PBP: PIP: MLS Cup Playoffs Knockout Round; LA Galaxy vs. Vancouver Whitecaps; 11/1/12; 7:30 P.M. PDT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by profiled, Oct 29, 2012.

1. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try http://www.thefirstrow.eu/sport/football.html. They usually have at least 1 or 2 decent streams. The key is to maximize the display. In my experience, that will defeat the ads.

mbar repped this.
  2. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know the actual kick off time of the match? Is it more like 7:50 then 7:30? Would help to know as I'm driving from a bit of distance.

3. LA_YANK_10

LA_YANK_10 Member+

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    doesn't seem like he has the passion after last nights interview

4. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think he has one last run in him, then he'll retire after lifting his 5th MLS cup.

5. LA_YANK_10

LA_YANK_10 Member+

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you're right, but man that interview last night was jaw dropping... aside from his words, you could just see his heart isn't in it. I first thought this when he let Keane take a PK.
    It's sad, but he's earned the right to decide what he wants, ONCE THE SEASON IS OVER. I kinda wish he had saved the emo show for after the season. Its rather uncomfortable to know our captain doesn't have is head on straight going into the playoffs...

6. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It's been pretty clear he hasn't had his head on straight the entire year... would be very interesting to see how much of the early season struggles related to that fact, and what changed (pushing LD to the side and someone else taking over leadership rolls)?

Also how terrible of a PR move is it for LD to do an interview like that at such a critical time in the season... yikes.

7. forie

forie Member+

Sep 14, 2007
    Costa Mesa
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm starting to wonder if this is LD's classy way of telling MLS that they better let him go to England next year or else. Maybe behind the scenes MLS is not cooperating with Everton and they are demanding so much money for LD that Everton (and nobody else) will bite. In a way, MLS could very well be ensuring that it is impossible for Landon to go anywhere and Landon may feel stuck. If he throws out the idea (hopefully just bluffing) that he might retire (not just from MLS, but also from the Nats) then there could be more pressure on MLS to cooperate with interested teams from Europe. Unfortunately, it may be the only leverage LD.

Not stating facts...just speculating and trying to wrap my head around what really may be going on (I'm just not buying into the idea that he wants to retire from soccer at all).

juniorLA repped this.
  8. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 1, MLS CUP PLAYOFFS VS VANCOUVER WHITECAPS:
    FREE PARKING & SHUTTLES WILL BE OFFERED FROM FROM 4:30PM-APPROX. 11PM FROM THE SOUTH BAY PAVILION MALL PARKING LOT
    Parking at this location is FREE. Parking at The Home Depot Center is the same as MLS regular matches.
    Shuttles wil be running continuous loops between the South Bay Pavilion and The Home Depot Center.

ragbone, Kilgore and profiled repped this.
  9. LA_YANK_10

LA_YANK_10 Member+

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going into a title defense, our captain is lifeless and questioning his own heart. That's what i took from it. Incredibly awkward timing and overall mind numbing. The two interviews he has done before the Vancouver game have been about his lack of heart, and how Vancouver is capable of pulling of an upset. Not captain-esque.

10. UcIceD2011

UcIceD2011 Member+

Jul 10, 2011
    Nor Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...And then he comes out and scores a goal and has a couple assists. While I agree with everyone that the timing is odd, let's just wait a tad before we are talking about this being the end. That is why he is such a good interview for the press, he says how he feels and doesn't hold back on any details. I love the part where he said it hurt that people thought he was maybe faking it. I think he might have a little motivation for an F' U postseason, if any of you guys have read Simmons you know what I am talking about.

Kilgore and Berks repped this.
  11. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berks, juniorLA, Ghosting and 1 other person repped this.
  12. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Let's hope he pulls a James Harden.

13. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW: for any of you saying that Donovan hurt the team with the interview, etc.----trust me, the team already knows where his head is at. They see him every day, and he's crappy at hiding that kind of stuff.

Random note: I am fine with Donovan having one last post-season blowout (and I do believe he will play as hard as he is able to with his injury recovery) and then saying he needs time off. He's earned the right to do what he wants, and if what he wants is to take the winter and spring off and go play for Everton in the summer I am OK with that. I would love for him to go out with a Cup victory, but if not, well, he's still earned the right. I think 6 months off is a MUST for him though, no matter what happens.

Final random note: Man, Vancouver fans are realistic, pretty nice, and I cannot work up even a small amount of hate for them right now. If we win, then I think it stays that way. If they win, I am sure some people will gloat and I'll get some hate up, but honestly, that fan base is just not very hateable. Least hateable fanbase in the MLS?

juniorLA and kaburu repped this.
  14. LA_YANK_10

LA_YANK_10 Member+

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Impact it has on the team will only be determined by his play tonight and going forward in the playoffs. But you cant tell me its not a head scratcher to witness your captain sitting down and questioning his heart/motivation/fatigue/feelings before a cup run. Whether a fan or teammate. Hopefully its rubbish, but makes me wonder. There is no reason for that interview to take place right now... it's inexcusable IMO.

15. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Isn't it one thing to do it in the locker room and a whole other to broadcast it to the world?

Look i've been a huge LD backer/apologist for a long time, and the amount we owe him for his 7 years here in LA is tremendous (plus even longer as a US fan), still doesn't mean he couldn't have been a little smarter with the timing of this stuff.

Unless of course he's playing rope-a-dope and about to unleash some unholy vengeance upon the rest of MLS.

LA_YANK_10 and TrickHog repped this.
  16. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After days of anguished analysis and strategizing, the TrickHog Brain Trust (TBT) has determined that if they were in charge, the team they would start tonight is:

--------Donovan------Keane
    Magee------------------------Wilhelmsson
    ----------Juninho------Becks
    Dunivant---Meyer---Gonzilla---Franklin
    -----------------Saunders

With Buddle, Sarvas, Stephens, Villareal as my main sub options...

StillKickin and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  17. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I'm so hoping....

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  18. Statman

Statman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thinking about picking up a pair of tickets for tonight's match.

Since it is a Thursday game and school is in session, are there special parking instructions for the HDC?

19. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt LD would look good with a beard :thumbsup:

TrickHog and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  20. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is that going to hurt the team? He feels the way he feels. Trust me, THEY KNOW. We could see it just watching the games. They don't know it training every day? The only thing it is, is a glimpse into what's actually up. If it would make you feel better, as a fan, not to know the problems as they are happening but hear them afterwards as an explanation.....well, OK, I get that point. But how does this not translate into players and coaches saying "C'mon, you got one more good run in you. We got your back, let's do this." And if they know it is probably his last run, doesn't htat add motivation? I don't think the motivation for him for the playoffs will be an issue. Donovan always gets up for the playoffs. His record speaks for itself. Having the finish line in sight always excites him. It's his health that is going to be the limiting factor. If he's not 100% I hope people don't blame limited effectiveness on his motivation because that would be kinda sad.

21. LA_YANK_10

LA_YANK_10 Member+

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Magee Wilhemmson is a disaster defensively. Vancouver is pretty pacey out wide.
    I think in respecting their speed we will see LD out wide and Buddle up top to start.

22. LA_YANK_10

LA_YANK_10 Member+

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Motivation is what pushes you. It seems as though he has ALREADY convinced himself that he's over it. As mentioned above, its the timing and nature of it that is most surprising, not the actual reveal. We all knew something was off yes? But why announce it? Nothing to gain by doing so, and again I just don't think its proper for a captain to display that sort of negativity at this time... I love Donovan to death, I will always respect him, but this one, i just don't understand.

23. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also posted this in the ticket thread, but just to make sure anyone interested sees this:

"Thinking of going to the playoff game tonight and don't have a ticket?

Today's your lucky day. I've got 1 ticket in the corner section. Free to the first regular poster I recognize from here who PMs me.

Good news - free ticket to the Galaxy playoff game.

Bad news - you have to sit next to me and my friends....."

EDIT:

Ticket claimed.

Let's Go Galaxy!!

24. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but I think they are going to sit back and look to counter. If we stay patient and don't get stretched, we can control possession with Magee and Wilhemsson.

Also - I want to save Donovan's legs (and allow him more time to get game fit) to play wide versus the Smurfs, so he can help neutralize Chavez, who I think is much more dangerous...

So knowing that we only advance deep into this thing if we rotate players a bit, my starting lineup is what I'd go with for this game -- saving a wide LD and a rested Sarvas for the next round...

Plus, with the exception of Wilhemsson, I'm starting the exact same top 6 that got it done last year...

25. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Someone needs to photoshop a James Harden beard on LD, would be amazing.