Philly Tickets 4/10/10 Question

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by JayRockers!, Jan 7, 2010.

1. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    because of the way we are treated up there, no standing, flags, blah blah blah.....same reasons as colorado, and potential boycott of KC for 1 year.

shame too cause that would be a fun bus trip.....damn you FO's!

2. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, MLS Cup 1999 is the only thing I can come up with.

3. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Well, that and 1996. I was thinking more along the lines of regular season trips.

4. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I know. But I can still only remember the special event trips.

5. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I seem to recall making a trip up there the weekend when Katrina struck. I was really heading to the Soccer Hall of Fame to see John Harkes enshrined. NE was a side trip. It's been a while and I might be combining trips mentally, but I think that was all at the same time.

There's no atmosphere there. None. That makes it a very boring place to go.

For a team that's been as successful as the Revs, they generate very little excitement in the stands.

6. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    If the union and management seriously delay the start of the MLS season, you can pretty much kiss 1st division professional soccer goodbye in the USA. It's hanging on by a thread to begin with in most cities. It's not like the NHL which could cancel an entire season and still have an entire country to fall back on if the league collapsed. We'd just have more teams in Canada and less teams in the league had the NHL completely failed. And no matter how much lipstick you put on the pig, there's no one in MLS or the USA with enough $$$ to compete on the international level, now or anytime in the forseeable future. Especially if the negotiations lead to the erasure of the salary cap. I don't know what the sticking points are, nor do I care. I've pretty much resigned myself to supporting DC United until they move.

I'm surprised the 2nd division in the USA can compete with the travel budget involved. Less cross-country travel, multiple local divisions can only be the way to grow the sport. It's pretty much what we have learned.

Sorry for the threadjack, but it's the first time I actually sat down and thought about the CBA.

Thx,

Jay!

7. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

You have a beer on me when you want!

8. Churchface

Churchface New Member

Sep 21, 2009
    Haddon Heights, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not called a metro in Philly, man they are gonna know you are from out of town, good luck

9. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, 'cause the DC United jersey won't give him away. :rolleyes:

10. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh com'on. If the jersey is covered with enough cheesesteak droppings that you can't see the crest he'll blend right in with the locals.

11. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Along with the crappy atmosphere and annoying security, Gillette stadium is in a weird location between Providence and Boston that makes it an unattractive trip. If you stay at one of the budget hotel/motels along RT 1 near the stadium your evening activities are extremely limited if you don't have a car (unless you're in room 234, then you're all set ;)). If you stay either in Prov, Boston or on a T-stop to get to Boston then you have to drive to the game (and then someone has to be designated driver).

K

12. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...or you can stay at the Red Fox just down the street, imbibe all you like, and walk back after the game. I've done that a few times, not that I'd recommend it to those who prefer a hotel that rates more than -1 star. ;)