Pipita Higuain ... Y ahora? Real Madrid (R)

Discussion in 'Argentinos Abroad' started by vipnerd, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Illrod3

Illrod3 Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Re: Pipita Higuain ... Y ahora?

Maybe we are confusing each other, I am looking at the future (young players coming up). Out of your list I would only consider Palacios, Tevez, Messi, Pavone and Saviola for 2008 and only Pavone is more of a CF which was my point all along, Higuain is the most promesing young forward that can play CF in Argentina.

Both players flirted with playing for other countries, boca fans went all crazy asking that Bilos be called up for the senior team so that he wouldn' t play for Croatia, now that Higuain might (not anymore, so this entire conversation is ridiculous now) you are saying we should just let him go without even trying to keep him in the Seleccion. I am trying to point out that there was as much reasoning in calling Bilos as there is in calling Higuain to the seleccion. We didn't need Bilos back then nor do we now.

2. Sergio Aguero

Sergio Aguero New Member

Oct 8, 2006
  3. Castroman

Castroman New Member

Mar 30, 2006

Good news folks Higuain rejected France's offer and told Domenech he wants to play for Argentina

4. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo

True we might have gotten confused those are the players that I'd pick today over Higuain.

But this is the thing that's just speculation that he can play CF. Argentina needs a tall, strong player who can win headers in the area plus has lethal finishing. aka. Crespo. Higuain doesn't fit that description. Maybe in a few years he might. But right now he's closer to the Palacio, Tevez, Aguero type player than he is the Crespo, Milito, Cruz type player.

I really wasn't desperate for Bilos to be called to la seleccion. I like him but I mean there are probably better options. That being said when given the chance he has performed well for the team.

I'm not saying just let Higuain go. I'm saying that he should have played for the youth teams and slowly when needed moved up to the senior team. Right now he's not needed. Even you said a few pages ago that you didnt think he was starting material. He's just being insanely overhyped because of the two goals he scored against Boca and this whole France/Argentina mess.

5. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

And you don't think Palacio is being overhyped? He's a great player, but, just like you said, we have better players in that mold right now: Tevez, Saviola, etc.

And right now, we don't need another #9.5, we need a #9 like Pavone or Cavenaghi.

6. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo

But there is a difference. Palacio has been Boca's best player for a while now. He's scored some really key goals and without him Boca probably wouldn't be competing for the league.

He can play on either side of the pitch and his finishing has improved greatly. He scoring great goals with both legs. True about the Tevez, Saviola comment but based on current form I'd pick Palacio over either of them.

I completely agree. I actually like Cavenaghi. He's probably not getting a shot simply because he plays in Russia. But that's stupid cause Dunga is calling up Carvalho and Wanger Love, Basile should do the same. Pavone should be called up also.

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

If you ask my opinion, no.

Basile's Boca wouldn't have been what it was without Palacio. And he's almost singlehandedly bailing Lavolpe out. I'd say he's the dominant player in the Argentine league.

But I agree he's not the answer to the National Team's need for a true number 9.

8. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I don't think that Palacio's contribution to Boca is overhyped, in fact he might not get the credit he deserves. In fact, anyone who can make Palermo look good again really deserves a medal.

And, pardon my conspiracy theory, but perhaps Basile started to really love Boca quite alot in his time there. He called up Clemente Rodriguez, an above average defender at best who'd had his shot and stumbled, and didn't call up his teammate in Russia Cavenaghi, an as of yet exceptional talent who plays a position that we desperately need to sort out, because Messi-Tevez is a sh*t strike partnership.

9. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo

He is.

He's also the most complete striker imo. The only thing lacking is his aerial game and he's still scored a few goals off headers. I'd also like to see how many assists he's had this Apertura. I reckon quite a few.

10. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo

True but what can you expect. Those are the players he knows the best. Calling up Clemente was a bit ridiculous though.

Cavenaghi, Pavone, and Milito should all be tried out as the #9.

11. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

If it had been Krupoviesa, I could have put it down as being comfortable with the players (Which isn't part of his job, he's supposed to call on the best we have to offer, and Krupo isn't the option), but Clemente never played under Basile and Basile likely never saw him play in Russia (remember it was a Russian company that gave him the list of players he could call on :mad:).

12. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

He's the dominant player in the dominant team, but that doesn't really mean he's the dominant player in the league.

Veron, Pavone and Belluschi are damn good competition for that title.

13. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Crazy debate going on here. Gonzalito does indeed have the potential to be the great player we'd like in the Albiceleste but let's not already proclaim him to be the future savior of the #9 jersey. He may and probably will grow into a larger frame but their are no guarantees. Yes he had a great game against BOCA but what has done throughout this season to show that we need to cap tie him asap?

BTW Cavenaghi? At one time I was all for him getting a look. Based on his weak numbers in a pretty average Russian league (7 goals in 23 games or 17 in 61 games) I'm not so sure anymore. Size alone isn't enough. If this was his river years, then no question. Maybe he just needs a move, I don't know but he's no more NT material than Palermo:eek:

14. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Oh yeah, the whole Henry thing baffles me. What about his game, style, technique.....brought this on? I've seen him plenty and heard even more thanks to a gallina viejo, but even he can't see it.

15. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

In your stats, did you bother to factor in that he's being used as a substitute?

16. BigSoccer Bot

BigSoccer Bot I am not real.

Feb 25, 2005
    [News] Higuaín: goles con sello de Selección

El delantero de River tiene chances de pasar al fútbol inglés, los franceses lo quisieron para su equipo nacional, y ahora lo pretende nada menos que el poderoso Real Madrid.

Link To Original Article

17. ilovefotball

ilovefotball Member

Feb 11, 2006
    europe

Guys, I have never seen him play netiher heard of him before his game against Boca or this France/Argentina mess. but i want to keep him for the reason in bold parts. he Might get better or worse, and we will never know it before he gets worse or better. If we call him and he plays for Argentina, then he will always be ours, no matter he gets better or worse. By keeping him doesn't automatically obliged us to play him, if he turns out to be beter then we play him, if not we have others. so don't let him go. If there was 90% chance for him to fail, i would still put him. We don't have anything to loose here if we make him availabel for us, but we might loose something if we let him go.

18. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

The bigger question isn't whether or not I factored in that he's mainly used as a sub but rather if he's so good why is he sitting on the sub's bench. Take off the river colored glasses and look objectively. Why would we want to offer up a spot to a guy sitting on the bench in a weak Russian league.

19. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

What do you guys think of Pipita Higuain in a different position? He played as playmaker his whole life, and even made his debut in River in that position.. Then, in the future they changed his position, but that wasn't toooo long ago.

Also, Domenech had called him up as a "volante". I wouldn't really take him over Maxi Rodriguez, Lucho Gonzalez, and some other players, but you never know.. He might be good.. He's really fast, and since he kicks the ball high most of the time, he might be good for centers..

Either way, I don't think he's NT material. Atleast not yet. I just want to see everyone else's point of view.

20. Illrod3

Illrod3 Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

He's good enough to start a friendly, specially now that Messi and Saviola are hurt, Tevez is out of form and Cavenaghi is sitting the bench. Here's the four strikers I would call for our next friendly if things are as they are today: Milito & Palacios starting, Pavone and Higuain in the bench. Let Saviola and Messi heal and give Tevez time to regain his form. Cruz would be my next pick if we needed a 5th.

21. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo

Fair enough.

22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I agree with most of that. Milito and Palacio, at least on paper, seem to have the characteristics to compliment each other well on attack.

Damn shame about Messi. Oh, and no love for Lisandro Lopez? Isn't he doing good in Portugal?

23. maxpepper

maxpepper Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

no se olviden del kun...

24. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

D. Milito, Palacio, Aguero and Higuain?

It would be quite funny if Higuain was picked for Argentina for the friendly against France.:D

25. Illrod3

Illrod3 Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

That would serve them right!! according to Ole Domenech is quite upset Gonzalito turn them down. :D