Plan for the Five May/June Matches

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Maximum Optimal, Mar 28, 2012.

1. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could do that or a bunch of other things but those are different from Klinsmann's schemes. Should Klinsmann be playing a different scheme? That is not a very interesting discussion at this point. If he starts to fail with his scheme then it becomes interesting.

JK played Johnson at LB simply because Chandler was unavailable. Chandler is still the team's starting LB.

Klinsmann's plans for Johnson has always been as an attacking player. Go back and read JK's comments in September about proactive attacking players who can read ahead in the game. Who was JK's poster child? Remember he called Johnson into camp even though the 1 time switch had not yet been approved by FIFA and Johnson could not have played in the CR or Belgium game.

2. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dunno, im more basing it from what i saw when i watched it again recently from espn3's replay feature. I could be wrong though, but alot of those shots italy put up were at the end when we essentially were bunkering and not trying to lose, and even then most of those were pretty weak shots

3. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Williams is a good guy to have on the bench right now and certainly a great prospect for the future, but yes, this isn't disastrous.

Hope for a speedy recovery.

6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    .....because Chandler was "conveniently" unavailable. The USMNT isn't a league team so we can't hold tryouts every day. We all know Dolo will be old by 2014, that Chandler is supposed to be at RB not LB, Lichaj was unavailable for Italy, and he is actually a RB as well who would be making the switch to LB, etc. etc.

I always thought of Fabian as a mid but recently have suggested he go to LW and put Shea at mid. The response on this site was that Fabian should be at LB and Shea can't play mid.

7. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the 2 matches where Dolo, Chandler, and Johnson were available (France and Slovenia), Chandler played LB and Chandler played AML and LM. Isuspect that will not change.

I think what people are saying is that we are so deep with international quality players at CM that it makes no sense to put Shea there since he has never played that position.

8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You mean Fabian played AML and LM?

yes, people think Shea can't play centrally in mid.

But I actually wanted to comment on something else.

I get the feeling that you think LB is not an attacking position.

Actually, Klinsi tends to go for attacking L&RB's. This has to do with his preference for a 4-3-3, even if he hasn't played that, strictly speaking. The fact that Fabian could defend while bringing the ball up the field and give it to somebody else to shoot since his own shot might be not the best - he doesn't score much? - would militate for the proposition that Klinsi plans to have the Katzenjammer kids, Timmy and Fabian, at R&L back, respectively, by the time the WC gets under way in Brazil in '14. Indeed, if the intention is to play both Dempsey and Jozy forward with Donovan, that would mean that Fabian would act as a left wing since Dempsey doesn't play wide LW much and likes to come from the left towards the middle and Donovan likes to line up right (where he played for Everton this season) and Jozy plays centrally.