PIP: Western Conference Championship Game 1; LA Galaxy vs Seattle Sounders; 11/11/12; 6 P.M. PST

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by WarGalaxy, Nov 9, 2012.

1. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what are the rules? becks got yellow at buckshaw

2. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the MLS website:

Suspensions for Caution Accumulation
     Yellow Card accumulation thresholds are re-set entering MLS Cup Playoffs
    o A player who exceeds an accumulation threshold in the last Regular Season game (e.g., 5th,
    8th , etc.) IS ELIGIBLE for the Playoffs and IS ELIGIBLE for the first Regular Season Match
    of 2012
    o A player who receives a Red Card in his last Regular Season game IS SUSPENDED for the
    next match for which he is eligible including a Playoff Match or the first Regular Season
    Match of 2012
    o A player sanctioned by the Disciplinary Committee will have any corresponding suspension
    applied to the next match(es) for which he is eligible including a Playoff Match(es)
     Once the Playoffs begin and up until MLS Cup (when Yellow Card accumulation for P layoffs will be
    re-set again), a player accumulating TWO (2) Yellow Cards will be suspended for the next match for
    which he is eligible (with one exception noted below)
    o A player who earns TWO (2) Yellow Cards in any of the following matches IS SUSPENDED
    for his next match: Wild Card, Conference Semi-Final Leg #1, Conference Semi-Final Leg
    o EXCEPTION: A player who earns his second Yellow Card in the Conference Final IS
    ELIGIBLE to play in MLS Cup.
     In other words, Playoff Yellow Card accumulation re-sets entering MLS Cup (or after
    the Conference Finals).
     A player who earns TWO (2) Yellow Cards in the same match IS SUSPENDED for the next match
    for which he is eligible including MLS Cup
    o Also, in an instance where a player earns TWO (2) Yellow Cards in the same match, his first
    Yellow Card WILL NOT COUNT against his Playoff Yellow Card accumulation (as it
    normally does in the Regular Season).
     In other words, if a player earns a Yellow Card in the Wild Card Match and then two
    Yellow Cards in his Conference Semi-Final #1, that player would be suspended for
    Conference Semi-Final #2 (due to the Red Card) but he would remain on ONE (1)
    Yellow Card for his accumulation total. (If his club does not advance, the Red Card
    suspension would carry to the 2012 Regular Season.)
     A player who earns a STRAIGHT RED CARD in the same game in which he previously has earned
    his second cumulative Yellow Card MAY be suspended for his next TWO (2) Playoff Matches
    o For example, a player earns a Yellow Card in the Wild Card Match. He then earns a Yellow
    Card (his 2nd cumulatively) in Conference Semi-Final #1 AND a STRAIGHT RED CARD
    (different from earning a second Yellow Card) in the same match. The player IS
    SUSPENDED for Conference Semi-Final #2 (due to the Red Card) AND IS SUSPENDED
    for the Conference Final (due to Playoff Yellow Card accumulation).
    o However, if a player earns a Yellow Card in Conference Semi-Final #1 and then earns both
    a Yellow Card (his 2nd cumulatively) in Conference Semi-Final #2 AND a STRAIGHT RED
    CARD in the same game, then the player IS SUSPENDED for the Conference Final (due to
    the Red Card) but IS NOT SUSPENDED for MLS Cup as the Yellow Card accumulation resets
    entering MLS Cup.
     A player who earns a Red Card in any Playoff Match, whether a straight Red Card or Two Yellow
    Cards, IS SUSPENDED for his next match (if this occurs in MLS Cup, then the suspension carries
    over to the first Regular Season Match of 2012).
     A player sanctioned by the Disciplinary Committee will have any corresponding suspension applied
    to the next match(es) for which he is eligible including a Playoff Match(es) and MLS Cup.

3. UcIceD2011

UcIceD2011 Member+

Jul 10, 2011
    Nor Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As posted above me, if Gonzo doesn't get a yellow in the first game then he is free and clear as long as he doesn't get a red. The yellows are reset after the conference final 2nd leg.

4. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Member+

Aug 2, 2004
    Westwood, NJ
  5. Revived fan

Revived fan Member

May 9, 2010
    Sunny So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, and the same goes for everyone who have had a yellow during playoffs so far...they are all first teamers. So, no yellow for those on Sunday. Those who haven't had any yellow yet can afford one yellow each conference final leg without any impact what so ever.

6. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the guys on yellow danger are:

Juninho, Sarvas, Beckham, Gonzilla

Am I missing anyone?

7. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    And I believe the players on one yellow card for the Sounders are the following:
    Evans, Parke, and Alonso

That's one of the reasons the play-in game was problematic. It was an extra game to pick up cards and Juninho and Sarvas both picked up cards against Vancouver

8. UcIceD2011

UcIceD2011 Member+

Jul 10, 2011
    Nor Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's get Alonso and Parke a yellow on Sun.

9. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Pretty sure you won't get suspended for the MLS Cup final for the yellow card accumulation rules.

11. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Maybe it's the time of night but, I really enjoyed this!!

12. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Tifo for Sunday???

Hachiko repped this.
  13. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same starting lineup and same game plan from the last game. If we do that not only do we win this next game but we essentially win this series with the results of the first game.

JukeBox repped this.
  14. klpv82

klpv82 Member+

Mar 8, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DO IT! :)
    [​IMG]

Hachiko and Hushx repped this.
  15. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the Buddle starting question - we are back at the HDC where Keane + Donovan upfront terrorized plenty this year. I think it depends on who is playing at CB - I can't remember who their CBs are. If they are Bernardez types, then sounds like we go back to Buddle. If they are not, bring a fresh Sarvas on at RM and put LD + Keane up top for the home leg.

I was wrong about starting Buddle this past week and Bruce was right. But I also can't let go of several months of the best forward tandem in MLS. So, let's make this about strategy. If we are going to play long ball and crosses, then Buddle. If we are going to work through the middle, then LD + Keane.

Hard to judge based on our games this past year against them where we saw both. Also, if Buddle's knee is still injured, then save him for the away game when on turf we might need him more.

Interesting strategy to think about here.

generaladmissision18 and Hushx repped this.
  16. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buddle played well last game and Seattle's CB's aren't big enough to win every ball in the air that he could. We primarily played a ground game up the middle while only using Buddle to play the target forward with his back to goal, who holds the ball long enough to lay it off to LD, who will then pass to Keane. That game is how LA should have been playing all season with Buddle. It was this strategy and actually having a dependable backline that we beat Seattle last game. In that last Seattle game the score could have been a lot more had poor Robbie not been off target. The game before that we lost 4-0 using LD and Keane up top. However we had Franklin out right and freeking Lopez at CB. Shots from distance, guys getting beat in back and not enough midfield service going forward cost us that game. In the one before that we really didn't have a prayer. We had Shrek and Donkey up top. Lopez, Gaudette, Jordan and (at that time) a really green Gaul in the back. No Beckham no Keane and an out of form Juninho didn't help matters. We are such a different team now though that I am confident that we could use Buddle in the game or out of the game and still win as long as our backline keeps it going and our midfield stays creative. We are going to need LD on the right to help with midfield creativity. However if he is indeed still sore from that knee shot he took against Seattle then it may well be best to save Buddle for the second leg and use Willy out right and Sarvas for Beckham at minute 75 or 80.

17. edcrocker

edcrocker Member+

May 11, 1999
    I think the Galaxy should start the same line-up tomorrow night that they did on Wednesday night. The Galaxy played very well on Wednesday night. Playing on the road, they beat a good team 3-1. No one had beaten the Earthquakes at Buck Shaw this season before the Galaxy did so on Wednesday.

So, the line-up would be this:

---------------------------------Saunders---------------------------

Franklin--------------Gonzales-----------Meyer------------Dunivant

-------------------------Beckham---------Juninho-------------------

Donovan---------------------------------------------------------Magee

----------------------------Keane------------Buddle--------------------

One question is whether (1) Edson Buddle and Robbie Keane should start up front with Landon Donovan at right midfield or (2) Keane and Donovan should start up front with Christian Wilhelmsson or Marcelo Sarvas at right midfield. I would start Buddle and Keane up front, with Donovan at right midfield. Buddle made a significant contribution on Wednesday night. I counted about 10 times in which he won with his head long balls played in his direction. And, on a number of those occasions, the Galaxy were able to retain possession of the ball. He also held the ball pretty well when he was under pressure and passed the ball pretty well. In addition, Buddle played a role in each of the Galaxy’s three goals. On the first goal, he got his head on a long ball from Josh Saunders. Mike Magee eventually gained possession of the ball and passed it to Keane. In the same sequence, Buddle then had a good run that drew two defenders away from Keane, which helped give Keane space to dribble the ball to the top of the box and get a shot off. On the second goal, Buddle's run again drew defenders away from Keane. On the third goal, Buddle’s run drew Ike Opara away from the space that Magee ended up occupying. This helped Magee have the space to get the shot off.

Moreover, if Buddle starts up front, then Donovan can start at right midfield. And, at least before the game opens up, Donovan tends to play better at midfield than he does up front. When he plays in midfield, he is able to face defenders more frequently. And he is at his best when he can face defenders.

Also, I think Bruce Arena’s decision to bring Wilhelmsson on in the 59th minute for Buddle was a good decision. Buddle was tired at the time. He also had gotten kicked in the knee near the end of the first half and was favoring the knee a bit. He wasn’t moving that well when he got taken out. Wilhelmsson brought some fresh legs and energy to the Galaxy when came in. Bringing Wilhelmsson into the match in the second half and moving Donovan up to forward is something that Arena should consider doing tomorrow.

On a different note, this is the line-up that I expect the Seattle Sounders to start tomorrow:

--------------------------------Gspurning----------------------------------

Johansson-----------Parke-----------------Hurtado----------------Scott

----------------------------------Alonzo---------------------------------------

Tiffert------------------------------------------------------------------Martinez

-----------------------------------Evans-----------------------------------------

----------------------Johnson--------------------Montero----------------------

I suspect that Zach Scott will start at left back tomorrow. As Chupacabra said, it looks like Marc Burch can’t play tomorrow because of his using a slur during the second leg against RSL. Moreover, the Costa Rican Leo Gonzales might ordinarily replace Burch at left back, but Gonzales has an injured right hamstring and didn’t make the bench for Seattle on Thursday night against RSL. Also, Scott came in at left back at the end of the second leg against RSL. And I believe that Scott has played left back a number of times for Seattle this season, for instance, he started at left back for them against the Honduran club Marathon in the CONCACAF Champions League.

Here is the full MLS Injury Report for the LA/Seattle game that was last updated today:

LA GALAXY -- OUT: DF A.J. DeLaGarza (L knee sprain); DF Leonardo (R knee inflammation); MF Kyle Nakazawa (back spasms); QUESTIONABLE: DF David Junior Lopes (facial fracture); MF Christian Wilhelmsson (R quad tightness)

SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC -- OUT: FW Babayele Sodade (R knee ACL surgery); DF Andrew Duran (L knee ACL surgery); QUESTIONABLE: MF Mauro Rosales (R hamstring strain); DF Leo Gonzalez (R hamstring strain); DF Patrick Ianni (R calf strain)

Here is a link to the report:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/mls-injury-report

I think it is more likely than not that, against LA tomorrow, Brad Evans will start at attacking center mid, Osvaldo Alonzo at defensive midfield, Christian Tiffert at right midfield, and Mario Martinez at left midfield. That was the midfield that Seattle started against RSL in the second leg of the Seattle/RSL series. Evans played higher up the pinch than Alonzo did. They were not playing parallel to each other. Evans was the attacking center mid; Alonzo was the defensive midfielder. Also, I tend to doubt that Mauro Rosales, Seattle’s most dangerous midfielder, will start tomorrow's match. He is still listed as questionable for the match with a hamstring strain. He didn’t make the bench for Seattle in their second leg against RSL.

Evans is a very smart player. So, is Alonzo. And Alonzo is very good at maintaining possession under pressure. He is also a good passer. Martinez, a Honduran, is the one of Seattle’s possible starters in midfield that I know the least about. But Martinez (23 years old), in his only start of the season for Seattle so far, played well against RSL in the second leg and scored an amazing goal. He is left-footed, and he scored the winning goal with his left foot. He also had a left-footed direct kick from 30 yards out against RSL that hit the cross bar. After the game, Sigi Schmidt said that one of the reasons he started Martinez against RSL is that Martinez could take some in-swinging corners.

Martinez has 17 caps for the Honduran national team. He also started all four of Honduras’ four matches in the 2012 Olympics, including Honduras’ incredible 1-0 win against Spain and its 3-2 loss against Brazil in the quarterfinals. He scored against Brazil. In addition, in Honduras’ World Cup qualifier against Canada on October 16, Martinez played 90 minutes and scored two goals as Honduras dismantled Canada 8-1. Any player with that kind of resume is likely to be a good player in MLS. So, Martinez is someone that the Galaxy should be aware of, especially his left foot.

If Rosales is healthy for tomorrow’s match, then he likely will start at right midfield. If he does, then Magee and Todd Dunivant are going to have to be aware of him. Rosales is a very good player, one of the best midfielders in all MLS. He also has a very good understanding with Eddie Johnson. Rosales is good at hitting crosses to Johnson that Johnson can get his head on. Johnson is very good at scoring with his head. In tomorrow's game, Omar Gonzales and Tommy Meyer are going to have to keep in mind how good Johnson can be at scoring with his head.

18. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good overview, thanks for compiling.

I think that irregardless of who will start tomorrow night, the key is mentality. Any one of the forwards can cause Seattle problems in different ways and Buddle really did have a huge part to play in the first half decimation of the smurfs. But more important is that the Galaxy press the Sounders and play in a positive forward fashion.

With the skill level on this roster, any ball to feet in and around the box is a high percentage ball so pass and move should be the key (with the movement being forward rather than lateral). Just hope we avoid bunker ball with a reliance on a Beckham long pass (as effective as they can be, it's a far less likely route to goal against an organized defense than if the ball is just played on the deck).

Either way, should be a fun pair of games. Looking forward to it!

Anyone else heading up to Seattle for the return leg?

edcrocker repped this.
  19. klpv82

klpv82 Member+

Mar 8, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My three huge factors of this game that I can think of at the moment (since I'm procrastinating with HW and just want to do something Galaxy-related):

1. careful with yellow cards. we have four players that will be suspended if they get a yellow in this match. Omar, Beckham, Sarvas, and Juni. All 4 are crucial for us. I guess Wilhelmsson will be a decent replacement, but I'm still not sold on him after his missed chances against SJ. Seattle has Brad Evans, Oslvaldo Alonso, and Jeff Parke on yellow warnings. I think it'd be huge if Alonso wasn't available for the second leg...(instigation anyone?)

2. injuries are also a big deal. Rosales is currently questionable. if he's unable to play, that'd be huge for us. Dunivant will have a much easier time on the left. Not many injury concerns for us though, so that's a plus!

3. gotta get a win at the HDC. Seattle is on two days' rest. We are on three, but are probably a little tired from the amount of games played. If we lose at home, I just don't see us playing well enough in Seattle to advance (of course, anything's possible). I just feel like the team will be too gassed and tired to make another comeback. (WAIT! I just looked at the schedule and we have a week off between the two legs...but still, it'd be hard to mount a comeback on that field). So I think a win would do wonders for us. A draw is okay, but there's no reason why we can't go out there and get a lead for the second leg

JukeBox repped this.
  20. kukies19

kukies19 New Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    hey guys sorry for going off subject but I really want to get a giant flag for my truck to drive up to the game tomorrow. anyone have any idea where I can find a giant Galaxy flag in LA?

21. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
  22. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is gonna be huge. We we lost 0-4 against Seattle, Rosales played a big role in their attacks and early goals against us. Dunivant wasn't playing in that game and Gaul was eaten alive on the left because Gaul didn't step up and close down on Rosales for fear that someone would of gotten behind him, and Seattle kept on punishing the left side after they saw Real Madrid have success doing that against us first. Hopefully Dunivant stops that tactic regardless if Rosales is playing or not.

Hachiko, The Beautiful Gamer and JukeBox repped this.
  23. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Burch was suspended 3 games. So we won't see him the rest of the postseason. If Leo Gonzalez isn't ready to go, Seattle has a problem on that side and either Donovan or Wilhelmsson should run rampant....

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  24. drew coho ohio

Apr 15, 2008
    Columbus OH USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Get those hotdogs wrapped in bacon and stuff them down Seattles throat today G Men! Today will be a very bad day for the State of Washington... I think it will be a route the likes we have not seen in a very long time... 7-0 is my guess and I'm being generous to Seattle .. they need to be taught a lesson today! BANK IT!

TIME TO MAKE A STATEMENT!

GO GALAXY GO!!!!!!!

25. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    any free parking and shuttles today? i don't see yet in gameday info