Players NYCFC might target for DP players?

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by MattXG, Sep 26, 2013.

1. MattXG

MattXG Red Card

May 17, 2010
    Ok, you know NYCFC is going to go BIG on their DPs. It's NY, they represent MCFC and the NY Yankees in a way.

They NEED to make a splash from day 1.

I think Michael Bradley. Maybe Jozy Altidore if Sunderland doesn't work so well.

I got a few interesting possibilities: Javier Chicharito Hernandez and Shinji Kagawa from Manchester United

Coming from the mothership, we might see Pablo Zabaleta, James Milner or Edin Dzeko I think.

Any guesses?

2. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  3. MattXG

MattXG Red Card

May 17, 2010
    No way Aguero and Kompany. They're way too important to MCFC. Aguero is probably the 3rd best striker in the world behind Messi and Ronaldo right now.

Nasri is definitely a possibility...

4. terrier

terrier Member

May 31, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Dempsey, if his brand survives that long. Seattle will take a chunk of NYCFC's expansion year allocation bucks and the league gets a big-name American designated player at its big-name designated team, at least for the launch year.

5. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard to say looking this far out. Gareth Barry is the only one I see likely from the current City squad. He is at about that age, and I'd be extremely surprised to not see one ex-City player to bridge the gap.

A few others I'd take a look at:
    Been quite a bit of reports and speculation that Pirlo could leave Juventus after this season. He would be a mega signing for MLS, although I don't think he'd have much interest in coming here. Buffon is another that may find his way out of Juventus in the not so distant future. His form has been questionable for both club and country. Then there are some guys like Lampard, Drogba, or Eto'o who could be available. But I think they could be even a little too old for the MLS by 2015. Someone else I've been thinking about lately is Ibrahimovic. He's going to turn 32 next month and will be 33 when NYCFC launches. His ego would be a huge issue, but I think he would score goals galore. He also has a habit of winning the league with almost every team he plays for.

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone named in this thread will be in NYCFC in 2015. Either will be way too old or still have some Euro time left in them. I could kinda see Barry but I think Everton like him. Nasri will still be strong in Europe, Jozy and Bradley will still be young enough that MLS might not be in there plans. I'm not sure anyone from today's City will make the jump, unless its loans or bench guys.

Just an idea but a midfielder or striker from Italy who is closer to 30 seems like a safer bet. Maybe someone like Matri or Bianchi.

7. MattXG

MattXG Red Card

May 17, 2010
    Isn't that the trick now?

To sign a player or three that you would think we'd never have a shot with?

8. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Given that Reyna stated that we will deffo use three DP slots, and given the track record of MCFC and Yankees in regards to splashing the cash..Let us dream a little

As I see it our best chances are with players that are not really national team players but adventure loving and willing to give MLS a chance while earning European kind of money.
    If we want someone still in his prime that is..

9. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go big or go home.......

Wayne Rooney in 2015.......book it.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think the point of this discussion would be to target potentials not fantasy signings.
    To be honest I don't think MLS revenue streams would support signing 3 players that would 1) eat up over 1/3 of the cap alone and 2) would cost the team $10s of millions to sign and millions more a year on wage.

11. MattXG

MattXG Red Card

May 17, 2010
    His brother did play in MLS and Rooney is constantly pissed off at United. I'm sure if he really wants to stick it to United, he'll go to a City club.

Rooney's current contract? Runs out in 2015 :D

So it's possible that MLS wouldn't even have to pay a transfer fee... Wayne will be 30 then, too.

12. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

13. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Rooney is 100% Everton, he still attends their games when he can.
    As for transfer fees etc it will ultimately be NYCFC that pays the bill anyhow.
    As for how realistic the idea is, well..he´ll never move to a country where he can´t read the papers, he also got more friends among the City players than mates in the current United team.
    I´d say that it´s a surprisingly good chance that he´ll end up in New York :whistling:

14. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Landon Donovan.

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will be 33 in March 2015. He seems pretty happy in LA & he just signed a new multiple-year deal. Would Reyna trade to get him, at 33?

16. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, but he is the greatest player in the history of the soccer USA.

17. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could see Steven Gerrard in MLS at 35 years old.

18. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYRB's are linked with a move for Xavi after the world cup. Now that's a deal to try to hijack.

19. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    A guy that never even moved out of his parents home suddenly turning up in New York?.. o_O

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liverpool and England can keep their geriatric players. Defoe at 31 is at the upper end of older exceptional player ages.

Now look at the other 2 DP signings for Toronto. Gilberto, 24 of Brazil and Bradley, 26. Those are wonderful signings. These are the types that Kreis and Reyna will go after. If someone like Gerrard signs, then I no longer believe Kreis is making the decisions.

21. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me help you out: the Telegraph has no idea that there are 2 NY teams and confused RB rumors for NYCFC. They thought there is a connection between Barca & MC and then inserted some quotes from the press conference.

I can't tell you how depressing it is to keep reading about MC telling Kreis what to do but proclaim "he is completely free". Yeah right.

23. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regurgitation is the best kind of reporting.

AutoPenalti repped this.
  25. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Don´t believe Xavi is going anywhere really, just his agent trying to drum up interest IMHO.. Unless his wife is involved somehow.
    She´s a fashion journalist btw.