Plans for area around BBVA Stadium

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Danilo-11, Jul 18, 2012.

1. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not a big Phish follower but I heard years ago by an old college buddy of mine that there was this couple that got the clever idea to make simple burritos and sell them outta their truck while they follow Phish on tour all over the nation.
    It worked out so well that they never needed to work for someone else.
    I enjoy it when devout lefties latch on to sincere capitalistic opportunities and enjoy the fruits of their success. So there is something to be said about food trucks. Personally, when I hear food truck I think of #5 and the movie Short Circuit!

troutseth repped this.
  2. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea we're just copying Austin cause it's cool :rolleyes: It's more like Houston is catching up to the rest of the country. Outside of Texas food trucks are very common and very good especially in pedestrian cities.

3. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Houston has not be a downtown type of city until recently. I've eaten on enough roach coaches when I was younger, that it doesn't interest me.

4. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    8th Wonder Brewery is stepping up to the plate and pushing their tour hours later in the day for the Dynamo game this Saturday.

http://8thwonderbrew.com/

Dynamo pre-game tour at 8th Wonder 5p-8p, Saturday (6/22). $5 tour if you wear Dynamo gear or orange.

redinthemorning repped this.
  5. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was always under the impression (granted I wasn't around yet) that Houston's downtown was decent until the 1980's, but when the oil collapse hit and the suburbs started building up, the whole ghost town after 5 p.m. reputation started building.

6. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #81 Tigereye, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
    Bumping this due new development going next door. EaDo Station Apartments by Mill Creek Residential. 5 story building, 316 units. Ground Breaking Nov 2013. Developers hope to have open by August 2014, projected opening of East End Rail lines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brahmafutbol repped this.
  7. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #82 Tigereye, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
    And for anyone wondering about the long-planned International Promenade...

[​IMG]

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/bus...s-may-make-EaDo-a-go-to-place-4870376.php#/13

EDIT: And a recent PDF on EaDo developments...

http://www.globalcenturydev.com/files/investors_final2.pdf

brahmafutbol and Hydro repped this.
  8. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice post tigereye!

I can see me moving downtown one day, i like the developments.

Tigereye repped this.
  9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does anyone need a grocery store? Aren't all urban hipsters smarter than everyone else by eating exclusively from food trucks?

Levy2k6 repped this.
  10. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are about to build a food truck park out here off highway 6 and memorial in the energy corridor.

Finally something for us who live outside the loop and outside the beltway.

Now I can ride terry Hershey park and George bush and get some expensive truck food.

Is Hydro gonna put a truck out there tho?

11. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Where, where? Had not hear about this park near the energy corridor.

My bus development and marketing department staff are terrible. I hired them from the Dynamo FO:eek::(

More info please Levycito?

Tigereye repped this.
  12. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hydro repped this.
  13. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hydro needs to bring a Papusa truck to downtown Austin. We love-em our food trucks over here.

14. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info. More places where i will be getting fattER eating stuff i shouldnt be eating but too tempting.

The atmosphere i hope they can recreate is that of Asian hawker stalls. They are soo inviting, family friendly, such a fun cultural experience.

[​IMG]

You in Austin and come here for the games? True fan!

I dont go to Austin that often, didnt know they are into food trucks. Weather is nice to spend a weekend around 6th street listening to so,e young peoples music.

15. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got lots of food trucks. Whole food truck park areas. The city regulates them too much.

Bring a truck up here and put it downtown so I can walk to it please.

16. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Austin is great for food trucks! The cities around Houston have succombed to the restaurant lobby too much - it is difficult to operate in Houston.

17. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    the problem with the Austin food truck scene is that now there are so many that some of them are pretty bad. before it was the actual talented chefs out there slinging unique offerings and now its the thing to do.

of course becaused its in the SoCo area the hipters will hype it on yelp, but if you know your food trucks some will be a letdown.

DonJuego repped this.
  18. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    of course! But not all that dissimilar to the restaurant scene either; some are just downright bad. The bad ones end up gone at some point.

*rey* repped this.
  19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but its hard to put a value on the dust and flies in some of those lots. Really adds to the product and atmosphere. I mean, why go to an air conditioned restaurant when you can replicate 3rd world eating conditions in a parking lot?

ChrizG13 repped this.
  20. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only food truck I know is the Korean Mexican BBQ whatever thing in front of Little Woodrow's, but I really like that place.

21. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't have the exceptional without the bad as well. Praise the variety!

*rey* and troutseth repped this.
  22. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Sure, I get that.

But twice in a row I've had a bad taco at two different Austin food trucks that get rave reviews. A bad taco is unacceptable to me in Texas. That's like having bad New York pizza in the NYC area.

Just cause you're a mobile restaurant dont mean your good. I hope all those yelp reviews were by people who have only recently move to Austin from Portland or Seattle. :)

23. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Food trucks can be convenient, but I hate standing around and eating. I like the one in front of Little Woodrow's though. There was a bunch of taco trucks under the name of Los Gemelo's that had awesome fajita tacos with grilled onions aguacate, and mexican cheese crumbled over. Not sure if they are still around. I love a good taco stand, or Chicago dog stand.

24. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Hydro, you might not need to go that far. The other end of the EaDo International Promenade ends next to Food Truck Park, virtually connecting BBVA Compass with it, albeit a 6 block distance away.

BTW - Swamplot today is confirming construction on the long-delayed Promenade will begin in Late October ...sans Kiss Band performance of course lol (see earlier renderings if you don't get joke)

http://swamplot.com/stadium-walking-in-east-downtown/2013-10-07/#more-71672

25. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow, theres so much about Htown i don't know!!

You may have found me my next place to live. And you and @Levy2k6 found me new places to eat. Thanks guys!

Tigereye and Levy2k6 repped this.