Player Evaluation, Speculation, and Prognostication

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by QuakeAttack, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Qrom

Qrom Member

Oct 26, 2007
    east bay
    Edu would be a upgrade to Cronin. I'm sure there's plenty of other teams that would be interested in a trade.Sorry Sam but this would be totally awsome.

2. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Edu would cost way more than Cronin and since we already have Pierazzi we really, really don't need him.

SJTillIDie repped this.
  3. Qrom

Qrom Member

Oct 26, 2007
    east bay
    an upgrade is a upgrade and i'd take it.

4. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree with the point in the abstract, it is possible to think one player has a problem holding him back that is "fixable" while another one just lacks the tools to stand out. Not saying that is the case here, both theoretically could make some improvements in their game and succeed. Or neither. Just there are some guys that clearly don't have the tools to succeed at this level.

5. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Bear in mind that in Doyle and Wat's mind, an "attacking player" is one who occasionally crosses the offensive side of the center line :--).

6. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldnt say Cronin is a ball winner, I think he is a better technical and attacking player then people give him credit for. Just in the quakes system last couple years he was the player who hung back a little more, so was more frequently farther from goal. Still, hes had 10 assists over the past 2 years, which is really pretty good for a conservative midfield role.

I dont see Edu as a clear upgrade. I think as a CM he is generally overrated on big soccer. See better upside on him as a central defender. Either way, no point in going after him for us at the expense of Cronin. I think Cronin fits in better with Pierazzi, and we know what he brings to the team.

leocal repped this.
  7. Qrom

Qrom Member

Oct 26, 2007
    east bay
    Don't know why people wouldn't want Edu, he is a much better player then Cronin at the same age. I'd much rather face a team with cronin on it then Edu. So if we do land him just trade cronin to chicago for allocation or something and its a win for everyone.

8. leocal

leocal Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Fog City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cronin fan. He stays.

9. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #609 lurking, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    Maybe because people dont share your opinion that Edu is much better then Cronin.

Listen, let me put it this way, either Edu is a DP, and will cost us WAY more then Cronin, or Edu will require trading up in the allocation order, which will cost us something, and may still be a bigger cap hit then Cronin. So either way, its not hey, I have Cronin, and I have Edu, let me choose the better one. Its a matter of we have to PAY for Edu, when we already have Cronin. Why spend to make, what we hope (since nobody has seen Edu play CM for 2 years here) is an upgrade, when we have a perfectly capable player on a very reasonable contract already?

It just doesnt make sense. The only way I see moving Cronin is if we move him to make room for a much more dynamic attacking player. A Valeri or Morales type.

QuietType and leocal repped this.
  10. Qrom

Qrom Member

Oct 26, 2007
    east bay
    when cronin gets capped 45 times and gets robbed of a world cup goal then they might know better. LOL fanboys.

11. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edu has lost a lot of his luster since 2010. Spent a majority of the last 2 years riding the bench. Played in turkey and did not play nearly as well as he did when he was in scotland. His play for the USMNT has noticeably deteriorated significantly.

DotMPP and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  12. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Can't argue that after the way they described Pierazzi as a guy with attacking potential.
    Technical player? No. He has a decent right foot.

13. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok... I would consider being able to hit accurate passes with the right foot a technical skill, but if you disagree I wont argue semantics. Hes not going to dribble three people or make nifty little moves, but when he finds a pocket of space near the 18 hes generally pretty good about finding a teammate.

14. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find this interesting because I don't like Cronin (at MLS level) and I don't like Edu (at NT level)... Cronin was one of two starters I wanted to see replaced/upgraded after 2012 (along with Hernandez at CB), and I'm happy to see Edu out of the national team picture. They both scare me, but for different reasons, Cronin just seems reckless at times, and runs around like he has no idea what he's doing, Edu I don't think can concentrate for more than a few minutes at a time as if he has ADHD...

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we better be getting used to it Im afraid. were a small club :D

jesus dempsey and bradley broke down the doors.

16. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    It's been an hour since the supposed Billy Shuler draw. Not a tweet so far...

17. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As bad as some people think our offseason has been so far, I'm glad we aren't DC. What they've done today is shocking.

First they pick up over $400k worth of contracts deemed too expensive by other teams in Stage 1 of the Re-entry draft, which basically capstraps them.

Today, they trade a home grown player AND #1 allocation spot (Mo Edu alledgedly) to rival Philly for an oldish CB making $200k in salary (not helping their cap issues). They want Pappa, but are now 6th in the allocation order, so that's probably not happening.

This is the true definition of not having a plan.

In comparison, I'm glad the Quakes aren't making moves for the sake of making moves. The Quakes slow roll approach is a beautiful thing, assuming we aren't done making moves yet. ;)

18. soccerbone

soccerbone Member+

Apr 12, 2002
    Los Altos, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #619 soccerbone, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So "At least we're not Chivas USA!" is the bar?

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  20. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chivas is acting like a team this year. Like Cabrera as coach. Jean-Baptiste is a good player, Rosales is good when healthy (almost never)...and they just signed Bofo Batista.

This is a good reference.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/transactions/2014

21. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

34 year old forwards, from a league that is played at a much slower pace, usually work out pretty well.

22. soccerbone

soccerbone Member+

Apr 12, 2002
    Los Altos, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great as it would be, not holding out hope fore a big signing to boost next year's attendance.
    Last year we stood pat despite believing a new stadium was coming. We'll see.