you account? First time you ever post showing emotion.

@schwuppe

Jaweirdo repped this.
  8. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Di Maria, always glory hunting
    Thomas Muller, a little bitch
    Luis Figo, I hate the way he dribbles with his fred flintstone feet

Pipiolo repped this.
  9. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Based on the very vague and very short paragraphs that you write almost every time you bother writing something at all -- how should I interpret what you mean when you say "obscure" players?

I do not understand incomplete and vague posts that appear to be completely illogical; I asked questions so as to better understand your point, and I did described your argument as illogical, but I did not insulted you nor did I mentioned anything about "disliking" you either.

By the way -- "self-explanatory" is not a description that fits your vague posts. Maybe the term "insubstantial" is a better description for what seems to be the vast majority of your posts, but "self-explanatory" would suggest that your posts actually contain enough logic to explain themselves, which, of course, you as well as I know isn't true.

In any case, I don't care if you like me or dislike me, but it is always nice to know that I'm important enough to make you dislike me. You should start a new thread titled "posters you dislike" -- I'm sure you and a few others will have a great time talking about how much you dislike certain members.

10. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    lolololol

11. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Can you explain that dribbling style and where it differs from, say, Lionel Messi?

12. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    figo is flat footed and often dribbles with the inside of the the foot as opposed to dribbling with the laces in stride

13. Breitner'sWig

Breitner'sWig Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Arjen Robben - especially when he plays for Holland and acts like it's him + 10

Cristiano Ronaldo for similar reasons at various points although he's not as bad and got more respect from me over recent years. Hate his fanboys though

Busquets for being a dirty cheat and somehow getting away with it over and over

On that note, continental referreeing in general

Gareth Ainsworth for ending my childhood hero's career and showing no remorse

Yaya Toure just lately for being about as balljarringly unhumble as possible and not in an amusing way

John Terry for being such a low quality human in general

Jens Lehmann always seemed to be a nightmare as well, especially when something was his fault. Always moaning.

Kevin Muscat made several challenges that could have landed him in prison

Mauricio Tarricco - a combination of the previous three reasons

Mark Viduka was annoying to play against. Essentially just too wide a body to get the ball off him unless you have, ironically, Carlton Palmer's legs...

Carlton Palmer because, unfairly, he has been capped whereas neither you nor I have

Nyron Nosworthy because I unwittingly contributed to his earnings in a profession he is unfit for, while he seemed to thoroughly enjoy the fact. As though you had tendered a contract to write an opera, discovered that some guy on the street won the tender only after you paypalled him, and then simply receive a link to a 12 hour youtube video of that same guy laughing uncontrollably while he defecates on pictures of your family.

Lee Bowyer, he was a tit.

Jaweirdo repped this.
  14. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Why is he in that instance even worse?

15. Breitner'sWig

Breitner'sWig Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In the times I've seen him play for Holland in recent years he's been generally selfish and disappointing and not exactly seemed apologetic about it either, although I appreciate there may or may not be a different side of him shown in the Dutch media.

16. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'll start with

El Hadji Diouf

For so many reasons too numerous to mention. I may be back with more...

Jaweirdo repped this.
  17. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Garrincha - the little bird..or maybe "the little bird brain?". classic example of trying to dribble an entire team when a pass would prove just as effective. Low IQ footballers are some of my least favorite

schwuppe repped this.
  18. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #43 JamesBH11, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    Let me give you choice:
    Garrincha Football IQ 4, Ballskills 9.5 won 1 WC (Goldenball)
    Pedro Football IQ 8.5, Ball skills 7.5 also won WC (with the team)

=================================

you don't have to give me an answer because your post just did.

50years passed, you still remember his "little bird" nick name, and I give you 7-10 years later if you still know who Pedro is or which team he will play for.

Football is a name of a reason: playing with the "foot" on real pitch, not like PES or FIFA game box that you play by the brain OK?

19. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    I was semi-joking trying to see who bites and feels adressed, just like my inital post.
    Nice to know though the first one was important enough to make you write a novel. :D

20. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I always hated Francesco Totti and Pippo Inzaghi ...

I also dislike several Brazilian, English, French, Mexican, Russian and Polish players.

21. La-Máquina

La-Máquina BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Pelé and Platini...

...their off the pitch, post-playing career ;)

22. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    that's beyond the thread's title "player" no? :sneaky:

23. La-Máquina

La-Máquina BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Dislike, is a word I'm unsure of - there are players listed here who are very effective and consummate performers for the very reasons why people dislike them. Footballers like Pirlo, Xavi, Suárez, Busquets, Rooney and Figo are players I admire.

If we are talking about non-football/personal life/off-the-pitch reasons, that's a different story.

jerrito repped this.
  24. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #49 leadleader, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
    I'm always writing novels, so I fail to see any hint of importance there.

Furthermore, if you're going to write semi-jokes or just pseudo-jokes, and then someone actually asks you questions about it -- please don't react all surprised, don't play the victim card.

On subject,

I'm starting to dislike Messi for some reason. I'm not sure if it's the stupid hipster haircut he's been sporting for the last three seasons, or if its the fact he's evidently taking himself a bit too seriously because he feels he is now more of a leader of the team, but there's definitely something about his attitude on the pitch that I'm increasingly disliking -- and I don't believe it has much to do with his actual performances on the pitch, I'm talking about his body language and attitude on the pitch.

Or maybe the Madrid/Marca anti-Messi campaign is starting to get to me.

25. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Great post.. Especially the carlton palmer analysis !