PL-era Sheep Draft - Main Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by cr7torossi, Jun 2, 2012.

1. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  2. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    How about Paul Merson?
    Wasn't a Wenger signing though, and had complicating issues so maybe I'm cheating...but I think he played better at Villa than under Wenger (though Villa wasn't the first Club he moved to).

People often used to say the same about Clough and Forest (do any of you United fans remember Peter Davenport? Or Neil Webb?) although often people said that when Clough spent big money the player struggled to play as impressively as at his previous Club. Teddy Sheringham goes against both those theories though I think, improving at Forest then again afterwards.

3. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Gary Birtles! He was actually slightly before my time in terms of remembering him as a player, but he's always one of the legendary flop signings brought up by United fans.

I don't remember too much of Davenport pre-United but certainly at Old Trafford. He was alright in his first season too, top-goalscorer by a decent margin before tailing off. Webb had that bad injury playing for England not long after signing and was never really the same player again. Hard to say what would've been.

You got me searching for this (Webb related), what a memorable opening day to a season that was! The result, the weather, Michael Knighton doing keepy-ups on the pitch.

PDG1978 repped this.
  4. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    If you want to think you're more objective than me (after claiming a few days ago that Welbeck was worth 25mm, or my favorite Smith, Fletcher and Jones will play Makelele, Lamps and Essien off the pitch claim), go right ahead. I've made my point on RvP, I'm glad we didn't buy him and we're not winning the league this season anyway. I'm sitting on a beach in the Carribean, I don't give a ********. Well, except for getting another Corona.

5. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah I thought about mentioning Birtles too! I think I've read that he was the 'Roy of the Rovers' striker of the season/year in '79 or '80.
    To be fair to Webb he did get that nasty injury didn't he, which might have slowed him up a bit (and he wasn't quick before, but he did get box to box and score quite a few goals for Forest as well as setting Franz Carr free down the wing with his passes).
    There's actually a Davenport compilation on Youtube too, with a couple of Man Utd clips on it:

7. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Looking to initiate the 2nd version of the PL/CL era draft but rather than restricting to players who played in the premier league, I am going to open it for all players who had their primes in this era (definitions later).

Bumping this to see if the people who participated in the previous one are interested.

8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'd like to, but given my current lack of free time, I'd have to play with a partner.

9. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Want to partner up?

10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  11. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I'll participate; hopefully some of my time constraints have abated.

Meanwhile, it's funny reading things we argued about 2 years ago. RVP certainly integrated much better than I thought (until this season!), though he's also had his injuries and he faded last year after all that unexpected health. Meanwhile, I think I did win the below point :)

johno repped this.
  12. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I would agree Nasri. Not so sure abt Fabregas. He's not been used properly and the whole team has unferperformed but... i dont really wanna fight this point.

13. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    I'm interested as long as it starts on or after May 4.

14. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I'm down.

15. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    That should be doable. We start in 2 weeks but have an extended deadline of a week for the 1st pick.

So far, we have
    @Stud83
    @nicephoras
    @johno + @benni...
    @JamesA + @nimma
    @Father Ted
    @Umar
    @thebigman
    @J'can ?

Need a few more participants to make it interesting.

16. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Go on then. Put me down.

17. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    You should probably ask in the current sheep draft thread?

18. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    I thought I already did.

19. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Wasn't interested in arguing it. It's amusing and interesting to see a capsule of a debate from a few years ago so starkly.

benni... and johno repped this.
  20. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    @cr7torossi I am in (I think) but how does the goat draft work??

21. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    See the first post of this thread mate, and go on from there.

I set a criteria for every round, and people send me their picks. If there are collisions on a certain player, that certain player is banned and you have up to 3 picks to make a successful pick otherwise I would assign a sheep to your team for that round (a sheep would be a Ali Dia level player). Go over the first few pages of this thread or the more recent all-time draft here - https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/sheep-draft-v-main-thread.2000793/ - and give us a shout if you have any questions.

@Teso Dos Bichos ; are you in?

22. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Man I love these, I'll enjoy watching since there's no hope of me finding time.

23. Michaelf7777777

Apr 20, 2012
    Wellington
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    I'm in for the new edition of this

24. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club: