Phoenix FC stadium thread

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising FC' started by Macsen, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On another note are you going to make it out Friday?

2. Roosevelt1911

Roosevelt1911 Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Central Phoenix
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be there...5ish right...I didnt know Filmbar doubled as a sports bar

3. redfury1881

redfury1881 Member

Jul 9, 2012
    Inside your head.
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Kenn's right. He just takes his own approach in telling you that.
    We're still convinced that Peoria is the stadium that PFC has in hand and will end up playing at. But the owners do want to be more central. Let's (quickly) review some of the options:

-- Phoenix Municipal: A good choice. Light rail accessible. Parking. But there isn't much around it as far as bars and restaurants that are walkable to and from, something the PFC owners like about Peoria. Also, I believe Kenn wrote something about ASU being interested in buying the stadium (or was it Mesa?) and that excludes the alcohol sales. And that's a big no-no for any pro team.

-- ASU Soccer Stadium: As Kenn said just above this post ... no way. Too small. No parking. No alcohol sales. Too expensive.

-- Phoenix College: Good, central location. No light rail. But again, the big no-no, no alcohol sales.

-- Tempe Diablo: Central-enough location. No light rail. No bars/restaurants close enough to walk to and from.

-- Mesa: Too far east. Kind of light rail accessible. We forget if this also falls into the ASU-wants-it thing.

-- Maryvale: Central-enough location. May be good location per the demographics. But it's in the ghetto, which some people don't mind (we surely don't) and some people do. Bars/restaurants within walking distance ... not really.

-- Absolute no-nos (too many negatives to the following list to list): high schools, any other colleges, Reach 11, any other public soccer parks, University of Phoenix Stadium, Sun Devil Stadium, Chase Field.

Add to the above locations as you wish as well as add any other locations you think are viable.

4. redfury1881

redfury1881 Member

Jul 9, 2012
    Inside your head.
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't really. But it did hold a viewing party in its theater for the Finals of the Women's WC and Euro 2012.
    FilmBar's owner is a big soccer fan. He's a member of LFR1881 as well. He would have held Friday's WCQ USvJamaica viewing in the theater if he had more of a head's up. (We usually go to 16th St. Sports Bar, as you probably know. But PFC didn't get the word out about their Open House until last week.) So we're watching the game at the bar area. It'll be tight. But that might be even better.

5. AdrianV

AdrianV New Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Chandler, Arizona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody have any insight as to where Phoenix FC's current community support is strongest at, or where they choose to be aggressive with over the near future? I'd say make sure the stadium is close or at that community. It would be unfortunate to make Peoria your home base when all of your community cultivation is in central/eastvalley, or vice versa.

6. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as LFR goes it's really all over the valley, East Mesa, Avondale, North Phoenix, South Phoenix and everywhere in between.

7. Roosevelt1911

Roosevelt1911 Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Central Phoenix
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just ask the Coyotes. A West Valley commute to a night match during the week is going to kill enthusiasm quickly. Add in that it is even farther away than Jobing.com...wow...I have a hard time comprehending that. That is why I moved to the Central City nearly 20 years ago.

8. Roosevelt1911

Roosevelt1911 Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Central Phoenix
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendance averages like the ones below are why I believe 3000 seat capacity is realistic, at least in the short run...granted that it is a snap shot of the current season but I believe it is indicative of what numbers can be expected...I highlighted TB Rowdies for kenn...
    As of Monday, May 14 here are the ranking of teams in the two professional leagues under MLS, the North American Soccer League (NASL) and the United Soccer Leagues Professional Division (USL-Pro), in terms of average home attendance:
    1. San Antonio Scorpions: 10934 [NASL]
    2. Rochester Rhinos: 7953 [USL-Pro]
    3. Orlando City: 7681 [USL-Pro]
    4. Atlanta Silverbacks: 4301 [NASL]
    5. Minnesota Stars: 4185 [NASL]
    6. Wilmington Hammerheads: 4070 [USL-Pro]
    7. Charleston Battery: 3745 [USL-Pro]
    8. Fort Lauderdale Strikers: 3483 [NASL]
    9. Richmond Kickers: 3224 [USL-Pro]
    10. Carolina Railhawks: 3147 [NASL]
    11. Tampa Bay Rowdies: 3030 [NASL]
    12. Harrisburg City Islanders: 1223 [USL-Pro]
    13. Los Angeles Blues: 1217 [USL-Pro]
    14. FC Edmonton: 1197 [NASL]
    15. Antigua Barracuda FC: 1067 [USL-Pro]
    16. Puerto Rico Islanders: 1019 [NASL]
    17. Dayton Dutch Lions: 882 [USL-Pro]
    18. Pittsburgh Riverhounds: 784 [USL-Pro]
    19. Charlotte Eagles: 702 [USL-Pro]

9. Golot

Golot Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Chandler, AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tempe Diablo Stadium seems to be the best option - central location, yea on alcohol, with good parking and seat capacity. I really hope it's not going to be Peoria. It'll be an hour drive for me (and many others) each way if they end up playing at PSC.

10. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Are you sure ? The Rhinos drawing better crowds than Orlando ?

11. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re-read it. He was using WAY outdated numbers. And those numbers only had the Rhinos home opener, which was below Orlando's TYVM.

Here are the real final numbers for D3. These are the current numbers for D2, through the previous weekend. VioletCrown is holding off on an update for this weekend because he doesn't have Carolina's number. (And fair warning...many in the thread believe Atlanta's numbers are heavily inflated.)

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is Tempe Diablo "central?"

13. AdrianV

AdrianV New Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Chandler, Arizona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just miles away from Dtown Phx and the airport. A heck of a lot more 'central' than Peoria.

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I didn't realize it was either Peoria or nothing. Peoria loses in most "central" discussions, but that doesn't make something on the southeast corner of the Valley "central."

Muni would be more central AND would have the benefit of light rail and parking.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because there IS no good solution. That's what I've been trying to tell you. You can read all my posts, and they'll be consistent, not because I don't want this to succeed, but because I can't see a viable stadium solution that isn't fraught with problems.

That was half in jest. It's very likely I'll go to the same number of games regardless of where they play. But, if you notice, I'm not advocating for Peoria, either. Find me a great solution, I'll be all in favor of it. But there simply isn't one here. There may not be anything that rises above "temporary, stopgap, this isn't great but it is what it is" solution.

Here's what I get: you're a fanboy and shouldn't have actual discussions about the business implications of this whole thing. Just get your scarf and your beer and enjoy that. I've been through this before, know more about this than you, and I'm neither going to apologize for that nor pay much attention to you rant about how someone pokes holes in your fanboy delusions.

16. Roosevelt1911

Roosevelt1911 Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Central Phoenix
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it would be if you live in Maricopa or Casa Grande...its all relative right...

17. Roosevelt1911

Roosevelt1911 Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Central Phoenix
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes I was, forgive me. I certainly should have known that there is an esoteric USL attendance thread...and I should have deferred to those numbers for exactness. But even with your official numbers, my point in deference to Phoenix FC attendance expectations is still on point.

Lash me if Kenn feels I fall into his dumbest people on earth category...

18. Golot

Golot Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Chandler, AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at a map of the Phoenix metro area

19. Golot

Golot Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Chandler, AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It [Diablo] is not on the "southeast corner of the Valley". Queen Creek is more like the southeast corner of the valley I'd say. Also, muni and diablo are not far from each other.

20. Roosevelt1911

Roosevelt1911 Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Central Phoenix
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So why do it? Right kenn. If there is no good solution, why try. At best you are "consistently" negative towards anyone who dares to bring forward ideas or comments that are against your over analyzed perspective.

[/quote]That was half in jest. It's very likely I'll go to the same number of games regardless of where they play. But, if you notice, I'm not advocating for Peoria, either. Find me a great solution, I'll be all in favor of it. But there simply isn't one here. There may not be anything that rises above "temporary, stopgap, this isn't great but it is what it is" solution.[/quote]

There probably isn't a great solution kenn, here your analysis is spot on! But the Phoenix market isn't alone. With the completion of Pittsburgh's 3000+ stadium, there will be 3 teams in USL Pro with their own stadia, the rest would all tell you that they don't have a great solution, maybe we should use the term "viable", both in the short term and hopefully in the long term. We can hope can't we? Look at DC United... They aren't even in a viable position... FC Dallas and the Rapids have their own stadiums and you can't define their position as great. Viable?

[/quote]Here's what I get: you're a fanboy and shouldn't have actual discussions about the business implications of this whole thing. Just get your scarf and your beer and enjoy that. I've been through this before, know more about this than you, and I'm neither going to apologize for that nor pay much attention to you rant about how someone pokes holes in your fanboy delusions.[/quote]

WOW again! You sound like the jilted lover x10. "It's not you, it's me..." Get over yourself kenn. You are honestly one of the most narcissistic, self idolizing a$$ holes on BigSoccer. And I'm sure you take that as a complement... You must be a pleasure to work with. I would never ask for an apology from you kenn.

Since when has being a fan and tepid optimist been such a bad thing kenn? If I am a "fanboy" then you are snubbing your nose at everyone related to LFR and Phoenix FC, for that matter. You probably want to go to the games just to pick the team apart, so that you can show up on BigSoccer and say "Look at ME! I WAS RIGHT!" Just stay home kenn and wallow in your self inflicted importance.

markmcf8 and revolution1776 repped this.
  21. brandonesque

brandonesque Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Muni seems a bit east of center, but may have the least amount of 'cons'. Sort of silly for Phoenix FC to be playing in Tempe, but then the Coyotes are in Glendale, so whatever works at this point.

22. AdrianV

AdrianV New Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Chandler, Arizona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mostly agree with this, except one major con that has been brought up is the possibility of Muni being used for ASU basesball and having that affect the ability to sell alcohol there. But I don't think there's a real concern if that happens. I'm no authority on this but I thought it was just the possibility of ASU using Muni for games and not necessarily purchasing it (and changing any alcohol policies as a result).

23. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry about it. I was responding to brent, not you.

24. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. yojimbo81

yojimbo81 Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Tempe, AZ
    Club: