Philippines[R]

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by xyz1000, Jan 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the_phlip

the_phlip New Member

Jan 24, 2007
    NoVA
    Any news lately on the NT?

Is there any possibility of getting an NT jersey?

Anyone...Anyone out there?

-rw

2. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Men`s U23 NT will not participate in SEA Games , only the Women`s team.

A jersey ? Not very easy..... try www.pinoysoccer.com

3. Nurafshon

Nurafshon Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Germany
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Hi Philippine! Vote for the best forum poster in this Year. Johnny is in the list of the nominees.:D

4. FlanInTheFace

FlanInTheFace New Member

Aug 3, 2005
    New Jersey
    man, how I would love soccer to become popular in the philippines.

In fact throughout my life, (still long way to go only 18), i have not met another filipino that was slightly interested in soccer.

if only manny paqcuiao (sp?), would just go out and say "HEY, PLAY SOCCER". our dreams would come true

5. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel you. I know of only 3 (well now 4 since you like soccer) other pinoys that like soccer.

Come on Manny! Tell 'em to play futbol!

6. the_phlip

the_phlip New Member

Jan 24, 2007
    NoVA
    Feel free to include me in your count!!

Soccer has been the only sport I have followed for many of my 36 years...always an outcast when there was no MLS...

-rw

7. Crash415

Crash415 New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Scarberia

You can count me in as the 6th. Soccer is the only sport I care enough to watch and play.

8. nopalnation

nopalnation Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    San Diego CA
    Club:
    CA Monarcas Morelia
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Ummm.. quick question, what is the sport the average Filipino/a would be interested in, other than soccer? I mean what is the most common, followed sport in the Philippines, Filipinos living in America, or Americans with Filipino background??

just wondering;)

9. FlanInTheFace

FlanInTheFace New Member

Aug 3, 2005
    New Jersey
    i've never lived in the philippines, but im pretty sure its basketball. I would have to say the same for Filipinos in America also.

10. nopalnation

nopalnation Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    San Diego CA
    Club:
    CA Monarcas Morelia
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    My girl friend told me that the Philippines won a gold medal in bowling once, and that it's a popular sport there, her parents used to play it. And after a quick search i found this http://www.philippinebowling.com/
    It's happening right now:
    [​IMG]

But yeah you are right: B-ball kicks ass there

http://www.pba.com.ph/

http://www.asia-basket.com/phi/phi.asp

;)

11. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    International football returns to Negros Occidental in May when one of the qualifying stages of the Asian Challenge Cup is staged at the Panaad Park and Stadium in Bacolod City .

This was confirmed by Jose Mari Martinez, president of the Philippine Football Federation, who said that four teams, including the RP Team will see action from May 11-18.

The Philippines will be entertaining reigning Challenge Cup champion Tajikistan , Brunei and Bhutan at the Panaad..

Only the top team will move into the main tournament, where it will meet the three other group winners and seeded teams North Korea , Myanmar , Turkmenistan and host India in July in New Delhi and Hyderabad .

The winner of the Challenge Cup --- the tournament for Asia's lowest-ranked squads --- will gain a slot in the 2011 Asian Cup in Qatar .

Tajikistan , which defeated Sri Lanka , 4-0, for the crown in Chittagong , Bangladesh two years ago, is the top-ranked squad at 146 based on the FIFA rankings. The Philippines is at 181, followed by Brunei (186) and Bhutan (196).

The other hosts are Taiwan --- which is grouped with Sri Lanka , Pakistan and Guam --- Kyrgyzstan in Group C, where Bangladesh , Afghanistan and Laos will be playing, and Nepal , which will entertain Palestine , Cambodia and Macau .

COMPOSITION OF RP SQUAD

Martinez said he has tapped technical director Juan Cutillas and national coach Aris Caslib to determine the composition of the team.

“No player is assured of a slot in the team yet,” Martinez said in a telephone interview.

PFF assistant general-secretary Jojo Rodriguez said the PFF has a pool of 34 players that includes skipper Aly Borromeo, Emelio Caligdong and Archie Bayquin, that will be evaluated, before the final squad is announced

The list does not include Filipino-British brothers Phil and James Younghusband and Chris and Phil Greatwich, who were part of the RP XI that saw action during the Asean Football Championship Qualifiers in Bacolod in November 2006.

But Pocholo Borromeo, the PFF coordinator for international competitions, hinted that the Fil-British players may return for another tour of duty for the country.

Martinez hopes the team will be formed by February when the national team faces South Korean club Hyundai for an exhibition match at the Ultra in Pasig .

Bayquin and another goalkeeper, Edward Sacapaño as well as Wilson Dela Cruz are the only players from Negros Occidental who are in the RP pool.

The list includes June Antonio Abiera, Ian Araneta Jemson Ayuban, Richard Betita, Louie Michael Casas, Ruben Doctora Jr., Roxy Dorlas, Eliezar Fabroada, Peter John Fadrigalan, Jayric Iligan, Peter Jaugan, Nicholas Leonora, Jeffrey Liman, Mark Madrona, Ruffy Narvaez, Gerald Orcullo, Jerome Orcullo, Dan padernal, Rolly Perez, Mark Alvin Valeroso, Dave Peterson Villon, Harold Bayona, Roel Gener, Joebel Bermejo, Reynaldo Corton, Darren Hartmann, Neckson Leonora, Jeoffrey Lobaton and Joseph Rojo. *CPT

http://www.visayandailystar.com/2008/January/23/sportnews1.htm

12. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Granted I have never seen these guys play, but you have to believe that the guys from England are good enough to be on this squad. I hope the PFA isn't being cheap.

13. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    New national Coach

BACOLOD CITY – Former international Norman Fegidero Jr. will coach the Philippines national team for the ASEAN nations’ forthcoming AFC Challenge Cup qualifying campaign.

The 38-year-old replaces Aris Caslib and was recommended to the position by PFF (Philippines Football Federation) Technical Director Juan Cutillas, who made Fegidero captain during his tenure as national team head coach.

"He was an exceptional player with tremendous leadership skills and was chosen based on merits and nothing less,” Cutillas said of Fegidero, who quit playing international football in 2001 after racking up almost 70 appearances for his country.

Fegidero’s first mission is to guide the Philippines through the qualifying stage of the 2008 AFC Challenge Cup, where they have been grouped with defending champions Tajikistan, Bhutan, and ASEAN rivals Brunei.

Qualification matches will take place from May 11 to 18 in Bacalod City, with the winner of the group advancing to the AFC Challenge Cup finals which will be held in India in August.

http://www.the-afc.com/eng/articles/viewArticle.jsp_165413000.html

14. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Total commitment, nothing less.

Newly-appointed national football coach Norman Fegidero wants to form the squad for the 2008 Asian Challenge Cup grounded on this mantra.

“They should be committed. They should have the desire to win,” Fegidero, who accepted the post Tuesday, said.

The former national team striker, who has close to 70 appearances for the RP Team from 1989-2001, said he is eyeing at least nine Bacolod City-based players to be invited for the upcoming try-outs.

Among the players targeted by Fegidero are St. La Salle standouts Arnie Pasinabo, Floriano Pasilan and Louie Michael Casas and West Negros University players Robert Canedo, Lemuel Unabia, Irl Tomodos, Joel Ballo-Allo and Joven Bedic.

The Challenge Cup is scheduled May 11-18 at the Panaad Park and Stadium.

Fegidero said he is flying to Manila on Monday to also look into players based there. He said he will discuss details of his contract with the Philippine Federation.

He will also observe the friendly match between national team aspirants and South Korean National League champion Ulsan Mipo Hyundai Dockyard on Tuesday at the Philsports Complex pitch in Pasig City . The aspirants will be handled by Edwin Cabalida, who will be one of Fegidero's assistants for the Challenge Cup.

Known by their monicker Dolphins, the Korean booters are the defending champions of their country's Second Division League.

“This is a good opportunity of our national team hopefuls to test their mettle against a top Korean squad as part of their preparations for the Asian Challenge Cup qualifiers in Bacolod in May,” Philippine Football Federation president Jose Mari Martinez said in a press release. *CPT

http://www.visayandailystar.com/2008/February/16/sportnews2.htm

15. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I find it hard to understand that the new coach has accepted the job without even seeing his contract, or by the sounds of things not even being based in the Philippines.

16. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    He is living in Bacolod , that is in Philippines...

He want the job , Im sure they already agreed about the contract by phone.

17. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he tries to contact some PA's (Pinoys Abroad). College players can only take us so far

18. SapirWhorfHypothesis

Mar 5, 2008
    Echo Park in L.A.
    Hello Filipino soccer heads, all 6 of you in the known universe. 7 if you include that guy who makes those Paulino Alcantara videos. 8 if you include me now.

I've read through some of this thread, and I want to say a few things:

1) Yes, Filipinos need to put down the basketballs and start kicking them around. Were not that tall anyway, what are we doing, I don't know what or why the heck were hardwired to something which we are not made for.

2) I see a few Mexicans enjoying Filipina company. Well, given that I live in LA, no Filipino plays soccer, only Latinos play soccer, I think this calculates to me becoming Mexican and enjoying Mexicana company.

3) What's happening with the Younghusband bros?

4) Anyone think or see a Filipino cracking a top Euro league anytime soon?

19. FlanInTheFace

FlanInTheFace New Member

Aug 3, 2005
    New Jersey
    1) yes i agree, i know so many filipinos that are actually not that bad, and they try out for high school teams and they just get sent home becuase they aren't tall enough.

3) no idea

4) nope, unless there are some drastic changes to our youth development and just development of the sport overall nothing will ever happen. Our best hope is like a half filipino half country-that-is-good-at-soccer.

20. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway

Phil Younghusband was some months in Esbjerg , Danish Div1 . Played a few reserve matches but no A match. After returning to Chelsea he was on trial with Scunthorpe , but no success. Back in Chelsea reserves now.

James Younghusband is clubless. I think he is more busy modelling than playing football :D

21. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Azkals mangle Cebu
    By Edri K. Aznar
    Sun.Star Correspondent

CEBU’S best footballers gave their best, but in the end the RP national football team was just too fast, too good and the Azkals lived up to the fan’s expectations as they manhandled the All-stars, 6-0, during the opening of the 8th Inter-Club Football Cup yesterday at the University of San Carlos Technological Center football field.

The RP National team started out strong offensively but the defense of the Cebu All-stars and poor finishing on the part of the Azkals—the nickname of the RP
    team—resulted to no goals in the first 20 minutes of the game.

Team captain Emilio Caligdong, who served as a super sub in previous RP teams, scored off a block from Gary Garciano in the 23rd minute to break the scoring drought for the RP National team.

Fresh from the bench, Jovin Bedic immediately let his presence felt as he scored the second goal for the RP team in the 38th, redirecting Fil-Briton striker Phil Younghusband’s nifty cross from right flank.

Four minutes later, Younghusband joined the scoring act after heading in Anton del Rosario’s free kick for a 3-0 lead.

The closest Cebu got to scoring was from Julius Acre’s 30-yard free kick, which just skirted past the top post.

In the second half, more Fil-Brits suited up for the team as Phil’s brother, James and Chad Gould entered the game.

Just two minutes in, Phil scored his second goal off a freekick and completed his hattrick with another header, this time from a well-timed cross from James. Gould sealed the easy 6-0 victory with a strike in the 61st minute.

The Cebu All-Stars tried their best to find an opening but the defense of the RP team, anchored on the tough Ali Borromeo and Anton del Rosario seemed as solid as a wall.

Despite the easy win, the Azkals’ second straight in Cebu after a similar score against Queen City last Saturday, coach Norman Fegidero still sees a lot of room for improvement.

Fegidero believes the two Younghusbands still have a lot of adjusting to make since they only arrived from England last Friday.

The coach also thinks the RP team has a big chance in winning the Asian Challenge Cup set on May and the only team that might hinder them is the powerhouse Tajikistan team.

“We have a big chance in winning this tournament. The only team that i think is ahead of us is Tajikistan”, said Fegidero.

The RP team lacked the presence of Fil-foreigners Chris Greatwich, Neil Etheridge and Everton midfielder James Hall in yesterday’s friendly match. (EKA)

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2008/04/28/sports/azkals.mangle.cebu.html

22. kudamoosa

kudamoosa New Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Malaysia
    Is anybody aware that Maldives going to play friendly with Philippines....

23. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Why are the Philippines not playing 2008 WCQ's?

24. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am pretty sure we (meaning the PI) dropped out of the AFC WCQ.
    I think the reason was we didn't have a full time coach.

25. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway