Picking a Bundesliga club

Discussion in 'Germany: Clubs' started by KickersFTW, Sep 3, 2012.

1. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chemie is the successor to Sachsen Leipzog. SGLL is Sportgemeinschaft Leipzig-Leutzsch, one of the other clubs formed in the aftermath of Sachsen Leipzig's insolvency.

Chemie were twice East German champs.

2. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Yeah, if the supplier bothers you, you might have to changes clubs on a season-by-season basis :D. Eintracht went through 5 during my time, I think.

Chemie Leipzig aren't really a successor strictly speaking, they split from the club when Sachsen Leipzig still existed. Both cubs claim to be the one and only spiritual successor, though and hate each other. It's kind of a cluster********.

3. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really is. I got to see a lot of it in person. I studied at Uni Leipzig right after the split. The Diablos were still going to some FC Sachsen games, but most of their time was devoted to Chemie.

And now I think SGLL are changing their name to SG Sachsen Leipzig. So yeah, there's that.

4. Footy Magoo

Footy Magoo Audaces fortuna iuvat

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville
    Don't buy the kit. You can design your own shirt with the Stuttgart emblem and get it printed at any number of places either locally on on the internet.

Sachsen repped this.
  5. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good suggestions! :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sachsen repped this.
  7. Gaboo

Gaboo Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Singapore
    Club:
    Fortuna Düsseldorf 1895
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Looks decent if you ask me! C'mon, that should solve your dilemma! :thumbsup:

Sachsen repped this.
  8. Schoppe23

Schoppe23 Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Berlin
    Club:
    Eintracht Frankfurt
    I think people make too much of this. I have an equal number of friends that support either SGE or Kickers Offenbach OR they support Real, Man U, Bayern. Maybe this is a generational thing as we are all only 21 or so. Then again I have a few friends who ALWAYS watch fussball and they say supporting one club is "too german" for them so they just enjoy a good game.

9. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sounds like you're friends with some supremely hipster folks...

Schoppe23 repped this.
  10. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    D'uh. He lives in Berlin.

Schoppe23 repped this.
  11. Schoppe23

Schoppe23 Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Berlin
    Club:
    Eintracht Frankfurt
    Hahahah! No, no. I think is pretty common in Germany. A few of our dad's always want tickets for whoever is the "hot" team this year zB. Dortmund, Freiburg, Mainz, etc. My uncle has never lived in bavaria, doesn't even have a german passport but he still supports Bayern.
    Still people are too worried about "choosing a team" the team usually chooses you. I think you have to make the trip and actually fall in love. If you are so concerned about having your own team it is only because you are vain but if it just happens then you will know it.

And no my friends aren't hipsters at all(i only recently move to Berlin) otherwise I am from a town filled with polish people just outside FFM. Maybe this is again a problem with the globalization of football. People from all over want to love a club in the same way the residents do. I'm not sure it can happen like this but then again I am no psychologist.

12. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hey now. Careful there, a lot of us berliner aren't Hertha fans.

Schoppe23 repped this.
  13. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Nah but unless you were born there you are all obviously hipsters.

Schoppe23 repped this.
  14. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Just for the record, I am kidding and overexxagerating. I became a Dortmund fan in 94, and a 96 fan when we go promoted to BL2 in 97 (my love for BVB has since faded a lot). In the end I always find it weird if a club choses you that has no connection to you whatsoever.

15. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Also harsh, although I am a native so I won't argue too much :-D

16. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  17. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recently was on a Lufthansa flight and one of the entertainment features was a "50 Years of the Bundesliga" show. Unfortunately they only had 2 episodes, the 60s and 70s, and both were so fantastic that I watched them twice each on both flights. I would have liked to see the other decades.

Uwe Seeler scoring a goal on a bike while sitting flat on his behind, Peter Radinkovich dribbing the ball out to the midfield stripe (in a snowstorm, no less), losing the ball, winning it back, losing it again, and before he could try to win it back, his captain grabs him by the shirt to tell him to get his ass back in the goal, and ends up throwing him down in the snow! In the 70s, it was Gunther Netzer, who was my favorite player as a kid ('gladbach were often feautred on the BL highlight program that was the only soccer on TV at all in the US at the time), plus guys like Klaus Fischer, Rainer Bonhoff, Sepp Maier and a few others.

Does anyone know if these are out there anywhere? I searched You-Tube, Google, etc with no luck. Definitely worth a watch if you get to see these.

18. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You surely can buy these in German and I guess it's just a matter of time before they offer an English (subtitled) version. DW and DFL also offer interesting reportages on 50 years Bundesliga -- but in German as well.

ToMhIlL repped this.