Phoenix FC stadium thread

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising FC' started by Macsen, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surely it's possible and logical. RSL is obviously one of the closest MLS teams to Phoenix. They have an Arizona academy in Casa Grande, train here in the spring and can try to foment affinity for their club among the soccer fans of this state and the Valley (something an LA team would be harder-pressed to do given the long-term rivalry/inferiority complex dynamic between here and LA).

Phoenix's people had a puppy love infatuation with Seattle, though (the ex-managing partner was from Seattle, apparently) and they somehow thought they could emulate the Sounders despite having maybe 2% of their resources going in.

RSL did loan PFC a goalie when they needed one (Seattle took Weber on loan), and I would imagine RSL has at least a general idea of the potential benefits of partnering with them. I don't believe (other than showing themselves to be completely, comically, tragically inept at running a professional club) PFC did anything that would have poisoned the well with regard to an RSL affiliation.

That said, RSL did float the idea of potentially establishing their own team, potentially in suburban Salt Lake or Provo or something. Depending on what Lagerway (who has been floated as a replacement for Kevin Payne in Toronto) and their ownership wants to do, it could go either way.

If the object is player development at the end of the day, you would have to have confidence in an affliliate's ability to provide an environment conducive to players learning and developing, whatever you decide, right?

2. dtwphx

dtwphx New Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Does anyone know if the Sun Devil Stadium renovation will allow it to better accommodate soccer,
    MLS, Primera Division, Friendlies?

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a good question.

(Having seen the Fire/Galaxy game there several years ago, I thought it was actually not a bad venue, despite there not being a ton of people there - and it's a huge yard, obviously. Field was nice. Sight lines were fine.)

I guess the only real question would be the field dimensions, right? Because the reno is obviously going to make the seats better and modernize the whole deal, so it'll be a more reasonable stadium to attract such games in reasonable weather.

4. dtwphx

dtwphx New Member

Jul 23, 2006
    I'd hope that if they're spending $250million to renovate Sun Devil Stadium, they would have in their requirements that it could accommodate a field 70yd x 115yd with good sight lines. I'd want to host as many large events in the stadium as possible if I were trying to increase revenue generated by the Stadium District. The logical additional events that they'd be hosting would be soccer matches.

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $210 million, though I'm sure the final price tag will be north of that, as it almost always is.

Dr. Crow and ASU’s leadership team have committed to investing $210 million to improve Sun Devil Stadium – the largest university loan since the school’s founding in 1885. The renovation will be paid for through private donations, Pac-12 Conference revenue, Athletics District revenue, stadium naming rights and incremental revenue from stadium operations.

It's driven by ASU football, obviously, even though that's only a handful of games in a season. (I wonder if it could get the Fiesta Bowl back, no idea what the thinking is on that at all.) I would imagine "incremental revenue from stadium operations" would include other games and events there.

It's supposed to have a final capacity of 60,000, just slightly fewer seats than in UofP.