Philadelphia Union to Hold Troubling Chick-Fil-A Giveaway

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Tyr, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In fairness, I asked two people in the marketing department who I know reasonably well about the situation. They basically shrugged and said to me that the marketing department has nothing to do with sponsorship issues and the subject quickly changed to something else. It appeared to me that one person may not have even been aware of the issue before I asked about it.

2. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's really the end of the issue. There isn't "blame" to go around because there is no fault here. Somebody was doing their job selling and setting up a promotion with a local franchise ownership whom, it sounds like, the FO has worked with before. Not sure why they would need to be "thrown under the bus" when they haven't done anything wrong.

If we really want to mix politics with our Soccer, I'm sure there are plenty of folks in the crowd who have a pretty stark opinion about war and the soldiers who are given accolades prior to matches.

Or how about the fact that Nick himself was excited to "welcome Villanova University into our Union family and are delighted to join forces to bring this event to magnificent PPL Park." The University receives endowments from the much maligned Roman Catholic Church.

Again, can't we just go watch Soccer? As a supporter of a lot of socio-political groups (a lot of which are related to sexual preference equality and gender identification), sometimes I just want to get away for a bit. If CFA is part of it, I'll hardly even notice.

jaykoz3, billf, Handsome Pete and 3 others repped this.
  3. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How dare you pick on the Holy Roman Catholic Church........wait, you say I did that too? Carry on then, nothing to see here.

I agree it is a soccer game and it is a release for a lot of people. There are some things to be mindful of when choosing who you do business with but in the end I care more about going to the game then I do about the promos they do.

BuddhaWake, Dills and celt1997 repped this.
  4. MorganFreeman

MorganFreeman Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    In many states (PA included), you can be fired for being homosexual. CFA has supported any changes to the laws that allow this.

5. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here. I'd rather be able to leave my social beliefs at home when I go see a game, but I can't with a promotion like this going on.

Source? I realize that PA is an at-will state, but I don't see any recent changes to laws dealing with this.

Doop repped this.
  6. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was my belief as well that you can get fired at anytime just not for discriminatory reasons.

7. MorganFreeman

MorganFreeman Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    the law:
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/111/hr3017

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employment_Non-Discrimination_Act

this has been introduced many times and CFA has supported the opposition.

At-will has some limitations, like

Statutory exceptions

Although all U.S. states have a number of statutory protections for employees, most wrongful termination suits brought under statutory causes of action use the federal anti-discrimination statutes which prohibit firing or refusing to hire an employee because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or handicap status. Other reasons an employer may not use to fire an at-will employee are:
    • for refusing to commit illegal acts – An employer is not permitted to fire an employee because the employee refuses to commit an act that is illegal.
    • family or medical leave – federal law permits most employees to take a leave of absence for specific family or medical problems. An employer is not permitted to fire an employee who takes family or medical leave for a reason outlined in the Family and Medical Leave Act.
    • not following own termination procedures – often, the employee handbook or company policy outlines a procedure that must be followed before an employee is terminated. If the employer fires an employee without following this procedure, the employee may have a claim for wrongful termination.
    Examples of federal statutes include:
    • Equal Pay Act of 1963 (relating to discrimination on the basis of sex in payment of wages);
    • Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (relating to discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, or national origin);
    • Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (relating to certain discrimination on the basis of age with respect to persons of at least 40 years of age);
    • Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (related to certain discrimination on the basis of handicap status);
    • Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (relating to certain discrimination on the basis of handicap status).
    • The National Labor Relations Act provides protection to employees who wish to join or form a union and those who engage in union activity. The act also protects employees who engage in a "concerted activity".[27] Most employers set forth their workplace rules and policies in an employee handbook. A common provision in those handbooks is a statement that employment with the employer is "at-will." In 2012, the National Labor Relations Board, the federal administrative agency responsible for enforcing the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA), instituted two cases attacking at-will employment disclaimers in employee handbooks. The NLRB challenged broadly worded disclaimers, alleging that the statements improperly suggested that employees could not act concertedly to attempt to change the at-will nature of their employment, and thereby interfered with employees’ protected rights under the NLRA.[28]
    • In 2012, Region 28 of the National Labor Relations Board, located in Arizona, attempted[clarification needed] to outlaw the practice of including at-will employment disclaimers in employee handbooks by finding such at-will provisions unlawful under the National Labor Relations Act. Arizona Region 28 case - American Red Cross Arizona and Lois Hampton addressed the Unlawful waiver of NLRB rights and a second case, Hyatt Hotels Corporation and Unite Here International Union, addressed the Settlement of claims. [29]
    • In addition to being fired based on status in a protected class (e.g., race, gender, etc.), employers are not allowed to retaliate against any protected action. "Protected actions" include suing for wrongful termination, testifying as a witness in a wrongful termination case, or even opposing what they believe, whether they can prove it or not, to be wrongful discrimination.[30] In the recent federal case of Ross v. Vanguard, Raymond Ross successfully sued his employer for firing him due to his allegations of racial discrimination.[31]

8. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to BigLegal.com, everyone.

9. wscottl

wscottl Member

Jun 24, 2011
    SE PA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget, it's also '80's Theme Night!

[​IMG]

10. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yours is too. Employment is always at-will unless an employee is covered under collective bargaining or has signed some sort of contract.

If you went to work for the Union FO and Sack discovered that you were homosexual, he could fire you simply for being gay because there are no laws on the books preventing him from doing so, at least as a private company. NJ and some other states have laws preventing an employer from doing this, but an employee still has to prove discrimination, so good luck with that.

Of course, the fact that CFA serves crappy food and pays its employees less than a living wage is a non-issue.

11. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some could argue that the Union brand puts out a crappy product and pays some employees either way too little, or in some extreme cases, a helluva lot way too much.

It's a match made in heaven, then.

billf, BuddhaWake and EmeraldDawn repped this.
  12. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it even remotely possible to go to a soccer game, which is an entertainment, without someone trying to ruin the experience with political rantings? The last thing I need is someone getting political with me at PPL Park when I just simply want to grab a beer, eat some Crab Fries, watch Union win (or lose in mediocre fashion), and walk away with a smile. I have enough political crap to deal with on a daily basis.

13. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's an important distinction. While I would participate in a protest in Toyota plaza, once I'm in the stadium, it's all about blue and gold.

14. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll bring my Subaru.

15. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'I promised myself I wasn't gonna do this'

BuddhaWake, billf and jtreg repped this.
  16. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you drive this, you are aces in my book.

[​IMG]

17. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crappy food is subjective. I think CFA serves a pretty good product, especially compared to their competitors. As for a living wage, what's that even mean? We're talking about a group of people who are mostly part-time students or those looking for second jobs. You could make the same wage argument about MLS and any number of other companies associated with MLS, Bimbo included.

Doop repped this.
  18. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though I don't want to start another argument, sports are incredibly political. They, themselves, rarely seem to escape politics within a region or country.

Can you necessarily prove it is mostly students or individuals looking part time? Anecdotally, I see many adults working in fast food places, especially with the state of the economy. However, fast food pays a wage below the poverty line of $11,170. Now, some quick googling brought up two sites that both report the average fast food workers wage as being $11,000 a year, which is below the poverty line (though I can't confirm how accurate these sites are). So this, in part, what I believe UnionDues meant by the fact that CFA does not pay a living wage. $11,000 is not much at all to live on. I'm sure MLS, Bimbo, and other companies pay more than this to their employees.

http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/12poverty.shtml

http://gothamist.com/2012/12/07/supersize_my_wages_fast_food_worker.php

http://www.simplyhired.com/a/salary/search/q-fast food

BuddhaWake repped this.
  19. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't do anything more than extrapolate based on what I see, just like you. When I go to CFA, I see four categories of workers, obvious students, a couple of older retired aged people, a full time manager or two, and the franchisee. I've also worked in retail and fast food. Most of my coworkers were in school. In retail, there were more of the working poor types. We also aren't talking about skilled work here.

Aside from that, the wage issue is meaningless to the discussion because CFA pays what its competitors and those with whom they compete for employees pay, minimum wage to start. It would not surprise me, based on the people I see working at the Bimbo plants locally, that they make much more than minimum wage. If they do, great, but it won't be by much.

20. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on, you know what "living wage" means. It's being paid at a level that allows you to meet your basic subsistence needs for an extended period of time. As for whether MLS players are underpaid, that's a subjective question. Even a player in MLS at the league minimum still gets healthcare and a guaranteed contract, far better than working at CFA.
    I recognize that CFA is no different than, say, Wal-Mart in that regard, but should that really let them off the hook?
    Poverty line is generally a pretty good indicator, yes.

BuddhaWake repped this.
  21. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think wage is a distraction to be honest, so yes on this CFA should be let off the hook. Again, this is not skilled work and usually a part time job. If wage was a real issue, then why not take the Union to task for the salary of interns or the wages paid to the concession workers at PPL? The wage is a problem when people do not like the company. No one seems upset that you aren't getting rich at Target or Starbucks either. I also personally take issue with the term living wage. We could declare today that the minimum wage is $28/hour and in short order that would no longer be a living wage as it drives the cost of everything from a gallon of milk to the cost of rents up. An unfortunate reality of life, and I write this as someone who worked my way from $15k a year to six figures, is that there are always going to be poor people.

22. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we went from discrimination to legalese to wages all in the name of hating Chick Fil-A. Quite disingenuous. I guess that mean we need to protest everything then. Wal Mart, shut it down. Target, shut it down. Mickey D's, shut it down. Starbucks, shut it down. Let's shut them all down. Workers Unite! Let's shut down the Union while we are at it.

23. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would point out to you that the wealth gap between the rich and poor in this country has never been higher since the Gilded Age, that the minimum wage has not even kept up with inflation (nevermind with the growth in productivity), that social mobility is lower than ever, that government policy favors the wealthy, and that the rich are now richer than ever, but I suspect it would fall on deaf ears. I am glad you pulled yourself up by your bootstraps. Furthermore, I would like to see all the organizations you mentioned pay their employees more and also see all of their workers represented by collective bargaining. But this thread is about CFA, not those other organizations. With absolutely no disrespect intended to LGBT individuals, I find myself wondering why these issues that affect a small minority are so front and center when issues such as worker pay affect all employees are not. I suppose most people just feel that the situation is hopeless on that front. That being said, CFA's anti-LGBT political actions are disgusting and should be condemned.

24. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was with you right up until the end!!! If you shut the Union down then we wouldn't be on Big Soccer discussing things like this and my job would be a lot more boring (probably more productive but that is besides the point).

BuddhaWake repped this.
  25. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Someone mentioned the concession stand workers at PPL park, those have already been talked about in the tax and chester thread and how is disingenuous of the state, city and the Union to act like making the stadium would get anyone a job when they only jobs are those people that sell us the beer etc and they are only there a handful of days per year for a few hours. so they have a job for 17 days for 3 hours. that sucks since Chester has sh*t for you otherwise.

But EFF them all, i just want to be entertained and not worry about anyone else while drinking my beer and eating my pretzel.

Just to completely derail the thread!

Handsome Pete and UnionDues repped this.