Players Of The Future?

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by SupaMario, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Aimar and Saviola are two chokers, never amounted to anything. I think Salvio will be better than both of them.

2. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Two chokers? The two always played very well on the NT, especially Saviola. Look at the 2006 WC: el conejito was easily one of our best players.

These two are cases I never understood.. everytime they would be called up, they would perform well, yet they were never given another chance after that. Aimar, for example was called up vs. Peru in the recent WCQ and played a great match + gave an assist. What happened after that? Diego never called him up again.

You simply cannot call them chokers. They did their jobs, you can't complain about that.

3. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Aimar is supposed to be a playmaker, yet I never saw him able to carry a team. While he may have had the talent, he lacked the personality - unlike guys like Riquelme or Veron. Is true that Saviola played well for the NT, but he completely ruined his career over greed.

4. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Saviola definetely one of the best in national team, remember hattrick in copa 2004? too bad he got injured after that.
    another highlight was the first 2 games in 2006 WC, he made 1 goal & 2 assist also played big part on the 25 passes goal. He did not play against Germany though. If that's not enough, watch his performance in 3-1 victory against Brazil... and his last goal was againts France and he never get called up again since then I think.

Aimar was slightly difference case, he made better impact by coming from the bench. He scored in copa and confederation few mins after coming from the bench, he & messi also made instant impact in extra time against Mexico. However, as a starter he often dissappear in second half and never look dominant in midfield for extended period unlike Riquelme.

5. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    LOL! Veron carrying the team as a playmaker?! I don't see how you're classifying Aimar as a "choker", yet you're praising Veron. La Brujita received many more opportunities than Aimar, though he has shown a lot less.. el que no salta, es un ingleeess! ;)

As for Saviola, I agree that his club choices weren't the best, but that's a completely different topic. Then again, he still scored everywhere he played when given a chance and on the NT he was always a monster. Greedy or not, you can't call the guy a choker.

6. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Now you're totally spot on. Thats what I think about Aimar, he never dominate the game. Saviola played well in his younger days at Barca but choose to sit on the bench during his prime age.

I read somewhere that Saviola has retired from NT.

7. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He's not internationally retired. As the WC approached, he stated that he realized that there were several Argentine forwards who were in form and that realistically he was far from the NT so he preferred to focus on club soccer. He's doing great in Benfica, though, and recently mentioned that he is hoping to maintain his form and get called up once again.

8. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    About Veron, you're half correct, Veron was dominant playmaker in 1998-2001 and through out 2002 qualifier. As much as I think he's useless in NT these days, he won league title, libertadores and was voted as south american player of the year. Now what does Aimar do or achieve to earn himself a spot in NT? I never like Veron myself but you get an idea.

9. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I wouldn't exactly go as far as saying Aimar was successful on the NT, but I just don't think Veron achieved more than him playing for Argentina either. He's probably one of the biggest NT chokers I can recall, I still don't understand why he was brought back to the team.

As for Veron's titles/prizes, those don't necessarily mean anything. Often times players can't reproduce their club performances on the NT, and then there are the special cases of players who actually play better internationally than in league play.

10. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, you can say the same on Tevez, Messi and many other Argentine players... many of them aint capable of doing the same thing like they're doing at their club. If all of them could perform like Riquelme & Crespo did in NT colour, even with stupid coach like Diego, Argentina can do better. Luckly though Higuain looks promising.

11. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nope, Ayala was 22 in 1995. As far as i recall he didn't play in youth national teams.

Exactly, something that angers me when it's said "Messi doesn't play like he does at Barça", like if he was the only one playing on the team, we should rather ask "Who isn't playing like at their club? And why?".

12. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    messi and tevez are completely different cases than veron.

what happened with veron in 2002 is unforgivable. in 2010, if the rumors are true, is another example of what a cancer this guy is.

we already know he is the reason zanetti was not in the squad. if it is true he refused to come on as a sub against germany i don't even know what i'd say, because my opinion of him can't really get that much lower

as NYC Cosmos always says, veron has a great football brain, but unfortunately the way he is prevents him of being any use to the NT.

veron is a schemer and loves to be the most powerful guy in the dressing room. i expect him to make a run at AFA president one day

13. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    yes, everyone not just Messi but something that really catch critique attention is that Messi is known at Barca for scoring a seemingly impossible goal... some fans might pointing that he played way too deep in NT, but then I would ask how did he scored many of his goal at barca? lots of his goal (I mean ALOT not few) was scored by running at defenders from very deep position... in last 2 seasons his long range shot is deadly most of the time.

In Argentina he started to play as right winger and then he has been used as front striker alongside Tevez which ultimately failed, now he's being place at the center which also failed.

14. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think in regards to Aimar, the question you should ask is why this guy at 30 and still in his prime let his ass be benched in favor of the 35-year-old Veron? Aimar could never handle the role of playmaker for Argentina.

15. Arg10

Arg10 Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, because Veron has been so reliable since coming back to the National Team.

I have no clue why Aimar was left out of Diego's team. The guy gets called up, plays one match, plays good, has great chemistry with Messi and gets an ASSIST on Higuain's goal. After that, he was completely ignored. I don't know what more he could have done in that match against Peru.

Greed did kill Saviola, there's no doubt about it. He was always called up by Pekerman, played good but moved from Barcelona to Madrid. He has no one to blame but himself for that one, no doubt.

16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Was Marcelo Canete eligible to play in this youth tournament? I think he has the talent to become a great playmaker.

17. msi2

msi2 Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Paris, FRANCE
    The kid is looking different in a very good way. Finally someone who has some potrero flair, not un boludo que simplemente mete y corre.
    He wasnt eligible because he was born in 1990. It was reserved for the players born after the 1st January 1991.

18. threervana

threervana Member

Jun 4, 2008
    China
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

The question we should ask is why the 35-year-old Veron could let other younger and better options (Don't forget other chokers:eek: like Cambiasso, Lucho,etc.) sit on the bench or not even get called in NT? Only Diego and AFA knows....

Besides, is there anyone really think that Aimar is the direct sub/replacement for Veron??? Aimar is basically for full attacking but Veron plays deep and provides a lot defending in midfield, which is the main difference.

And it's possible that a 36-year-old Riquelme still carrying the team in 2014...After all, it all depends on the coach.

19. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We should look forward, Pastore is the big hope, and hopefully Banega will continue to improve and one or two youngsters will step up to the mark in the next couple of years.

Riquelme and Veron have both contributed a lot to Argentine football and for that they should be thanked, but their time is now over.

20. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    From Goal:

Five Youngsters To Watch In The 2010 Argentina Apertura
    Daniel Edwards looks at the Argentine starlets who are hoping to take 2010 by storm...
    By Daniel Edwards
    Aug 4, 2010 9:00:00 PM

Marcelo Canete, Attacking Midfielder, Boca Juniors:
    Birth Date: April 16, 1990 (20 years old)
    First Team Appearances: 0
    Plays most like: Juan Roman Riquelme

Despite never appearing in a competitive match the youngster has enchanted Claudio Borghi with a wonderful pre-season, convincing the Boca coach that he does not need a back up number 10 for the currently injured Juan Roman Riquelme.

The Boca legend is Canete's boyhood idol

Quick, adept with the ball at his feet and capable of scoring fantastic goals, Canete will start the season in the pivotal ‘enganche’ position, and has an excellent chance to carve a name for himself while Roman nurses himself back to full fitness.

Bruno Zuculini, Defensive Midfielder, Racing Club:
    Birth Date: April 2, 1993 (17 years old)
    First Team Appearances: 2
    Plays most like: Javier Mascherano

The name Zuculini will be familiar to many followers of German and Italian football; big brother is ex-Hoffenheim and new Genoa midfielder Franco, who enjoys a sterling reputation in Argentina despite only being 19 himself. Bruno is cut from very much the same mould; assured in possession and with a great eye for a pass, ‘Zucu’ is a defensive rock who is also not afraid to get forward.

The 17-year-old will start the season as the first man off the bench to replace Claudio Yacob or Patricio Toranzo, and in his fleeting introduction to the Primera last season he marked himself out as a player to watch in the future. Zucu is just one of a promising bunch of youngsters in La Academia looking to follow in the footsteps of Sergio Romero, Diego Milito and Lisandro Lopez, with fellow starlets Luis Farinas and Valentin Viola forming part of the group who travelled with the national team to train in South Africa.

Sebastian Blanco, Winger/Number 10, Lanus:
    Birth Date: March 15, 1988 (22 years old)
    First Team Appearances: 125
    First Team Goals: 18
    Plays most like: Javier Pastore

The veteran of the bunch having recently turned 22, Blanco is one of the best prospects, if not players outright, playing in the Argentine Primera currently. Having made his debut at the tender age of 17, ‘Blanquito’ immediately forced himself into the starting line-up, and is the creative heartbeat of the most consistent and stable team in Argentine football.

Short in stature, Blanco compensates with wonderful vision and awareness of what is going on around him, blessed with the rare ability to slow a game down and take his time that only the very best players enjoy. Already a veteran of a championship win, multiple continental campaigns and the national team, if he shines once more in the Apertura a big money move to Europe is surely imminent for the Lanus number 10.

Manuel Lanzini, Midfielder, River Plate:
    Birth Date: February 15, 1993 (17 years old)
    First Team Appearances: 0
    Plays most like: Sergio Aguero

A virtual unknown until this winter, ‘Manu’ has forced himself into the Millonario set-up thanks to some consistently impressive performances in the club’s youth ranks, which he joined at the tender age of nine. New coach Angel Cappa called Lanzini up for the club’s pre-season jaunt to Salta and the attack-minded middle man did not disappoint, making two appearances on the tour and winning unanimously positive reviews.

Equally adept with both feet, ‘Manu’ is an attacking midfielder in the best Argentine tradition, and is likely to debut from the start in the season opener against Tigre on Sunday - where he will form a scary-looking attacking trident with Ariel Ortega and Diego Buonanotte behind a lone striker. River youngsters have struggled in recent seasons as the senior players have too often gone missing, but with a more solid base expected this time around Lanzini could be one to shine in the Monumental.

Juan Dario Iturbe, Attacking midfield/Forward, Quilmes:
    Birth Date: June 4, 1993 (17 years old)
    First Team Appearances: 11
    Plays most like: Lionel Messi

Dubbed the ‘Guarani Lionel Messi’, the 5’6 prodigy is quick, a fantastic dribbler and plays with an experience far beyond his tender years, and if given the chance in Quilmes could be the surprise of the tournament.

Despite just turning 17 the Argentine born in Buenos Aires to Paraguayan parents has already racked up a handful of appearances for previous club Cerro Porteno, and was courted by several European giants before moving back down to Buenos Aires to join newboys Quilmes. His talent hasn’t escaped Albiceleste eyes either; still eligible to play for Argentina despite youth appearances for Paraguay, the youngster spent the World Cup training with Messi and company after being personally called up by AFA officials.

21. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'd like to see some with:

Plays most like: Roberto Ayala

or

Plays most like: Javier Zanetti

;)

22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    LOL!

We also need a "plays most like Ubaldo Fillol". :D

23. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is a guy I'm looking forward to watching, even though he's a gayina.

I understand Cappa moved him up from the 6ta and wants to make him a starter. Must be one hell of a player.

24. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Manuel Lanzini: The future 10 of la selección:
    [​IMG]

Rogelio Funes Mori: Future 9 of la selección:
    [​IMG]

25. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Good news for us in that Squillaci looks set to leave Sevilla meaning Fazio who played solidly against Braga in the CL looks set to get game time at centre back at last.