Player Eligibility and Switching National Teams: Case Studies & General Discussion

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Jun 21, 2012.

1. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Drogba's decision was based more on not having the required exposure for national team football -- and even at the club level, it took him a while to professionalize if i recall - he was capped while playing in the 2nd division. obviously hindsight is 20/20 and he would've been a starter for France in subsequent World Cups. but time wasn't on his side. With Julian Green, time is on his side and he never had to rush to switch nationalities.

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #277 HomietheClown, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    Well that is obvious.
    But I don't think that has anything to do with the issue at Bayern you were talking about.
    Which leads me to believe even more so that the decision was based on a good recruitment/selling job by Klinsi and all the German Americans who Green can relate to.

Let us remember that Klinsi is in a unique position that he not only played for Germany but helped develop them into the Power house they are today on the managerial end.
    If there is anyone that can tell a player the pros and cons of playing for each respective Federation it is Klinsi.

3. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Many players are like that. For instance, Klose was a prospect for years until suddenly he was a Bundeslige revelation and only a year later a German NT player and the next year a top player in the World Cup. Do you think Poland doesn't regret not approaching him a year earlier? They certainly would have won him!

4. Emperor_Norton

Jun 14, 2007
    I think the Poles regret not having gotten Podolski. Klose is a bit of a hate figure in Poland.

5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Diego Costa (now Spanish NT player ) is a big miss for Brazil at WC2014.

Never ever that Brazil NT need a good center FW like Diego Costa .... (not even with WC82 team)

6. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Still can't believe the rule permitted him to switch and that he made the decision.

7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  8. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. dsichiva

dsichiva Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    If FIFA was capable to allow the switch of "Chaco" Gimenez to Mexico, with a more questionable set of circumstances, the Diego Costa switch was easier to justify by the relevant FIFA persons in charge.

10. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    I was wondering why Jorginho didn't make Italy's World Cup shortlist.

Turns out the player will only be eligible to represent Italy in December of 2014. Absurd that the guy can even play in youth matches if he's ineligible to represent the senior team. He's a full Italian citizen now, but because he got the passport through his great-grandfather, he needs to wait a full 5 years or something.

11. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The Gimenez decision is a bit of a joke. It seems like FIFA messed up and they are covering for their mistake.

12. dsichiva

dsichiva Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    What really bothers me is that Panama and New Zealand football federations did not take the opportunity of using the legal procedure available (i.e. bringing the subject to the Disciplinary and Appeal Committees of FIFA, and going all the way to the Court of Arbitration of Sports if necessary).

13. garytodd

garytodd New Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
  14. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are American citizens. Green was born in the states. Personally I didn't see the big deal for Rossi leaving, certainly will not see the big deal with Green committing. People do want they want for themselves. Football is plenty tribal without having these pissing contests about "who is [insert nationality here] enough".

So yeah, I don't care. They aren't going out and naturalizing a host of Spanish kids just to improve the team or anything...

Sebsasour repped this.
  15. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Not a big deal. Maybe it's our citizen's makeup. Frankly, a large proportion of our country can play for two countries. This includes me. You take a look at the USMNT and the majority have multiple ethnicities. Rimando is part Mexican and Filipino. Howard's mother is Hungarian. Donovan's father is Canadian. It goes on and on. It is just a reflection of what we are like. Just a bit ago I forgot what player on the edges of the national team decided to play for Guam.

16. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AJ De La Garza

17. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Apparently Cameroon are interested in Swiss U-21 keeper Yvon Mvogo. The carrot used here is also a potential WC spot. Really don't like these last minute pre-WC recruitments, a specified period of suspension between switching would also prevent these.

18. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    I agree.It botters me also that few weeks/months before the World Cup a few players are switching allegiance in order to particpate in a World Cup as a player no matter what.What I find shocking is that in the past,some of them wanted to represent countries that they have no allegiance to other than playing club football there(Salomon Kalou circa WC 2006 wanted to represent the Netherlands and Egypt's Mohammed Zidan who wanted to play for Denmark at first after playing club football there for a few seasons circa 2005)...Kevin-Prince Boateng is also an example of what an international footballer shouldn't be,only wanting to be capped for crucial World Cup qualifiers or World Cup matches themselves...

19. Bengoechea

Bengoechea Member

Jul 28, 2005
    São Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  20. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Pretty absurd that FIFA literally makes these rules up as they go; or they make no sense to begin with (Costa's case).

21. Bengoechea

Bengoechea Member

Jul 28, 2005
    São Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah, apparently you can't play for a team if you played before on a Youth squad, but you can on a senior team and switch.

Not that we need him, because i think he wouldn't go to the World Cup anyway, with William, Miguel Veloso and perhaps Tiago.

The rules are clear and pretty dumb to be honest. If you've played for a given country in a FIFA competition you can't change unless you already had the other nationality at the time, okay with that. But this should count on senior level even with friendlies.

22. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Actually no, the rule is identical in both cases. You can play as many friendlies as you want at youth or senior level and you are not tied to a country.

23. Bengoechea

Bengoechea Member

Jul 28, 2005
    São Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah, i know. What i intend to mean, is that Senior level should count even friendlies for choosing a national team, not only official tournaments (Senior or Youth).

Nothing against Diego Costa, but he defied everything the World Cup represent by playing some games for Brazil and later switching to Spain.

I live in Brazil, and something is telling me that even if Argentina play against Spain with Costa, the Brazilians might root even to their old rivals because of his "treason"

24. dsichiva

dsichiva Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC

You can add the case of Christian "Chaco" Gimenez as an example of rules that make no sense.

Considering that a host country of a youth WC usually take part in the qualification tournament of its respective Confederation (CONCACAF being the exception to this), it means that players of host countries that only took part in qualifiers and not in the WC, can switch allegiance. (The case of Holland, host of U20 in 2005, comes to my mind)

25. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The Gimenez one is really strange. How can the same match be a competitive international for one team but not the other?