Philadelphia Union to Hold Troubling Chick-Fil-A Giveaway

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Tyr, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

edit - arghhhhhhh no pic posted

BuddhaWake repped this.
  2. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You, also, won't get rid of poverty if you sit around and say nothing can be done. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Also, unemployment and poverty are far higher than they have been in the past in this country as the 1% having largely enriched themselves through what has become a globalized, totalitarian capitalist structure, which is why your resignation to poverty in the world seems rather disingenuous as it assumes systematic problems are general, universal problems in this world. With that in mind, I would say we should also target Target (pun not intended) and Starbucks for their practices, but considering neither of them are partnering with the Union for a game, why would I discuss that on this forum.

Before anyone misconstrues me, I am not calling for a Marxist revolution or saying we should be burning CFA to the ground. I'm not trying to change anyone's political views or convince anyone that their desired economic system is a load of shit. All I am saying is that Union have partnered with a company that does not pay a fair wage and financially supports anti-LGBTQ organizations. Now, i don't want my partner with such a company, hence why I started this thread and hence why I think we should be calling the Union out on their hypocrisy, especially considering the fact that our organization is run by a man who likes to lie to us and exploit us for money.

Actually, I do think we should protest those companies. However, are the Union partnering with Walmart, Target, McDonald's, or Starbucks? Then why are they relevant to a debate about whether we should call the Union out for partnering with CFA? Also, why are you red-washing us with Marxist terminology when we (at least I, myself,) are not Marxists? Could it be that someone doesn't have a valid response and has to change the tone and topic of the argument as a result?

Handsome Pete, UnionDues and BuddhaWake repped this.
  3. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    I would like to sign-up for your newsletter. seriously. :D Also, don't forget that CFA and others are mostly staffed by part timers because that is is what companies want. they want it just like that. No health benefits if you are not full-time, no vacation time etc etc. So it doesn't cut profits not because people are only in transition between jobs or for extra money or whatever.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  4. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back to the topic at hand: is there any consensus on what people want to do? I'd rather do something rather than nothing as I'd rather Philly fans not be known as passive fans who ignore the club's actions.

Someone ideas thrown around (including some of my own):

1. Everyone who disagrees should email the Union so as to show how much of a backlash there is.
    2. Protest outside the game.
    3. Have a LGBTQ pride night and maybe invite Robbie Rogers or David Testo.
    4. Storm PPL Park, lynch Nick Ballsack, redistribute the team's resources, and cut Danny Cruz.

Haha. Thanks. Politics and arguing are my bread and butter.

5. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    can't we do that even without CFA? actually, lynching might be too much just get him out, take Hack with him, open the books and make Danny Cruz a non-starter. We all need to compromise.

6. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could, but I think BSP's head would explode.

BuddhaWake repped this.
  7. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    he doesn't have to see it. just have a team on the field, and the beer flowing.

8. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quit it, we're supposed to be mortal BS-enemies, and here I am liking your posts.

9. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, to those who oppose this thread or doing anything against CFA, just don't click on this thread, and let those of us who disagree with this partnership discuss plans on what we want to do in response. I'd rather actually plan this out than have to argue with multiple people about the validity of our views.

10. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When it appeared in my alert bar, I figured you must've clicked the wrong post.

11. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How could they know you feel that way if they don't click on it?

In all seriousness, if you want to plan something out without other people throwing in their 2 cents, I suggest you do it via email or PMs or something a lot less public. Stating you don't want people to post here doesn't mean they won't, and any disagreement will surely spiral out of control. Because that's always fun.

Doop and aztec21bas repped this.
  12. nhlman10

nhlman10 Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Meh
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who gives a shit either way.....for christ sake our jersey says "BIMBO" on it....... relax folks

Doop and billf repped this.
  13. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    what you don't like bread?

Doop, Handsome Pete and onehandedtyr repped this.
  14. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nothing says we are anti-hate like lynching someone.

Doop, EmeraldDawn and aztec21bas repped this.
  15. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    nothing says sarcasm like red text. But you agree with the rest though, right?

16. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I know it was sarcasm, haha, I don't agree with CFA's views, but I want to go to PPL to watch soccer, not to protest a company who is sponsoring a giveaway.

Doop, aztec21bas and BuddhaWake repped this.
  17. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    I'm just busting your chops. What if I told you you could do all that and still protest. that's the beauty. not everything has to be a march or picket signs. I would actually be opposed to that. but you can say. I won't buy a beer instead of the 2 or 3 i would normally get. or say I won't buy a shirt on this game. I'll wait until the next game, etc. If you care, not saying you have to either.

18. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no issue with what you write. I may differ as to what the cause is or how to address it but I understand and accept your points. My real objection to using pay at CFA to further vilify it, ignores similar pay for unskilled work across many industries.

Doop repped this.
  19. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right. I just wanted to refocus this topic on it's actual purpose.

Messaging sounds like a good idea, but I just wanted to be able to attract anyone interested who an email or PM may miss.

Anyone interested in organizing some type of a response to this should PM me, and we will figure out communication/what we will do through that.

20. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Game is during the week, so I won't be able to go anyway. So yeaaa....

21. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    so there you go. you can tell the FO that you are not going because of it even if its not true. hahhaha.

drewuke and onehandedtyr repped this.
  22. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Anarchy at its finest, haha.

23. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    exactly. they don't need to know the real reason, they just need to think that is because of something they did/did not do/etc.

24. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to 2011.

Doop and BuddhaWake repped this.
  25. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not interested. I just don't want you getting all obnoxious, which we Philly people excel at, while I am trying to watch a game with a beer in my hand, crab fries salt all over my face, screaming DOOP like a drunken sailor, and not have to worry about anything political for 90+ minutes because I have to wake up the next day dealing with usual daily nonsense.