Philadelphia Union to Hold Troubling Chick-Fil-A Giveaway

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Tyr, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not denying that it happened, the level of severity, or anything along those lines. All I'm saying is there are people out there - IMO shockingly more than should be acceptable - that don't have their fingers on the pulse of current events and probably have no clue why the team and CFA having a give-away event is a big controversy.

Yes, there are some people - as is VERY evident on these boards - that have a problem with this. And, my point is, there are also bound to be some Union supporters who probably have no clue why it's a problem. It's just me playing devil's advocate.
    To be fair, I was at work, and asked my coworkers. You know, "non-scientific". But please feel free to poll the entire metropolitan area at your leisure.

Doop and kevin ryan repped this.
  2. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well someone is in a miserable mood today. Don't make sweeping statements about the population and how far news reaches just by talking to people at your work.

3. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While, yes, workplace polls don't carry a lot of legitimacy, it doesn't take much google-fu to realize that, as a nation, a large majority of people are woefully (not)up-to-date on current events. You've probably seen some of those "man-on-the-street" comedy bits where people don't even know the Vice-President. I don't think it's a stretch, even in the 24-hour news cycle era, to think that a lot of people don't know anything about the CFA controversy, or have completely forgotten about it.

4. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I
    I don't think he was. The fact remains that for 90% of people, they do not care about the fact that there even is an issue. They just like the chicken. I sincerely doubt that the only people dining at CFA are militant right wing Christians. I am just as certain that there are many homosexuals that actually DO eat there. It is just not that big of a deal to the average person, and I believe that was the issue Dills was trying to convey.

Chesco United, Doop, billf and 2 others repped this.
  5. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is not a fact - you literally just made it up.

miked9 repped this.
  6. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he's right, I am in a pretty sour mood today ... doesn't have anything to do with the argumentative tone of his posts, though, you can be sure of that.

Have some SBS rep, aztec21bas

7. aztec21bas

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep you caught me......

Dulliwhig repped this.
  8. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hug it out? I have some family issues at home which are making some of my posts more dickish than normal.

9. cpurdom

cpurdom Member

Mar 3, 2008
    127 F
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    As someone who ran a pro-LGBT educational non-profit for 10 years, and was on the steering committees and advisory boards of national and state-wide organizations with similar missions, I agree with Dills. Even people who want to be informed can't keep most of the political complexity organized in their heads, and the majority are too busy worrying about their own survival to have been informed in the first place. Is it March yet?

riot71 repped this.
  10. aztec21bas

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is it that many of the people who scream the loudest about being tolerant, are so reluctant to be tolerant of the positions of others? Tolerance is a two way street!

Chesco United and UnionBulldog repped this.
  11. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, I'll bite. Which people are you talking about that are screaming for tolerance, but are anything but tolerent themselves?

12. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have an idea, let's not go there.

UnionBulldog and fcobbina repped this.
  13. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably me. ;)

14. aztec21bas

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was not speaking about any one group in particular. Please understand that tolerance and acceptance are not the same thing. I can love you as a person and not necessarily agree with all of your beliefs or practices, that is tolerance. Acceptance is when one agrees with everything you are about. We are all different. That being said, I am sure that if we dig deep enough into anyone's person, we could all find something about just about anyone that we do not accept. However if we love them as a person, we are able to overlook that which we do not agree with. If you are a fundamentalist Christian and I am a supporter of Gay Rights, it does not mean we can not get along, and vice versa. It just requires that each of us are tolerant of one another. I have dear friends that are Christians and I have dear friends who are gay. I love them for who they are and am tolerant of all of their beliefs without accepting that which does not fit in my life. I think we all tread on very fragile ground when we start to call each other out over political and philosophical views. We are all different, it's what makes the world go around. So please refrain from implying that I ( or others on this board) are bigots. We may not share your views, but that does not mean we are intolerant.

Everyone here loves soccer. We should all be able to get along on that subject!

Lancaster FC and Phillyspur repped this.
  15. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And if they work with Dills all day, you have to worry about their state of mind;)

BuddhaWake, Dills and onehandedtyr repped this.
  16. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with the spirit of your post, but draw the line when someone's 'views' infringe on the rights of others. That is the critical distinction. When CFA funded multiple organizations to push an agenda that would surpress the rights of certain Americans, that pissed me off. So I appreciate your perspective and there you have mine. Also In no way did I imply that you or anyone on this board was a bigot, not sure where that came from.

amusiccale and R1PP repped this.
  17. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody want some waffle fries? My treat.

18. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was some restaurant by some big lake (Lake Norman, I think) in Charlotte while driving back from Greenville, SC. They had super crispy waffle fries loaded with buffalo sauce and blue cheese crumbles. This was some gooood stuff.

19. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We need to know what is Chick-Fil-A's position on the Jesus/Cheese Fries debate.

etsjay, Dills and urchin repped this.
  20. urchin

urchin SoB

Apr 13, 2011
    Bethlehem, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    That would potentially legitimize our gripe with them, and certainly mobilize the otherwise divided SOB base.

21. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Chick Fil A has Oreo milkshakes, Oreo is pro-gay marriage. They're falling apart in CFA.

22. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could ask them today, but they're not open on Sundays.

etsjay, BuddhaWake and Phillyspur repped this.
  23. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I spoke to people in the marketing department about this issue over the weekend. They blamed it on the "sponsorship" department. I think that this is a classic case of salespeople selling and then getting flak for selling to the "wrong" people. The salespeople then turn around and say, "Do you want me to sell or not?"

24. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
    no one puts a stamp of approval on these things? FYI I have never eaten at a chick-fil-a and then once the news started coming out it was easy for me to avoid it.

25. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it extremely dubious that someone in the marketing department is going to tell some random person that throwing the salesman under the bus is the way to go here. That person in marketing should fired for playing the blame game with customers unless he/she has explicit approval to dump this on a certain department from the higher ups. I highly Sack doubt is going to allow marketing to publicly crap all over the sales department just to be PC.