PBP: PIP: Western Conference Semi Final Game 1; LA Galaxy vs San Jose Earthquakes; 11/4/12; 6 P.M. PST

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by profiled, Nov 2, 2012.

1. mparker

mparker Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Section 141 Row G
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Landon Donovan available for Wednesday? Rumor has it he was arrested on Sunday night. The charge is impersonating a football player that gives a #$%.

TrickHog and TequilaJoal repped this.
  2. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. The only thing I'd add is that he is pretty banned up. He looks like he's afraid to go 100%.

TrickHog repped this.
  3. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the local media treat talking about soccer like it doesn't exist. Galaxy players can literally hide from criticism. Landon Donovan is feeling what pressure?

There is no channel locally or on cable/dish/direct/etc. that is talking about him. There is no radio show within 1000 miles that has brought up his name in months. Where can angry or happy Galaxy fans express themselves in this city so Landon Donovan or his people or anyone in the organization can hear it, see it, or even know it?

Nowhere.

If Landon Donvan doesn't come onto bigsoccer.com He almost would never know what anyone thought about him or his performances. What it must be like to go home after playing a game in front of 25,000 people and watched by almost a million on TV, turn on sportscenter and no one mentions the game or your name.... It's like he didnt do anything, like he doesn't exist... like what he did was a dream.

But Michael Vick can kill dogs, torture animals, be a general bad human being. a subpar athlete, and when he throws an interception in a football game not only did 60,000 watch it in the stadium, but 60 million people watched it on tv. Sportscenter talks about it at nausium over and over and over again. he can never go home and not see what he did, he can't turn on a tv, a radio, the internet, the newspaper, the people around him know, there are reporters stalking him, there are fans looking for him, he can't show his face in public and not know how they feel about his performances.

There in lies the pressure for Landon Donovan. It lies squarely in his own head. Landon the kid has to step outside of his own thoughts and be Landon the man. Because whether he can handle the pressure or not... He will. (yodanese philosophy)

TrickHog and esco300 repped this.
  4. esco300

esco300 Member+

May 8, 2011
    Seattle
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very good post TJ , but if he wouldnt of put pressure on himself he wouldnt be the greatest American player of all time....

The Beautiful Gamer and TrickHog repped this.
  5. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm now convinced you live under a rock. If you are a fan of soccer you cannot have avoided the retirement stories that have been swinging around for months now. I have no idea what to say to this post, or the other ones before it. Jmaestro and stillkickin are right.

No pressure? Clueless.

I do think he looks burned out. I do think he looked flat. I do think he could have played better. But those of you questioning his heart and love for this team, short term memories man.

barroldinho, StillKickin and ragbone repped this.
  6. Hushx

Hushx Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As sad as it sounds, I'm kind of hoping Donovan goes to Everton and stays this time. He is an integral part of this team, but as talented and accomplished as he is, if he is burnt out and can't give a shit anymore, it wouldn't be productive to keep him around if he doesn't want to be with the Galaxy.

Let him enjoy his extended break after this season, heal up and if Everton wants to buy him in January or next summer, I say let him go - he's earned it. Plus, some real seasons spent playing in Europe might be what he needs to keep himself motivated enough for Brazil 2014; what better way to cap off playing in one of the best leagues in the world than by participating in your final world cup?

Call me crazy for wanting our captain to leave, but if losing LD results in him sticking around long enough to play from next year's qualifiers all to the way up to Copa America in 2016, its worth it. Dude has the talent and ability to extend his career another half a decade.

Berks and WarGalaxy repped this.
  7. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It pains me to see this type of characterization of LD's attitude. Been tired, injured, and burned out is not the same as not giving a shit.

Other than that... I agree.

Berks and ragbone repped this.
  8. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word.

ragbone repped this.