PIP: Western Conference Semi Final Game 2; LA Galaxy vs San Jose Earthquakes; 11/7/12; 8 P.M. PST

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by WarGalaxy, Nov 5, 2012.

1. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG] vs. [​IMG]
    Previous Game
    L.A. Galaxy 0-1 San Jose Earthquakes
    Bernárdez 90+4'
    [​IMG]
    Venue
    Buck Shaw Stadium: Santa Clara, California
    Maximum Capacity: 10,525 ~ Average Attendance: 9,659​
    Field Dimensions: 115 x 74 yards
    Surface: Grass
    [​IMG]
    Weather Forecast
    Wednesday: Clear. High of 67° F. Winds from the SSW at 6 mph.
    Wednesday Night: Partly Cloudy. Low of 46° F. Winds from the WNW at 5 mph.
    [​IMG]
    Coverage
    Audio: AM 1150, 1330 AM (SP)
    TV: ESPN
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    LET'S GO GALAXY!
    [​IMG]
    ONWARDS & UPWARDS

2. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what? We had our chances tonight. I just don't see this series ending 1-0. Yes, we put ourselves in a hole, and yes, they are the favorites going into their home.

But this team will not roll over and die against SJ. They just won't. I'm most worried about tired legs scuttling us.

Bruce needs to throw an attacking side out there.

Here's the good news: other than a stupid stupid goal at the end, our defense stood. Omar owned Lenhart who basically did a grand total of nothing, Gordon is injured, and Wondo didn't do much against Meyer either, who had his shaky moments, but came through. Franklin did just fine.

We have scored on them. 2-3, 3-4, 2-2. We have. If the boys can reach into themselves, I can see it.

Not going to get my hopes up, but it's possible and it's not over yet.

Come on boys, you can do it!

Cyclonis, Kilgore, Skevin and 4 others repped this.
  3. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, Berks, you going to the game?

TrickHog repped this.
  4. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    On the plus side we’ve got nothing to lose, we can play with almost reckless abandon really. On the negative side you can see Beckham and Donovan aren’t “back” yet and every shot, pass & dummy is half a second off and a yard short. For me the game is going to come down to those two, if they can find their form we’ve got a shot, but –excuse the dead horse – it just feels like the playoffs came a bit too soon for those guys.

TrickHog and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  5. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope we win.

Berks, TrickHog and profiled repped this.
  6. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Only problem with this is that it plays perfectly into San Joses plan....

TrickHog repped this.
  7. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that because we're down an away goal, we can concede another without it effecting the outcome too much. If we can win 2-1, we advance on away goals. Winning 2-0 is the same as winning 2-1 at this point. Once we score one goal, they'll be scared, just like Vancouver was.

EDIT: Never mind

TrickHog repped this.
  8. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One goal should not be a big deal for this team to overcome. San Jose lacks ability, they have grit and luck. Lets be honest that goal was not like I will hit it right under Gonzalez and I know it goes in. It was luck. Over the entire game we outplayed them, they got fortunate on their goal. I will say we need to find our swagger up front. Our last passes were off or the wrong runs being made. If we can fix that we can win it at smurf village.

Kilgore and TrickHog repped this.
  9. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    There are no away goal rules in the MLS playoffs.

TrickHog repped this.
  10. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    That’s been true every game we’ve played them this season; four games where the Galaxy were the better team and a yet solitary point to show.

StillKickin and TrickHog repped this.
  11. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't see this team with enough answers to solve this riddle.

My take on the game. Galaxy give up an early goal.... Galaxy press for something, get countered
    or give up penalty.

Prediction 2-0 SJ. 3-0 on aggregate.

Then there has to be serious discussions about this team moving forward. VERY SERIOUS DISCUSSIONS.

Cyclonis and TrickHog repped this.
  12. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. LA must win by two to win outright on aggregate.

TrickHog repped this.
  13. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't have said it better myself.

Kilgore repped this.
  14. esco300

esco300 Member+

May 8, 2011
    Seattle
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One things first Wargalaxy u crack me up with your gifs and second of all Galaxy can come out winners on Weds. Just have to be smarter in the Box.

WarGalaxy and TrickHog repped this.
  15. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like that the rivalry has been rekindled with San Jose.

[​IMG]

We still have a chance in this series. Stranger things have happened then turning around a 1 goal deficit on the road. San Jose might sit back from the start in this one which could be to our advantage.

AmericanKaka, Cyclonis, Berks and 3 others repped this.
  16. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is going to be a let-it-all-hang-out game. SJ definitely has the advantage, can bunker in if they want and hit on the counter, and if there's extra time they are at home and with a less-tired team. Does that mean we can't win? Hell no! If everything comes together we could put a hurting on SJ. Personally, I don't think it will happen. I would have liked our chances of going through if the score had ended 0-0 but the goal gives SJ the option to bunker in.

So what happened this year? Injuries happened. Championship hangover happened. I don't feel like the team ever hit on all cylinders. We still have guys not 100% both in health, sharpness, and in cohesiveness. I just don't think it is our year.

Nonetheless, if we go out it is going to f'ing hurt to go out to the stupid smurfs. Blah.

This also feels like a finale to me. Donovan may be done with the Galaxy, Beckham may be done, we may be looking somewhat at a rebuild. (Not huge rebuild, but definitely a minor rebuild of the team.)

So no reason to hold back. Team should be giving 100%, tired legs and all, and I expect they will. It's actually a little bit more fiar this game as now SJ has some tired legs too. They didn't look good towards the end of the game and it's a short turn-around for them too.

Cyclonis, TrickHog and StillKickin repped this.
  17. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this is what worries me.

TrickHog repped this.
  18. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what you're saying is.... we're due one.

:)

UcIceD2011, Jedimaster1, Topper and 3 others repped this.
  19. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    The question is, what else do we have in the toolkit? We can break out Wilhelmsson if he is healthy, but there isn't a ton more we can do except in formations. I suppose Villareal would be a wildcard to throw into the game as an extra attacker late in the game, but most of our bench guys with some first team playing experience this year are more defensive-minded players (e.g., Gaul and Stephens). We have guys with heavy legs but we really need to play them again in this game. When thinking about the run of play, it actually might make sense to sit Beckham because of the small field and his injury recovery and start Magee and Wilhelmsson on the wings with Juninho and Sarvas in the middle, but getting some free kick magic might be the difference in this game and Beckham has to be on the field to provide that.

20. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    Since it would help the Galaxy out, maybe we can ask the league to change the rule between now and Wednesday? :D
    I mean I always hear other fans saying that everything is fixed to help the Galaxy, so they'll probably just do it if we ask, :rolleyes: and we'd be doing the SJ fans a favor to give them something new to whine about given the tizzy they're in about not getting to prospect of not getting to play the Cup at Buck Shaw..... :p

21. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I don't really know what to say or have any constructive thoughts on what we can do above and beyond what was already attempted yesterday. All I know is I hate San Jose. I really, really hate San Jose. I don't know why, but I do. I want them to lose soooooooo badly.

Well, maybe I do have one constructive thing to say. Somehow, some way, I have a sneaky suspicion that this game will come down to Donovan. He seems out of sorts currently as alot of us have noticed. But if we can take anything from history in regards to Donovan, its that he is an emotional guy. He can spark at the slightest provocation and once he does, he's a game changer. We've all seen it. One small thing, on Wednesday or leading up to Wednesday. One percieved slight or insult, any small thing that can rile him up a little, you know, light a small fire under his backside and he can shred that defence, disgraceful field conditions and big strong physical defenders or no. I know it sounds just a little hopeful, maybe a pipe dream but it could happen.

Beh. I'm still so gutted from last night. Its almost as bad a the game that shall not be mentioned from 2003.

22. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wanna see the Galaxy win Wednesday?

This is all they need to do...

1) Have Juninho play as a traditional DMid.

2) Keep the ball on the ground. No longballs.

3) Attack through the center with 2 touch passing.

4) Keep Sarvas on the rightwing so that he can cover for Sean when he overlaps.

5) When Sean overlaps, he should immediately move the ball into the center via cutting runs instead of what he normally does which is deliever a bad cross it into the center. He creates solid chances when he does this; and every goal he has personally scored has been because he was in a great position to do so after First doing this. If he has no choice but to cross see step#2.

6) Beckham should shoot from Distance when he has a chance. San Jose allows him so much space that he really should be doing this more often. Bush can and will break with such attacks.

7) Beckham must stay central. He doesn't need to drop back. Deeplying playmaker isn't working against this team.

8) Only play Buddle if you are going to go 4-3-3 or if Keane or Landon is hurt or just to tired to run worth a crap.

9) If Magee has not scored by minute 75 sub him for Chippen.

10) If the score is 2-0 LA by minute 85. Bring in Mikey Stephens and play with 2 DMids.

Berks, Topper, TrickHog and 4 others repped this.
  24. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I actually think we can go to San Jose and win. I don't think Bruce will let us lose like this

25. generaladmissision18

Jul 29, 2011
    Highland park, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will win. We HAVE to win

TrickHog repped this.