Player You Would Least Like To See Make The World Cup Roster

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by LDubsPP, Apr 20, 2014.

1. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Ernie Stewart had a stellar career :).

2. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said.

Some are acting like Evans was just handed a slot by JK. He was the 2nd alternate called in when all the FBs were down before the May/June Hex camp last year. He was called after the 1st alternate, Corey Ashe got hurt in his last club match. Evans came into camp, ran through brick walls during training (and literally almost did trying to get on the end of a back post cross in his sub appearance v Belgium) and won a spot and has hung on.

A great locker room guy and I am rooting for him even if he will most likely not make the 23.

3. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Evans living off that goal against Jamaica. Gooch has been done since 2010. Beasley isn't a LB

4. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Evans had starts before Jamaica and has had starts after Jamaica (9 starts in 2013)

Gooch played extremely well for Sporting in 2011 - 2012 before Sporting had financial concerns. He is currently playing extremely well for Wednesday. Reports from Sheffield suggests that he will move to a bigger club at the end of this season.

Beasley started 17 matches in 2013 at LB for the USMNT and currently plays LWB for his club. He is now a LB.

5. joebarnin

joebarnin Member

May 3, 2003
    Santa Cruz, CA
    As other have mentioned, this question is incomplete. Saying "I don't want player X on the team" really doesn't mean much, without knowing who it is that would take his place. Because, surely you would take Eddie Johnson or Brad Evans over nobody, or some random guy from your rec league. The interesting statement is "I don't want player X on the team, if it means that players W, Y, or Z don't make it."

russ, danielh and NMMatt repped this.
  6. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't think of anyone that's likely to go that shouldn't. In general, there's no such thing as someone who "shouldn't" be there. If they have a good chance of going, it means they are the best American in the world at that position; not their fault our pool isn't very deep. You only get to play with what you have.

schrutebuck repped this.
  7. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a message-board meant for discussing these things.
    If people here have personal connections to some of these players then state it.

8. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Yep. Tim Chandler is the only player who deserves it.

9. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet you could easily see JK not bringing Bedoya on the 23, but bringing Shea (very, very, very unlikely) or Green (very unlikely) because they bring something different to the squad.

Green or Shea can be an effective attacking Joker to bring on at 65 to run at defenders and make something happen. Bedoya, while a better overall and much more steady two way player does not bring that attacking flair aspect to the table.

10. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta be honest, I'd bring him over Brad Evans.

aarond23 repped this.
  11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He'd be very useful: left Fabian, right Chandler, Cameron with Mike.

Since he's unlikely to play for Nürnberg yet, right now is a moot point. We don't know how he's returning from injury. He may be poorer than other RB options. After all, he's only been true for the NT once, the other times he wasn't that good, IMO.

12. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The point was that there are players that have contributed over the years, or to the qualifying process -- and deserve some measure of respect. Bashing them hoping they don't make the squad is not constructive, as joebarnin said. Stating who you prefer over another is one thing -- blindly saying so-and-so shouldn't go has no merit.

The Ching thing always comes to mind, effing disgraceful beyond belief. These guys work hard, it's not our place as USMNT fans to mock or belittle them.

Cristiano Ronaldo -- have at it.

13. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conor Casey? It's constructive because Evans playing would hurt the team which is deconstructive. Loyalty is one thing but this is professional soccer and a World Cup. He put his head down and worked hard that's great, I'd still take a healthy Chandler over him because it gives the team a better chance to win.

Not handing out medals for effort.

14. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brad Evans and Davis

15. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What exactly is "the Ching thing"?
    I seem to recall fans being surprised that Findley was chosen over Ching.

16. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This thread shows the worst of BS. People want to leave a player out because they don't believe in their abilities or have a bias against them while sitting behind a computer.

17. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it's about the "World Cup reject!" chants he got in an MLS game after being left out of the squad.

I think I remember that being a story at the time.

18. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was in LA after hed been replaced by Findley.
    And Ill be honest -it was the right call to not take him.

19. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    No one is mocking anyone how Ching was mocked and we are on a soccer forum where I don't know we critique behind computers.

I am in the camp that wants the best fielded team that would play collectively well and get us the best results. If that means leaving behind a few that helped our team along the way and hurting some feelings, then yes.

soccerusa517 repped this.
  20. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never heard about that.
    There is nothing wrong with speaking your mind about who will be cut in the WC camp, that's part of this whole internet message-board let's talk sports thing.
    As far as that chant, that's ridiculous, Brian Ching was nothing but class.

21. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guys that will not make the team are not going to be taken out behind a shed and shot in the back of the head, they'll simply go back to their clubs, no big deal.
    Hell, most of the guys who DO manage to make the bench won't see any action in Brazil either, so what exactly is the difference?

22. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine the experience of being on the team for a WC in Brazil would be pretty incredible even if you didn't play a minute. I'm sure quite a few people would pay a pretty penny to switch places with Brad Guzan or Clarence Goodson for this tourney.

23. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well sorry, we don't live in a "everyone gets a trophy" civilization.
    That does not minimize the contribution that these players made to the U.S getting here but that is the reality.
    Sounds like you seem to have some kind of issue with that.

24. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An issue with what? A free trip to Brazil and a front row seat for all the festivities would be a lot better than sitting at home watching on TV. I think most people would agree with that. I'm sure a guy like Nick Rimando will be delighted to go to Brazil even if he doesn't get into a game. It's not that complicated.

Nevermind that it's an honor to be named in your country's 23, even if you aren't among the guys who end up getting any minutes in the tourney.

25. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because we're fans, it's nothing personal. Stop acting like their relatives or their mom's. People don't like Eddie Johnson because of his past exploits and failures, and a contingent, including myself, do not think Brad Evans is good enough to play RB at the highest level.

Also the argument of "who cares we don't have world class players anyways, not like it matters!" INFURIATES ME. You should try and take the best players for the job this summer. If Chandler isn't committed or not ready for 90 min soccer so soon coming back from his injury then so be it. But this sympathy bullshit acting as if the team is one big family is ridiculous. As long as no one's feelings get hurt! It's professional soccer, not AYSO.

Android Cat, Wessoman and Foolishness repped this.