Player Evaluation, Speculation, and Prognostication

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by QuakeAttack, Oct 29, 2013.

1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Err, I was rounding up! Actually I was mistakenly thinking of his career total, which is at over 3 dozen I think.

2. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5 goals in 10 games the season before we got him.

3. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think so. He's on loan from Tottenham at Derby, and getting minutes in a team that's a promotion candidate. Unless he stops getting minutes, I would think the chances of getting him back are slim to none. I wish that were not the case.

SoccerPrime repped this.
  4. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Freddy Adu was released by Bahia today. Just want to preemptively get in front of anybody on here who thinks the Quakes should bring him in.

I've got one word for you!

SJTillIDie repped this.
  5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NY Cosmos FTW

Szetela-Adu, all star lineup

6. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This

7. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    No need to bring in Freddy...

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Last time Freddy was any good he was 12 years old.

9. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Great minds think alike, I almost said the same thing

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I posted this about Adu in the NY Cosmos thread and they are running wild with it.

11. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If the Quakes could get Mattocks, I think it would be a reasonable risk. Even if he's as difficult as Convey was, Convey did have one great year ;). Sacrificing Gordon and a draft pick or something to that effect would be worth it. I don't think there's much point in keeping Lenhart, Gordon and Jahn on the same roster if the Quakes are serious about changing playing philosophies a bit. Getting a guy like Mattocks lets Wondolowski move even closer to goal where he belongs and then you can play up the center from deep, move the ball wide, and take some shots from outside as well with the leagues best poacher constantly sitting around the box.

markmcf8 and ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  12. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Wondo is better getting into a good position on the second (or followup) run. I would like to see a very fast (and preferably big) man that can play right on the line of the defense to keep them stretched. The kind of guy that will force both center backs to play back a bit (one to cover him and the other to over his speed a little deeper). That might be Mattocks.

Let Wondo play underneath in the seam (ala Keane) and us Wondo as the target man since he should have a little more time. Wondo is good at holding and distributing... he can then hit the wing or go through the big man and follow the play up for the second ball.

With the right front man, I don't think we need an official CM... I think Cronin could do the job just fine and then we might be able to dig up a proper enforcer.

13. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they'd have to go through the superdraft or weighted lottery... tough for us to get either of them unless few clubs are interested in them. they are cracking prospects but not sure they have what it takes to be a starter at the MLS level yet. if we want someone to really push Baca for the CM spot right away maybe best to try to trade for a veteran like feilhaber or lindpere... problem is those guys may not have the legs/engine or tackling/marking ability to play CM in our 442 system.

15. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    #116 Beerking, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    Something I have long suspected on both counts.

17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I'm guessing, but I think that was more Doyle than Wolff or Kaval. Doyle probably told him that he wasn't going to make the effort to sign more players, because after all, he managed to sign almost all of the 2012 SS winning team (except of course Dawkins), so why wouldn't it be successful in 2013?

18. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Doyle is an asshat.

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #119 JazzyJ, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    OK, for all the Baca-haters, mlssoccer posted a list of the 50 most accurate passers in MLS. Guess who's sitting at #14? And there are just a few ahead of him who had a greater percentage of "opponent's half / own half" passes. There are no other Quakes in the list. It's a Bacanalian world out there, my friends. Let's drink to that! :--).

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...eaking-down-50-most-accurate-passers-mls-2013

markmcf8 and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  20. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What about former Quakes Ned Grabovoy and . . . James Riley!?!?!

21. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, Grabavoy's numbers are impressive too, and also a little better than Baca on the opponent's half / own half breakdown. Riley is surprising, and for a defender, more of his passes were in the opponent's half! Just goes to show you that, while no one was paying attention, he was living the life of...,oh, never mind.

ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  23. evade6317

evade6317 Member+

Jun 27, 2007
    Savannah, GA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big whoop. The last two people on that list are Robbie Keane and Lee Nguyen and they are light years better than Baca.

Linebacker Derek Smith of the 49ers used to rack up big numbers too and he was $hit. Everyone clamored about his high tackle numbers while his critics pointed out that all of his tackles were in the secondary or that he was getting credit for falling on the pile.

When the 49ers drafted Patrick Willis and saw what a real run-stopping linebacker looked like, everyone forgot about Derek Smith and his inflated numbers.

When the Quakes get a legit CM/CAM who knows how to pass to the forwards and make the opposing goalie earn his money, everyone will forget about Baca (and Cronin for that matter).

24. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many of those accurate passes led to a goal for the Quakes?

It would be interesting to analyze our goals scored and see how many had a Baca pass in the string of passes leading up to it, and which pass it was. We know how many assists he had, but, what of the pass before an assist, and then the one before that one, and so on.

25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States