Pick your favorite insane thing said by the announcers so far

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dan Loney, Jun 11, 2006.

1. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    They could at least bring up how Ghana crashed out of the African Cup in horrific embarassment. :rolleyes:

2. SoccerSmith

SoccerSmith Get a clue, Lotharis1!!

May 14, 2006
    Far from Lotharis1
    DOB (Dave O'Brien) ... not Dellacamera ;)

3. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    My favorite so far is the "Michael Beckett" comment.

4. SC71

SC71 Member

May 30, 2004
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "If you are playing this game and you have two feet you have to remember to use them"

Who can name the guy who said this :
    -)

Was it not Tommy Smyth?

5. Bandeirante

Bandeirante Member

Dec 7, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about in Mexico-Iran, where the graphic shows Jared Borgettin playing for Iran and Ali Daei for Mexico? Nice work...

Then in the same match, the camera shows three or four times Borgetti signalling to be substituted, yet DOB and Celo say nothing, only silence as they can't figure out what is going on. Even as he is standing on the sideline holding his hammy... silence. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who knew immediately that something was wrong with Borgetti. Finally, after over a minute, DOB stutters and stammers that Mexico will evidently be using their last substitution.

I know that they are at the game, but I know they have monitors they watch as well!

6. USMNT 10

USMNT 10 New Member

Apr 6, 2006
    SFCA
    Loving this thread! Great place to vent. I've been watching Univision but now I can't resist going to ABC/ESPN for a good a chuckle or two during the slow stretches.

Referring to the bit about about Beckham, what I remember him saying is that Beckham's bending free kicks "are so good that they made a movie about them". (Obviously never say the movie)

Did anyone catch that "Owen is a jewel in the English crown"? Came off real corny and as inane filler.

What about telling us about a dozen times that Mexico scored the most goals in Qualifying....ARRgh! Didn't they score 10+ goals in CONCACAF group stage against ST. Kitts and Barbados? (While we were beating CR, Panama and Guatamala to quailify.

7. USMNT 10

USMNT 10 New Member

Apr 6, 2006
    SFCA
    DOB doesn't know what a 4-4-2 is, there's no way he's going to know any pertinent background. He is clueless, so to fill time he makes all the rediculous statements we are shredding him for.

8. FMF_LFP

FMF_LFP Red Card

Aug 19, 2005
    Piss Peru
    Did any one feel they were hearing and presenting an NHL STANLEY CUP FINALS.

lol quite hilarious at times when given play calls

9. salukijim

salukijim New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    Quite annoying today during the Portugal game that they kept referring to Scolari as "Big Phil." Once or twice would be OK, but it seemed as if everytime he was mentioned/shown on screen, that was the name used.

And what a joke that some of these games have the commentators in a studio in the USA- what, does ABC/ESPN not have enough money to put folks up for a month in Germany? Let alone have some information about the game....

10. stokely

stokely New Member

Feb 19, 2005
    u s of a
    This isnt what an espn announcer said, it was actually what an espn journalist wrote. I could see you messing up when your commentating this, but how can you be a professional writer, writing about soccer and doing this. (Pope talking about Arena.)

"He makes you believe," forward Eddie Pope said. "He just has this confidence that everyone gravitates towards. It helps pull you together."

I wonder who is going to play center back with gooch now??

11. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    It was, you win.

12. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    The reason their goal count is so huge is the 10-0 game against Dominica. In a home and home series by the way. (Dominca played their home game in San Antonio)

13. mayorofarlington

mayorofarlington New Member

May 13, 2005
    Arlington/Montreal
    obviously it wasn't enough times for you - it was oswaldo sanchez, not suarez...

14. J_J_Okocha

J_J_Okocha New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    I watched all the games on the Spanish channel today, I could not take the english commentators anymore.

15. Professor B

Professor B Member

Oct 13, 2000
    Grundy, VA
    My bad. Apparently I can't read. My apologies to Dellacamera.

16. salukijim

salukijim New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    You may have the way to go- I may try the video with sound down tomorrow, and tune in talksport from the UK for commentary- they advertise they are doing the games- some have been blacked out, others not....

17. Jay44

Jay44 Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Starkville, MS
    Yeah my brother pointed this out. "Kezman plays for PSV. DeMarcus Beasley is on that team".

And...

18. Q Exp

Q Exp Member

Jul 29, 2004
    I did the same thing sometime around the 5th minute of England-Paraguay and have pretty much not stopped watching Univision since, though if Tommy Smyth is on I'll listen to him for a few minutes, he's funny.

During the Germany-Costa Rica match, Dave O'Brien (if that's his name) referred to Costa Rica before the 2002 WC as being a "soft touch". I yelled in utter astonishment. The Ticos won CONCACAF group stage for the 2002 WC, beating Mexico in Azteca, and pretty much dominating the US at Saprissa that time. In 1990, Costa Rica beat two European teams in Italy: Scotland 1-0 and Sweden 2-1. They made it to the second round! A soft touch! Please!

I think O'Brien and 'Celo in time can become good soccer announcers, but both should look up some of the facts (or have someone do it for them) before they talk about a nations' soccer history and 'Celo just needs to slow down a little.

19. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Does anyone still have a copy of the old 2002 Jack and Ty drinking game... you know... if Jack says "climbs the ladder" 1 shot. if cobi or DMB uses "his speed move" if someone points out our last place finish in 98 chug. if Hejduk skies a cross into the stands chug. if hejduk is watching from the bench finish your drink. if he's watching from his sofa at home... etc. etc. whoever made that really hated on hey-dude. and sanneh. and cobi jones too i think.

i would happily exchange one "mine eyes have seen the glory" for any of the absurd things heard thus far.

but so far mr. smyth is in the lead i'd say.

20. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    also... the 360 degrees was a good one.

also.. apparently ivory coast has some sort of civil war going on. who knew?

21. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Its A Funkly Blue Yellow Card!!!!!!!

22. ctt8410

ctt8410 New Member

May 26, 2001
    Tommy Smyth: "Paraguay has 5 shots. Which is the same number as the United States has World Cup appearances." .......... "Wait, how many World Cup appearances does the United States have again?"

23. BigLarr

BigLarr Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was it Balboa who compared the linesman not giving ARG a goal on the goal line grab by the CIV keeper to the bottom of the ninth in baseball, bases loaded, 3 and 2 count, and the next pitch is on the edge of the strike zone?

God that was painful.

24. FMF_LFP

FMF_LFP Red Card

Aug 19, 2005
    Piss Peru
    Balboa by far has to be the worst and utterly awful commentator.

25. Highbury

Highbury Member

May 13, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to ESPN Sportscenter T&T has adopted the US flag also.