Philippines[R]

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by xyz1000, Jan 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xyz1000

xyz1000 Member

Jan 8, 2003
  2. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Thanks!

Now if we just had a link to regular news coming out of the Philippines...

3. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Philippine FA

Does the Philippine FA even do anything???

How is this entire country forgotten totally by AFC & FIFA. Nothing is being done to make futbol popular here.

It's a shame. It would be great to have another competitive team in East/SE Asia.

4. xyz1000

xyz1000 Member

Jan 8, 2003
    I read all the posts in the forums (that should already give you a clue as to the level of soccer activity in the Philippines), and the consensus is that the Philippine Football Federation (PFF) doesn't have the resources, the government support, and the public's interest. Hence, the organization has no vision.

There are some regions where soccer is thriving, however. The dream is for many of these grassroots organizations to sprout all around the country. For now it seems that only in the Visayas is soccer supreme.

5. marky

marky New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Philippines
    thanks xyz1000 for informing my site to this forum.

by the way, futbol571 & Roehl Sybing, are you both Filipinos too???

I remember one poster from New York who is also a Filipino and was born in Quezon. his username is MetroFlip. but I haven't seen him post for a long time now.:(

I hope you follow the Philippine football scene through my website.

http://philfootball.info

6. Kai-PFC

Kai-PFC New Member

Jul 11, 2005
  7. happy

happy Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Re: Philippine Soccer

Do U guys really have a league becos I saw some in the froum say yes while other not as sure & if there is, is it a national league or state league

Thanks for any info U an give

8. taegukgi2004

taegukgi2004 New Member

Jan 10, 2005

well, most of SE asia is just too poor and they lack just general infrastructure period...perhaps, they ought to focus their attention on other important issues, such as education, corruption, terriosim, and etc...I really don't know anything about phillipines or phillipine football, but, i know well enough that they should take cares of others problems rather than diverting their resources to football...just my opinion.....

9. happy

happy Member

Nov 23, 2004

Your comments make me laugh as it show a lack of understanding

To call ASEAN too poor is crazy is all I can say

10. taegukgi2004

taegukgi2004 New Member

Jan 10, 2005

lack of understanding...which part of my post do you disagree with?

11. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

nice to hear from the Phillipines. we need countries in asia that lack football neccessities to gain more interest in this worldwide sport. i heard in vietnam soccer is becoming more and more popular. theres even leagues popping out of nowhere in USA.

12. happy

happy Member

Nov 23, 2004

Right from the start as not all ASEAN is poor & without general infrasturture

While a few countries do lacked like Cambodia & Laos, other like Myanmar & Vietnam who open up much earlier has started building the infrasturture while other like Malaysia & Singapore has much of it already

Even in Phillppines, the basketball stadiums are quite good showing they have the investments for sports in their countries

So it is clear ASEAN like many region could be divided up & not lumped everything togther as even the problem each country in the region faced can
    be quite different

Example A country like Indonesia have a 30 million middle class population & has great potential but it is their large size & uneven development causing headache which is not found in Malaysia & Singapore

13. taegukgi2004

taegukgi2004 New Member

Jan 10, 2005

let me repost my line...

here it is...

well, most of SE asia.....

hence the word MOST and not all okay....Interms of phillipines, i hate to break your bubbles, but, by looking at these stats, football should be the last thing on thier mind. all i was saying is that the country it self is very corrupted.

GDP - per capita:
    Definition Field Listing Rank Order
    purchasing power parity - $5,000 (2004 est.)

Population below poverty line:
    Definition Field Listing
    40% (2001 est.)

14. happy

happy Member

Nov 23, 2004

First of all by your defination how much of ASEAN is poor most becos your first post already make ASEAN out to be poor so it is clear U are lumping everybpdy together

Second IF Phillippines is as poor as the Western media had make out to be then their billionares there would not be contiuning to invest in shopping malls & telecom in attaracting the middle class as it does nt make sense.

The problem is similar to Indonesia where despite having a reasonable middle class the population is just growing too fast at double digits thanks to the Church.

That is why Basketball have so much fundings in their country & has a semi-pro league despite their reptuation as a poor country

15. taegukgi2004

taegukgi2004 New Member

Jan 10, 2005

look,

dont take it to heart, i think you might be a sensetive FLIP but, show me some stats on phillipines to prove otherwise economically. what do you consider middle class in phillipines and how has the western media portrayed phillipines tobe a poor country...Perhaps, the only media that you should really be concerned in phillipines media where reporters are getting killed by the "unknown sources" due to thier stance of goverment of phillipines.....

my source

www.economist.com/asia

and second thing about billionare investing in phillipines...this case is no different from billionares investing in china....It's a capitalist system where you like it or not, it's a legal exploitation system where they taking advantage of cheap labor with high productivity along with heavy sibsidies from host goverment....

16. happy

happy Member

Nov 23, 2004

No interest to get political in a football forum but Phippines has 15 milion middle class & by that it defined as able to feed themselves & have homes as well as electrial appliances

So the billionares exploiting them is way over as there is a market but limited to Manlia & surrounding areas

Also last year Phppines grew 6% & this year it is expected to maintain that but with the church unwilling to give up their power one cannot see pop growth slowing down & it is affecting them as this is a country with a good educated group but the ecomony cannot grow fast enough to absorh them

In all both of us could be here all day & nobody will changed views but if being corrput & poor mean football (or sport) must nt be connsidered then a lot in Asia like Iran etc should give up

17. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Huy! Relax pare...

Back to soccer in the Homeland...There isn't any! Biggest foot-related sport back home is...SIPA, beyotches!

Hoop is massive. Of course, our guys lack the physical qualities to be kings of hoop in Asia, but it's something that kids from the barangays to do.

Most towns do have outdoor concrete/blacktop courts (I know that the court right outside my lola's house is paved like that and I have the sugats on ny tuhud to prove it), and there's also those roofed courts, to prevent rain (I blew my knee out playing hoop at one of those joints).

Maybe soccer back home would improve if kids from the States chose to rep the homeland...or choose athletics over being a macking DJ!

Sigi na, k-eye-bee-gan! :D

18. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

How much difference by popularity there is among basket and football in the Philippines?

19. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey I own a PBA logo t-shirt... but it still confuses me that "ating kababayan" choose to play the tall man's game, and yet it will be quite a while before we see one in the NBA. Kumusta na doon "sa atin" ... our average height is 5'3" - 5'8"... so what sport do you think Pinoys should be playing? :rolleyes:

Maybe not just the States...The Filipino diaspora is pretty spread out. There are decent-sized Filipino communities all over Western Europe, from Italy to Spain and in Britain. (FYI It was only AFTER I chose to follow West Brom that I learned that there are quite a few Pinay nurses working in hospitals in England's Black Country.) No doubt quite a few of these Fil-Euros have taken up the footy. As with those of us who are second-gen Fil-Am kids, theses Fil-Euros can apply for dual citizenship and then represent Pilipinas in international competition.

I've often checked the P.I.'s record in international competition and it's no wonder we suck. THERE IS NO INTEREST IN THE SPORT. You can't discount the corruption (Lumayas ka na, "Ate Glo" !!!) and the poverty. But other dirt poor and corrupt countries in East Asia regularly kick our ass, and yet other dirt poor and corrupt countries in South America and Africa could score 10 goals or more on the national team. If some foreign-born imports can generate some results, maybe more interest can be generated.

20. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Another soccermad flip checking in. Just wanted to throw out two random tidbits:

- Basketball is BY FAR the most popular sport in the PI.
    - I worked on a soccer video game called World Tour Soccer that actually had the Phillipines National Team on it. Of course, all the players looked the same and had rankings of like 9 or 11 (out of 100). Meanwhile, Beckham was like a 94 and Shevchenko was a 98.

21. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I remember one of the old versions of FIFA from seven or eight years ago(sorry to bring up the competition) also had the PI team... probably THE worst team in the game, it was a wonder I managed to score even on the easiest setting.

22. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway

Last matches for the Philippines team were in Tiger Cup 2004

8.12 Philippines - Myanmar
    10.12 Philippines- Malaysia 1-4
    14.12 Philippines- East Timor 2-1 :)
    16.12 Philippines- Thailand 1-3

I dont think they will play any international senior matches this year.

All priorities goes to SEA Games in November in Bacolod , Philippines. A U-23 tournament.

Teams :
    Brunei
    Cambodia
    Laos
    Vietnam
    Malaysia
    Philippines
    Indonesia
    Myanmar
    Thailand
    Singapore

23. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

East Timor is our bitch. :)

BTW, although in 2-player I got my ass handed to me in the soccer game using the PI, I did manage a famous win against one of the worst players who was using Real Madrid. Yup.

24. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway

PFF to put up nat’l. club league
    By Mike T. Limpag
    Sun.Star Correspondent

GOOD news for Filipino football fans.

The Philippine Football Federation (PFF) is set to strengthen its grassroots link and will put up a national league for local clubs in the next two years.

The move is also in line with the Asian Football Confederation’s (AFC) thrust to help the Philippines and other struggling football nations.

The AFC is set to hold the AFC President’s Cup, a tournament for country’s like Afghanistan, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, Chinese Taipei, Guam, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Macau, Mongolia, Nepal, Pakistan, Palestine, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan and Timor Leste.

“We were not able to participate in the first AFC Cup because we did not have a national league,” Cebu Football Association (CebuFA) president Jonathan Maximo said.

Maximo attended the PFF board of governor’s meeting last Saturday in Manila, where the PFF announced the plan to put up a national league in 2007.

The PFF plans to start in the provincial football associations (FA).

“The plan is for each FA to put up a league, not a cup competition,” Maximo said. “The champion in each FA will compete in the area league, like the Liga Mindanao or the Visayas Liga.”

The champions in both leagues will face each other in the national league together with the champion of Ang Liga in Manila and the Luzon League.

The PFF is also set to address the perennial problem of players transferring from one team to another.

“At the start of the competition, each club will only have 25 players and they can not change the line-up until the season ends,” Maximo said.

The line-ups will also be forwarded to the AFC.

“AFC wants to support the clubs here. They want to give them as many matches as possible, so the FA leagues might be double- or triple-round robin,” Maximo said.

Transfer negotiations will now be done club to club instead of player to coach and negotiations will be limited in the off-season in a semi-professional football environment

25. FlanInTheFace

FlanInTheFace New Member

Aug 3, 2005
    New Jersey
    Phillipines[R]

so can anyone tell me anything about them?

has anyone ever seen them play?

any info you can tell me would be greatly appreciated