Philadelphia Union to Hold Troubling Chick-Fil-A Giveaway

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Tyr, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-Ho Blue

G-Ho Blue Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Love this. Let's throw an unofficial LGTBQ support party in the river end the same night as the CFA promotion. Nothing too outrageous or disruptive, just enough to show that we aren't crazy about what's happening.

2. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have sections 134-140 divided up into six groups, each holding up piece of colored construction paper (or similar) - R, O, Y, G, B, P.

G-Ho Blue, EmeraldDawn and celt1997 repped this.
  3. R1PP

R1PP Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Swarthmore, PA
    I say we package them up with Freddy Adu.

BuddhaWake repped this.
  4. MorganFreeman

MorganFreeman Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    and Robbie Rogers comes out today.

Maybe the fans can get him to come on June 5th.

http://robbierogers8.moonfruit.com/

BuddhaWake, riot71 and R1PP repped this.
  5. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he is not retiring because of the latest development. I wish he would reconsider that retirement.

6. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indigo gets the shaft EVERY SINGLE TIME. :cry:

amusiccale repped this.
  7. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Evidently so does violet!

8. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Purple, violet, indigo ... let's just call it "grape" or "eggplant".

9. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey

good to know you support the truly important things in life

10. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    hey!
    [​IMG]

Handsome Pete repped this.
  11. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a second thought, the Rainbow Tifo and a River End Gay Pride night would be good. However, I'd still encourage people to email the Union about their concerns with this promotion.

Billy South Philly repped this.
  12. G-Ho Blue

G-Ho Blue Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Come? We should sign him!

13. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would give him a standing O for this, even if he played for the Pink Cows. Sad he chose to retire as someone needs to stand up for this. I know it won't be easy as we still see players abused for their color and this may be worse. It will take someone with broad shoulders to do this.

14. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How appropriate we are having this discussion when the news breaks. I too hope he does not retire, I suspect he would get a lot of fan support, in the US at least.

15. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The amount of support he's receiving on the interwebs is utterly amazing.

16. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately we have seen recent examples of a few racist fans ruining the game. Both Altidore and Boatang handled it differently but each in a significant way. I would hate to see what might happen with an openly gay player. To many idiots out there will throw homophobic attacks their way. It will need to be a strong person to withstand that constant abuse.

17. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Chik fil a

18. kevin ryan

kevin ryan Member

Jan 30, 2010
    elkton md
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't anybody get it?? Controversy = money. Remember the days after the chick fila story broke and the lines were so long to get into them. Target does not donate to veterans and people tried to boycott them yet every time I go by target the lot is full. Walmart has huge controversy w it wages and health care but do people stop going there??

19. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's controversy. I think the opposite -- the vast majority of people in this country aren't activists and don't care about such issues. Chick-fil-a isn't really a controversial company at all to most Americans. At least that my impression, because they always seem to have long lines at the drive thru and lots of cars in the parking lots. Plus I've been to numerous parties using their chicken nugget trays and I've never heard people complain about it. There's one relatively near my work (about 10 minutes away) and people make runs to there and get food for one another and I've never heard anyone criticize someone else for patronizing it.

Furthermore, in regards to sports, I'd point out that Chick-fil-a is a major sponsor of the Baltimore Orioles (including their "kids' club") and even have a stand at the ballpark selling sandwiches. Somehow the team has endured.

I'm not diminishing anyone's beliefs and I encourage anyone who wants to protest or complain to the team to do so. I just think people overestimate how big of an issue this is.

riot71 and kevin ryan repped this.
  20. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you're not really answering my question. It may have been a big deal on the news not that long ago, but there are probably a large number of folks out there who aren't in tune with current events. And even if it was a big stink last year, it's not something that, in my experience, has really stuck in people's psyches. In a non-scientific experiment, I asked a handful of coworkers if they were aware of any controversies surrounding CFA. Of maybe 5-6 people, one knew something had gone down regarding the owners' religious beliefs (their words), but couldn't remember details; the others said they weren't aware of anything. So, either the news coverage wasn't to the extent as you claim, or I know a bunch of people that live under rocks.

kevin ryan repped this.
  21. geekgirl

geekgirl Member

Jun 15, 2011
    Sixth level of Hell
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's bothering that the Sack referred to the Union as a "brand"a opposed to using "team," "club," or "organization."

UnionDues repped this.
  22. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's all he ever refers to the Union as.

23. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Manchester United is now a brand too. This is modern sports.

There are going to be people who go to Chik-fil-a because of the causes it supports and some who won't step near one because they don't. Most people that go there do so because they make some tasty chicken. I don't think this is a company that's his behind anything. It's never been open on Sunday which I think is weird but their loss and their belief. The Flyers have also had a similar promotion with Chick-fil-a for a while and I know of dozens of local schools that franchises help with fundraising nights.

Personally, I don't share the same beliefs as the people running Chik-fil-a, but I do like the food. At the same time, I don't like many of the causes Ben and Jerry represented, but it wasn't going to stop me from enjoying a good product. The people swayed by the polarizing politics in any side of an issue are in a minority. If this is a good deal for the team, I can't get too bothered.

SideshowBob and aztec21bas repped this.
  24. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a period of weeks, this was a NATIONAL story at the epicenter of a very controversial issue. Don't forget this all occurred only a few months before the presidential election. People were literally camping out in protest. I made the mistake of showing up on the 'traditional marriage' support day and couldn't figure out why the line was out the door until I heard people talking about it. I don't think I am going out on a limb to suggest that the majority of adult Union supporters are aware of the controversy surrounding Chic Fil A. I can't wait for a competitor to rise up that makes chicken sandwiches that are as good or better, is actually open on sunday and doesn't support discrimination. 30 years from now, the treatment of this minority will be looked upon with such shame and disgust. It's an absolute disgrace that Robbie Rogers has to feel afraid to be who he is for 25 years. PS - waffle fries suck.

derek750 and riot71 repped this.
  25. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, 5-6 people isn't a good survey for the Philadelphia population.