Player spotting [7] - all pics of players in new boots/gear here!

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. serginhobertholi

Feb 28, 2011
    Pará - Brasil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I must say he is a brave man by, the age of 42, use this stud configuration in a synthetic field.

Mercurial4991 repped this.
  2. vanjory

vanjory Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Singapore
    All the players actually used normal FG boots / soleplates on that turf, seems like no problem for them so far, I mean so far no bad injuries and things like that. But in here where I live, it's common for players to be wearing FG studs on synthetic turf.

serginhobertholi repped this.
  3. gwood88

gwood88 Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think it is common in most places its just not recommended. It makes more sense because you only have to buy one pair of boots that you can use on both turf and grass but then you end up going through boots faster and putting yourself at risk for injury.

4. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think the biggest risk about his boots is that there are only 2 studs on the heel of each boot. That, coupled with his age, is the concern, but since he has years over me, and is an experienced professional, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. ;)

5. vanjory

vanjory Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Singapore
    In that photo, Duric is playing his last tournament. The tournament, AFF Suzuki Cup has ended with Singapore being Champions (winning Thailand with a 3-2 Aggregate) and with that, Duric has retired! But anyway, it is a common sight for the professional players here to wear FG on synthetic turf. Maybe it's not their culture to wear turf shoes on synthetic ground...

6. Footballer-7

Footballer-7 Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Down here in Tas we only have one synthetic turf (a second is currently being built) but we all wear FG's. I've even seen one guy wear SG's, out of ignorance probably, since we only have the one turf field, and no stores stock AG or turf shoes down here.

7. David89

David89 Member+

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    [​IMG]

Derbystar and gsII's

8. vanjory

vanjory Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Singapore
    Btw, did anyone notice that RvP did not change his boots at all and still sticks by his Predators? IMO, I think it is some lucky boots maybe thats why he has never changed it. Or does anyone know why?

9. vanjory

vanjory Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Singapore
    Obertan switched to Adidas from Nike.
    [​IMG]

10. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's done it ever since his dreadful Euro's campaign.

11. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think it is something to do with superstition - wonder of he will be able to go the whole season without wearing the LZs?

appleCORR

12. ColumbiaVanquish17

Nov 19, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually just got home from the UPS store where I returned my size 12 black/black/green zest Predator LZs. They were practiced in, and match worn for 25 minutes on artificial grass... I just can't do it. The Lethal Zones are drastically different from my blackout Predator AdiPowers. I think there is NO comparison. I had issues mostly with the first touch and dribble zones. The first touch definitely works... against my first touch. The wafer thin 'sweet spot' is basically foam... and looks like it belongs as an accessory at Michael's or Jo Ann Fabrics. I did like how thin and seamless the upper was VS leather. Definitely more modern. With the Traxion 2.0 I felt more comfort and stability, however the flexibility of the AdiPower sole I prefer.

I am eager to get my hands on a pair of the new NitroCharge. With every gimmick adidas puts out there is always beauty, and I can definitely see that they follow in the foot steps of the AdiPower, which is a very smart move for adidas. I am a 6'2" size 12 wearing 40+ yard shot taking midfielder who has been true to the predator since the Accelerators. I can see why Van Persie sticks with his (custom sole plated) adidas comfort level, even if they are "slime" colored.

As fun as it is to anticipate and participate in the NEWEST adidas boots... it is even more disappointing when you lace up a pair that hinders your backspin juggling ability (I am shocked I have not heard a single player complain about the first touch zone). I actually believe that more of the wear testing professional players do is for themselves, VS the boots that actually get released to the general public. It honestly could be that Van Persie has been wearing his own version of the NitroCharge in disguise since the summer. Who knows... after the Beckham Clima Cool, and Predator X, I will gladly consider the Predator LZ the end of my adidas Predator subscription.

13. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No one has come out and said anything.....adidas is surely not going to draw attention to it. Personally I think it is partly superstition and partly that he prefers the adiPower to the LZ on a basic level. Possibly due to the leather upper and his specific boot demands. He seems very into a specific style boot at this point. Leather upper, full tongue - notice his Pred X was given a functional tongue - , striking element, bladed outsole in FG, and the bridged version of the split outsole Traxion bladed SG model, with fixed SG blades as oppose to removable blades. While he is partial to specific features, he regularly went into the new adiPower colors as they were released, so I don't think it is the specific color of a boot or one particular pair he uses over and over. I would have listed external heel counter as a preferred feature, but his adiPower SG with the custom outsole has no external heel counter do the way the outsole is constructed. I suppose they could have put the PowerSwerve or Pred X counter on there had he demanded it.

His LZ was clearly custom for him, with blades in FG but no external heel counter. The upper seemed to be HybridTouch from the up close pics, but he has always been a leather guy up to that point. The closest he came to a largely synthetic boot was the F-50+ if he had the retail material boot on, but he most likely had the all leather model that most of the name players were wearing - I need to find a close up pic.

I doubt we will ever see him the LZ again. I think he will wear the adiPower until the NitroCharge comes out and he will wear that boot from there on. The NC looks similar in shape to the adiPower, and if he is demanding a leather boot, the NC will be a lot easier to mock up in leather with a disguised paint job than the LZ. The LZ would have to have leather overlays on a leather upper to create the appearance of the synthetic retail boot. Now he could also not really care too much about the upper, and I/we could be over speculating. After all, he is pretty much a technical marvel and I don't think someone as gifted as him would really see a huge difference in performance, especially with custom lasted boots. He clearly has some specific make or break features he requires, but others seem to come and go.

My big question is if adidas is still making him adiPowers to hold him over or if he had a stock pile? I would guess it is the former because the slime colorway was the last one before the LZ and only around for a while so I don't think adidas would have sent him 10-15 pairs in FG and SG of a colorway that was lame duck. If they are still making it for him, they are most likely using the last colorway just to it seems slightly relevant for him to be in them.

14. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I never found the zone to be a negative in any way...not much of a positive either, but still. I actually love the LZ for what it is, but I think the adiPower might have been a better boot. Granted I wore the adiPower longer then LZ as I tore my ACL pretty soon after getting them.

As someone that wore Preds for so long, I am surprised you find the LZ touch zones to be obtrusive. The older Pred models were similar, IMO to the rubber on this. If anything for me the LZ takes it back to the days of the Predator Touch, Accelerators, and Precision. The Mania was the first boot to drastically reduce the rubber placement....and while everyone loved the Maina - and rightly so - lots of people complained that the rubber was reduced, but I suspect most of them are not playing anymore or not bothered with boots enough to even care these days.

Personally I would have liked to have seen the adiPower live on with the same outsole, sans blades and the LZ be a new silo to run against the CTR....but, I can appreciate the LZ for still being a Predator despite changes to the foundation.

JonIsAnOwl repped this.
  15. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think you hit the nail on the head with this bit JC.

I was one of the first people in the UK to get the LZ, and never once did it strike me as a 'Power' boot. I'd just been an avid wearer of the Laser IV before that (it's not often I stick by a boot, but the Laser IV was top notch!) and the contrast in feel between the two was amazing.

The LZ fits like a speed boot. Tight around the ankle, very figure hugging around the midfoot. Alongside the AdiPower, these were the best fitting boots I'd ever worn. The Laser IV just felt like a power boot though. Padded, thick, yet still lightweight. The LZ was a shell, the Laser felt like a battering ram.

Personally, and I said this in my review, the zones felt a little useless to me. If I could choose which ones to take off, it'd be the dribble zone, 'sweet-spot' (that name is so unbelievably inaccurate it's untrue) and the pass-pad. All three felt in the way, it didn't feel right using them. You know when a boot suits you when you just play football, but it felt like I had to 'adjust' my game slightly with the LZ.

Now before you slate me - let me explain. Because of the extra grip you received from the 'dribble' zone, I found the ball caught under my feet slightly. Therefore, I had to dribble more with the toes, than the outside of my foot. The sweetspot seemed to hinder me curling my shots. I don't know whether it's psychological, but I never felt comfortable and it just didn't work. The pass-pad was bleeding awkward to kick with too.

In comparison, I loved the AdiPower. It's a shame they literally didn't last me more than a month in either pair (I had two). Both fell apart seemingly instantaneously. With no apparent explanation. I'm hopeful that the NitroCharge does indeed replicate the AdiPower, but it strikes me more as a Pred X feeling boot than the AdiPower. I hope I'm wrong, and I imagine this will be the lightest Predator ever.. But having a boot like the AdiPower and the LZ would just seem to me like adidas would feel the two boots are way too similar.

This is all theoretical though. I'm eagerly anticipating Mercurial getting his pair of NitroCharges.

Mercurial4991 repped this.
  16. InTheUpper90s

InTheUpper90s Member

Sep 4, 2008
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    McClean in vapors iii's i believe

[​IMG]

JonIsAnOwl repped this.
  17. Rightfoot5

Rightfoot5 Member

Dec 27, 2004
    Richmond, VA
    Anyone know what boots Kagawa's wearing? I know he was wearing F50s, but I can't tell what these boots are.

18. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Via Getty Images they are the last adiZero model in what looks to be a miadidas colorway to match the Japan kit. They look to be white/silver with blue and red accents and red laces.

GrassRouteOne and Rightfoot5 repped this.
  19. jackrmee

jackrmee Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Swansea, UK
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Can anyone tell me who used to wear these boots? Better still, some photos?

[​IMG]

20. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Messi was the main wearer, they were one of his colourways in the final few versions of that boot. He wore the leather version over the synthetic though. Off the top of my head i can remember Gareth Bale wearing them, Ashley Young and Stewart Downing. Those are the ones in the prem.

Why do you need pictures?

appleCORR

jackrmee repped this.
  21. LNSC Cr

LNSC Cr Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Gareth Bale in the primes gareth bale f50.jpg

jackrmee repped this.
  22. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I love Bale.

23. GrassRouteOne

GrassRouteOne Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    He made them to go along with the miadidas campaign in November, but then got injured so adidas had to shelve his involvement - a real shame, but it's great that he's getting some wear out of his custom boots!

24. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    They look pretty good....they remind me a of a better version of that white/pink/blue adiZero 1.5.

25. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Looks like umbro are getting rid of everyone - MIchael Owen has tweeted a picture of his new CTRs. He said he hopes he scores a couple in them, sadly that would involve him playing for that to happen!

appleCORR