PL Match 27: Newcastle United Vs Aston Villa, Sunday 23rd February.

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Russell1892, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Howay then, as much enthusiasm as you can muster for this. We welcome Aston Villa to our place; they've pulled clear of the relegation zone slightly in recent weeks. I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that we've been in free fall recently, we've lost our last three games by an aggregate of 11-0, and you have to go back to 26th December for our last win at home (5-1 against Stoke), we've lost 4 in a row at home in the PL, 5 if you include dropping out of the FA cup against Cardiff.

Our last win was at West Ham in YoCab's last game - when he was the difference.

Still a win here could make all the difference, as what was a promising campaign has petered out into mid-table insignificance. If we don't get our arse in gear even finishing in the top half could be a stretch. West Ham are now 6 points behind us, just 4 games ago they were 17 points behind us.

Colo is expected to be back, so that probably means Saylor f*cking off to the bench, Dummett is expected to start at LB. Remy is back from his suspension, and about time too. It's no coincidence that we've been appalling since selling YC and losing Remy to suspension.

Howay the lads.

2. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Early in 2nd half:

So far, par for the course - create tons of chances, miss ALL of them. Throw in some glaring defensive lapses. The usual..

3. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remy scores at very end for the win. Finally!!

4. Shameus

Shameus Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Middle of a Migraine
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought there would be more jubilation at us scoring for the first time in 7 & 1/2 hours at home.

I do not understand why Pardon't thinks playing a 4-4-2 with Tiote & Anita as the engine room is OK? And for the love of Adam will they just bite the bullet and sell Cisse already? He's not worth £10 mil, hell if we get 8 I'd do a jig.

5. fatfan-labamba

Dec 14, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nice at the death winner. He got a yellow card for "excessive celebration". Goal and win must mean a lot atm for newcastle. My brother is happy as safety looks more secure now for his team.

6. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't even be bothered with a fist pump at the goal. Was more like about time!

7. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it's funny, I have literally stopped getting excited whenever we have a clear shot on goal, because I assume we're going to miss it.

8. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I'd say we deserved it, but did we? If we deserved it, we would have scored on any of the other 9 billion chances.

I guess we can start planning now for next seasons transfer, cup and Premier League malaise.

Thx,

Jay!

9. mplsTOON

mplsTOON Member

Apr 25, 2006
    @ St James Park
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Did anyone else feel the same way after this game as after we beat Fulham at the death last season?

10. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It definitely had a similar feel. Though I don't think we were ever in danger of the drop this year, just felt like it because we're crap.

JayRockers! repped this.
  11. mplsTOON

mplsTOON Member

Apr 25, 2006
    @ St James Park
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I agree...It seemed we were confused and unmotivated (and shite) in the beginning and became a bit desperate for a goal toward the end.