Player Salaries 2014

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by dashiel, Apr 10, 2014.

1. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    #1 dashiel, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/April 1, 2014 Salary Information - By Club.pdf

Landon is now the highest paid played on the Galaxy, by a hair ($4.58 vs $4.5 million for Keane) – okay not really a hair, more like a decent annual salary for many people, but you get the idea.

Omar is on $1.25

Dempsey is on $6.7 million
    Bradley is on $6.5 million
    Defoe is on $6 million

The names of footballers earning less than Dempsey, Defoe & Bradley is stunning; starters for Barcelona, Madrid, Chelsea, City, Bayern, United.

2. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    We certainly didn't shell out the big bucks for our two new forwards. In fact, given their salaries, it's pretty easy to predict that they will be pretty good bargains.

3. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    • Juninho needs to have more games like he did on Sunday to justify $325K
    • McBean took a pretty massive salary cut
    • Rogers needs to do – well anything – to justify $160K a year

4. Grok

Grok Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Robbie Rogers has a guaranteed salary of $167,500 for 2014. Just let that sink in for a minute.

5. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite the salary bump for Donovan.

6. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    That's what was so suprising about the Dempsey Bradley signings. They were making low to mid 1 million on the outside of consistent playing time in Europe with questions about their status and MLS pays them 4-5 times their salaries. Wonder why they had to overpay so much to attract them. If they stayed in Europe their salaries would have been about the same and MLS could have paid them around 4 which would have been so much more they could have gotten in Europe. Why transfer fee then almost$7 million each?! Why so much. Any ideas?

7. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    TFC simply had more desire then they were really worth for most (any?) other clubs as far as a transfer fee.

As far as salary goes they had to pay the "moving away from higher level competition" penalty, plus the players also knew that the desire of TFC far out-weighed any other team as well.

Basically they were held ransom and more then willingly paid it.

The Cadaver and TrickHog repped this.
  8. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Rogers needs to get on the field. We could get a decent player for his wages!

9. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    My guess is to get them into MLS before the WC, and be able to use the combined MLS, WC connection to help market the teams for the next few years. Also we don't know what each of the transfer fees might have been. I don't recall precisely, but didn't Bradley and Defoe only have 6 months left on their contract before they were available as free transfers?

SUDano repped this.
  10. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Good Take. Just thought they could have done that at 4-5 and not almost 7.

11. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think his salary would now make him one of the top earners at Tottenham (his reported earnings at Spurs were false, he earned around £50k). I don't think he earns any more than starting attacking players (basically non-defenders) at the clubs you mentioned. His earnings equates to £75k per/wk and which starting attacking player at City, Chelsea or United earn less than that? Genuine question because I can't think of any.

Not to say it isn't obscene, just sayin'. He might get taxed less though because he doesn't have to pay state tax living in Washington. He likely earns less then guys like Totti for Roma. I personally think Omar's contract is pretty big as well when you consider what defenders are paid around the world. Omar earns more than Benatia before he signed for Roma and he was one of the best defenders in Italy and is the best right now.

12. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Interesting the Jose Villarreal is still on the roster even though loaned. I guess that means that he could be recalled in June.

esco300 repped this.
  13. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Eto’s, Ba, Mikel, Oscar, Navas, Giggs, Welbeck, Hernandez are all on or below £75,000 according to various sources. Those figures almost certainly need to be taken with a grain of salt.

SoCalYid repped this.
  14. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's funny with Bradley.

His reported salary at Roma is often misreported because people aren't aware of how salaries are reported in Italy, they usually mean post tax earnings. When Bradley first signed he earned €850k net and by MLS salary reporting standards that would equate to $2.36m. Still significantly less than $6.5 million. I'm less sure about this but some people like GDS said he earned €1.1m net before he was sold. It would play to form on how Roma contracts are structured, most have salary escalators yearly. You should see Boriello's, it would make you sick. Anyways if that true which I'm inclined to believe it is then he was earning $3m gross.

The problem Bradley had to my knowledge was more about timing. Roma had an issue, the club have wanted Nianggolan from Cagliari since before we bought Bradley but Cellino is a massive douche and hates Roma. He only became receptive to selling Nianggolan this past window, which we now know is because he was eying Leeds. Why that's important for Bradley is because Nianggolan would keep him out of the team, so he had to find another club. If we bought Nianggolan in the summer Bradley's options would have been better.

The only club that had an offer for him in Italy during the winter market was Verona. I hate the club for many reasons but at the time it wouldn't have been a bad footballing decision. Problem is if his salary figures are correct only a few clubs in Italy could match his salary. He would be a starter most likely but he may have had to take a pay cut, he earned more than everyone at Verona with the second estimate.

Clearly because of the World Cup, playing time was important. There's his predicament though because his reputation was much better in Italy. If Bradley had the luxury to be patient a club like Inter could have picked him up for like €1m-ish a year in the summer. Lazio would too but Roma would never sell to them. Possibly Milan but I don't think he would start many matches. Fiorentina would be a in the discussion but €1m+ would be tough to get for a player of his rep.

So those were his best options in Italy, outside of Italy he may have had interest but not likely from top clubs. Someone in England probably would have picked him up in the summer but if he wanted to start they would have been bottom half teams.It would be a Jozy to Sunderland type transfer.

Considering all that, when Toronto came around and offered to double his wages and probably gave him clauses about loans, I think it made the decision easier. There's a chance imo Bradley will go back to Roma on loan or maybe to another Italian club.

15. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was surprised that Franklin is almost at 300k.

16. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. JBZTV

JBZTV Member+

May 10, 2009
    Yeah, if you're still wondering why Sean is no longer here, just realize that you can add up the salaries of Samuel, Friend, Husidic, and Gargan, and you're still saving 10k on what Sean is making this year.

Berks, jmaestro, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  18. Grok

Grok Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  19. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. That's how you have to work this league with the restrictive salary cap...

20. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to say it, but you have to admire RSL expenditure-to-results ratio based on that chart.

Berks, dashiel and The Cadaver repped this.
  21. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Except what exactly has RSL won in the past 4 seasons? And I don't count "Western Conference Championships".

dashiel repped this.
  22. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and Houston comes off pretty well in that regard too. What's the old saying about working smarter, not harder? For those two its a question of spending smarter, not harder.

23. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    What about SKC? The spent less than RSL and actually won something.

TrickHog repped this.
  24. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It's interesting that Hoffman and McBean's salaries have moved back to the minimum. This is Hoffman's third season and McBean's fourth. I wonder if salaries reset at some point or whether it was a reporting error.