Plans for area around BBVA Stadium

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Danilo-11, Jul 18, 2012.

1. The Frenchman

The Frenchman Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Katy
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Ok, I'll give you that, and the pretzels.

2. crocken

crocken Member

Jan 28, 2011
    MD
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    i hate how moon tower inn is like... JUST far enough away that the walk seems too daunting to do.

3. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moon-Tower Inn > life

4. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know Newtex will get me for talking about the East End as opposed to EDo or whatever (I always get confused...) but this story on Channel 13 http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=9104210 talks about making the area bicycle and pedestrian friendly, upgrading the hike and bike trails and bike lanes and tying it into the MetroRail. The lady is showing a map of something, either the rail or bike trails, and it goes right by BBVA.

5. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think most of what they are talking about is in the East End, not EaDo which is where the stadium is located. The map they were showing was mostly of the light rail lines.

Here is a map of the East End Hike and Bike trails that they are renovating and adding connections to the light rail stops. The East End light rail line runs along east to west just below the trail. BBVA Compass is in the lower left of this map. It doesn't look to me like they are running a connector to the EaDo/Stadium stop in front of BBVA. The light rail stops are at York, Lockwood, Altic, Cesar Chavez, and 70th. You can see those spurs on the Hike and Bike trail. The closest ones to the BBVA Compass stop are the trails near Paige and Bastrop.

http://www.greatereastend.com/east-end-hike-and-bike-trails

6. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    El Tiempo on Navigation now open near the stadium. I wonder if they opened just because the Dynamo opened a new stadium, or they already had plans to open there.

Ninfas on Navigation now has some competition.

redinthemorning repped this.
  7. shoeless

shoeless Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I like El Tiempo, but the food at this location was shit. None of it was good. The ********ing valets put cones out along the street blocking people from parking.

I think this area is going to start changing soon. New construction is spreading from EaDo.

8. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is very confusing, the family that that previously owned the original Ninfas is now in direct competition.

9. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't know the connection. What, noncompete clause in contract expired?

I hope they improve their food. Its another option place to eat before the game.

10. The Frenchman

The Frenchman Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Katy
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Ninfas, hands down. Mama Ninfa got that place down and glad the new owners didn't change the recipes. Killer margaritas.

11. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump.
    Any word on this. I know we have some East...Do....East-whatever-ers on here and beer drinkers. Whats the story for Dynamo games?

12. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

They have started doing tours on most Saturdays from noon to 3 pm ish. I think once it was 11 am to 2 pm. It is $5 for the tour which includes samples. They usually have a food truck nearby.

Might work for as a Dynamo pre-tailgate destination but it is more of a lunch thing.

13. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't there supposed to be a Sister Cities garden or something?

14. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

The Shenzhen Garden exists. Sort of. It is at the intersection of what would be Bastrop (if there was a street there) and Polk. Why?

15. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  17. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly what I'm talking about. There was quite a bit of positive hype because of the different cultures and diversities in and around the city of Houston and how it would be great for the city. I was really looking forward to it. It and Orange Avenue would look really nice together if they would just repave Orange Avenue.

18. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
  19. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  20. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From that article: "The HFP team are hoping to utilize a nearby parking lot once a month to accommodate as many as 20 food trucks. The expanded space will be a part of plans to make the Houston Food Park a venue for special events.

“We want to bring an urban festival scene to the city,” Tirzo said. “We want to celebrate arts, food and music in a setting that reflects Houston as the melting pot it is.”

So do all of us Houston Dynamo fans amigo! Association Football is a very urbanesque (sp?) sport and Houston home games are always a fun festival. It all combines to reflect how Houston is. It really is a wonderful thing we have going with our hometown soccer team Mr. Tirzo.

21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone ever see some of the food inspection reports on some of these mobile food vendors? Yeah, let's just say if the idea is to spread additional 3rd world intestinal disorders to Houston this is a great idea.

I frankly do not understand the allure of the food truck. It's an urban hipster thing they are trying to do like Austin has. If you like eating food in a dusty lot with blowing trash and flies and bees hovering around you plate, it'll be right in your wheelhouse.

22. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX

1) The news loves to attack Food trucks BUT the rate of inspections issues is lower on food trucks than the rate for restaurants here in Houston.
    2) The reason they are great, IF YOU GO THE RIGHT ONES, they give local cooks and chefs that have immense skill an opportunity to ply their trade they likely would not have otherwise been able to accomplish thanks to lower start up costs.
    3) I would think you would appreciate the entrepreneurial spirit of many of the new food trucks.

23. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    mobile vendors are ubiquitous world-wide just like affordable health care. not just in austin. some of the best meals i've had have been curb side.

the same chefs, kitchen staff that sell you $40 a plate food can be found stumbling out of a bar and straight to a truck.

goes to show you the difference between a true Republican that believes in the free market and a hater. :thumbsup:

24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of those trucks aren't properly licensed or regulated. You really need to look at the violations reports closely because 6 minor violations aren't the same as 1 major one. Or put another way, some violations are clearly straight reds. I would suspect the city would be real tight on a higher profile lot like this one.

The Austin ones Ive been to aren't culinary incubators, they are urban hipsters serving stuff out of a trailer. Entrprenuers, yes. I've gone there a few times, some are better than others.

25. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I think maybe you ought to look at them more closely as compared to normal restaurants in Houston. Bad is bad no matter where it is located. But more failing restaurants than food trucks by percentage in Houston.