Players On Loan

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Quakesss, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Bird

Bird Member

Sep 16, 2000
    San Mateo, California
    It's live now. Bingham in goal.

3. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like garza is in and is #17.

4. Marinquake

Marinquake Member

May 26, 2011
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone watch the SA vs Dallas game that can give a review of how Garza and Bingham looked? Bing pitched a dugout in 47 minutes and Garza got PT in the 2nd half...

5. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingham was good. On the one goal he allowed, it was a cross that he jumped up to punch away but he barely missed it and someone from Dallas came running in unmarked and scored. Garza looked really good, its gonna be hard for him to play with these D2 guys. There soccer IQ isn't as high as his. Garza is somewhere in between MLS and NASL imo. Maybe a D2 or D3 club in Europe would be better for him IMO. But still I like this move by Doyle.

Marinquake and markmcf8 repped this.
  6. Steve0013

Steve0013 Member

Jul 20, 2012
    London, UK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Of course Garza looked really good, because he is really good, he has played 11 times in 2 years for us, give the guy a freaking chance already!! Yeah Cordell Cato gets to play week after after.
    As if we have so many wonderful talented attacking midfield players that we can afford to start letting guys out on loan, Watson and Doyle are clueless

7. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I like Garza's game. I caught his brace against Ft. Lauderdale. I understand why we loaned him out, he needs to stay sharp, but I thought he was a lot closer to contributing to the first side. He's very technical with speed, heavy shot, he just needs to get enough first team minutes to relax. He plays a little amped up and jittery and it affects his passing. The only thing that will help that is giving him first team minutes to allow him to play through the nerves and calm down. Platoon him with the outside mids. Live with a few mistakes up field and have some patience. We stuck with Salinas for a long time, through a lot of poor decision making games. Salinas has never been an intuitive player, but he's better now and understands his role because of increased playing time. Garza is intuitive and has a threatening shot...a higher upside. Hope to see him recalled at some point and given more time with the full side to work through the nerves. The other options are not so much better that we can't afford to do that.

OWN(yewu)ED, markmcf8 and Quakesss repped this.
  8. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Watching Garza play, you can almost see him slow himself down when he gets to the "final pass" point. Seems like he's trying so hard to make the right decision that he winds up not making it, and it takes him too long anyway. I can see a scenario where he starts to gain confidence and relaxes, and that causes him to play faster and make better decisions because they are instinctive and not "thought through" some overly analytical process ("let's see, last time I shot, Wondo got mad at me, so I better slow down here and make sure there isn't a pass I should be making..."). I agree that his upside could be higher than Salinas's because though he is not as fast, he is maybe technically a little better and has a better shot...I think, with both feet. Salinas gets by on sheer effort but is limited technically.

9. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Jazzy - I agree, he needs to get past the paralyzing fear of making a mistake. And for the benefit of the team, his teammates need to understand their roles in getting him to settle in. Basically have his back when he makes mistakes and be supportive. I love Wondo, but that wig he laid on Garza was the worst possible thing for a nervvy young player...total confidence killer. For the record, I want to see anyone in Garza's position take that shot every time...what was he, 10 yards out on a slight angle...rip it. If we can get Garza to a free flowing instinctual place, we'll have a very talented attacker. I think he's well worth the same time and investment we put into Salinas.

Marinquake and JazzyJ repped this.
  10. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, he's a curious case (The Curious Case of Sam Garza), because usually I feel like a guy either has it or he doesn't, and you kinda know right away. Although Salinas was a bit more raw when he started, he is basically the same player today - the same positives and negatives. With Garza you just kinda keep thinking that there's gotta be more there, and some unrealized upside. Maybe he is just going to take longer.

11. xANOTHERxSTARx

Mar 4, 2007
    IMO, thats a HUGE mistake for a GK to make. If a GK comes off his line he better get some touch on it..

I could already tell this will be a worthwhile loan to get these bugs out of the way for Bingham.

Any comments on how his distributions looked?

12. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, however, most on BS have been clamoring for Bingham to start for the past 2 years. Seems they were okay with giving up goals this way in order for Bings to work out the bugs. Considering the Quakes offense will be looking to score once a game, this was not the right approach.

13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, FWIW it's not like Busch (or any GK for that matter) never makes mistakes. By this time, Bingham knows how to play the position. He doesn't need to learn about it from guys posting on BigSoccer. Sure the more experience the better, but I think it's mostly about getting confidence from playing in real games.

markmcf8 repped this.
  14. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Busch rarely makes mistakes coming off his line as he's used to MLS game speed and he knows what he can get to or not get to. Young keepers usually fail in this aspect, b/c they aren't calibrated to the speed. Obviously, consistent MLS game time is the only way to see if Bingham will sink or swim in this aspect, but this loan hopefully will help him on his way.

Busch's failings are ones related to his height and age, so I understand the reason behind people wanting Bingham.

15. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    With Garza, it wasn't just that Wondo told him off, it's that he vanished from the lineup. You can theorize all you want about how he should have gotten it to Wondo for a sure thing, but there is no sure thing, even with Wondo, and if a player has a reasonable chance at making a shot then he should take it. Maybe there's more to the story than that, but you don't punish a player you're trying to develop (even if you think he made the wrong decision.)

I remember when Jason scored an own goal and the coach (Frank?) kept him in, saying that it would be lethal to his confidence to bring him out. Never mind how much anxiety his staying in the game caused the fans.

markmcf8 and hc897 repped this.
  16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #16 JazzyJ, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
    Well, beyond height and age, Busch still makes plain old mistakes, just like any GK, experienced or not. Outside of this one case in San Antonio I don't know that Bingham has made any mistakes in decisions about coming off his line. I'm sure he has but I don't know if it is any more frequent than any other GK, experienced of not. In any case, if "consistent MLS time" is the way for Bingham to supposedly get better at these decisions, the loan is not doing anyone any good (except for maybe San Antonio) :--)

17. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Consistent MLS time (what he wants) > Consistent NASL Time (what he can get now) > 1 or 2 US Open starts + Reserve League starts (what he has been getting)

He's not getting the first one this year, so it's on to the second one..and I fully believe he will be starting sometime next year.

markmcf8 and xANOTHERxSTARx repped this.
  18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, I think that's true.

19. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any rumors on who is going to Sac? What has Falvo's little birdie heard? I speculate the rookies stick with SJ for the first few weeks so coaches can get a longer look and it's a couple of veteran back-ups who get sent down, like Muller. Sac seems to have enough forwards signed, so perhaps a middie. Just a WAG.

20. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I agree with you 100%, especially since the Earthquakes really needed Garza to develop at the time (and still do, I would argue). Unless there was something that happened outside of public view that caused a real problem with him being on the team, he should have gotten more chances last season. Since Garza is still with the team, any issues must not have been enough to get rid of him. It is interesting, though, where you have a guy like him, who's been with the team a while, but hasn't gotten that many chances, really.

Then you have guys like Jahn and Koval who seem to pretty much fit right in with minimal effort. It's still early on both of those guys as well, but the transition to playing professionally is easier for some than others. Sam just might be more volatile in his confidence.

21. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking may be TT and Sofia. Jahn would be my guess but Sac is stacked with Fs already, so maybe. Koval would also be great but looks like he's almost ready to jump in the first team, looked great vs Toluca as an attacking mid.

22. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont think we signed TT out of college just to send him to Sac for the season. Let him play another year at IU if thats the case. While I dont think hes going to start, I do think we intend to get him minutes with the first team this year.

markmcf8 and JazzyJ repped this.
  23. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree I'd rather have him with the first team, but given our other signings, his injury, his age and his connection to Sac, I see him coming here. I mean, is he going to start or get minutes over Djalo, Salinas, Cronin or JBP? Is he going to be higher in the depth chart than Koval or Khari? I just don't know. We signed him so we could make sure we rope him in and he's ours, but I'm not so sure WaTFson is going to put much trust in the kid.

24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I think at the very least they'd want to see him out there training with the team before making a decision. I think he'd be better than Salinas and Cato already - as a winger, different but better, and he could take on a CAM role when they need a goal. Remember they used to sometimes bring WalMart in to play that role, and I think TT would do much better than him there.

25. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think its between, Muller, Sofia and Niel.