Philadelphia Union to Hold Troubling Chick-Fil-A Giveaway

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Tyr, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly this is what I hate about "theme" nights and giveaways. We should all be going to the game to support the team. Not for a towel, or a picture, or a bobble head.

On top of that we now are going to infuse a highly divisive political discussion into, what should be a fun time for everyone.

Not sure what the Union can do about it now, though? If they remove the promotion they are 1) probably out of a substantial amount of money due to contracts, 2) will be seen as siding with one side of an issue on which they should be impartial (I only say this because sports and politics should not mix).

This promotion should have been nixed in the board room without any public visibility, saving this whole debate.

FWIW, I buy chicken sandwiches at CFA because they're good and are a scant amount better for me than what KFC, McDonald's, or BK would offer me. Also, FWIW, I fully support marriage equality and am very happy to support all LGBTQ causes and organizations. "It Gets Better," is my favorite, since I'm also a very big anti-bullying advocate.

In the end, I'm not going to choose this instance as the proverbial "Hill to die on," since I'm going to a soccer game, not a "theme night." I couldn't care less about who is kicking out the first ball, or who put a picture on my seat that I will, inevitably throw away, or who is giving me a coupon that I will, also, inevitably throw away without using.

2. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    but then what when the cows come out at half time and do the chicken dance and tell you to eat more chik'n. THEN WHAT? THEN WHAT?

christie3 repped this.
  3. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for you for being anti-bullying as bullying increases all other forms of hate to bad levels. If we can start to eliminate bullying then other things will improve as well. You are never going to remove unjustified hate from everybody but if they don't use that hate against someone it is at least a step in the right direction. It is a good a place as any to start

We milk the cows and everyone gets free milk too?

BuddhaWake repped this.
  4. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
    Rainbow flag tifo maybe?

Dulliwhig, Doop, G-Ho Blue and 4 others repped this.
  5. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be a fantastic way of protesting something like this. Chick Fil-A pays Union to promote their products, fans can throw away whatever coupon they receive or give to the homeless of Chester, River End has rainbow tifos, we fans cheer on the Union, Union wins the game (work with me here). I say that sounds like a win-win to me.

EmeraldDawn repped this.
  6. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's a local branch of Chick-Fil-A. Do you really think the owner is tuning in to it? The problem is money going to Chick-Fil-A, not them being at a match? The ti-fo wouldn't do much to address it.

As we all know, the Union only care about your wallet, so sending them an email about how it impacts your willingness to spend on them is likely the only real strength we have.

7. CallMeMed

CallMeMed Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's a specious argument. CFA is still knowingly funding discriminatory organizations whereas every other example you listed happened 40 years or more ago. Sins of the father and all that.

8. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what to tell you. I am going to patronize Chick Fil-A whether you like it or not. That is my right. Just as I respect your right not to patronize Chick Fil-A or you can take it further, stop going to Union games altogether. It is Union's right to promote sponsors as it is our right not to heed those promotions.

9. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
    It's funny..... im torn between rainbow tifo and empty stadium

10. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    The U better hope that more people feel like you than the rest of us, otherwise it will be a lot of money the Union will be losing.

11. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell me that to 6 million dead Jews. Chick Fil-A hasn't killed anyone. Significantly higher moral plane we are talking here. Marriage vs. Holocaust. If American companies weren't so complicit in the rise of Nazism, Hitler could have possibly not garnered the power necessary to institute his genocidal policies. If we are going to protest Chick Fil-A's stance on marriage, we damn sure should be protesting companies like VW, Exxon Mobil, General Electric, etc for facilitating the genocide of a religion.

12. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are correct. Union feels this is worth the brouhaha or else they wouldn't do this.

13. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
    But we can stop this NOW! So that maybe we dont have to say what could have been 40 years from now

DaMunk, derek750 and BuddhaWake repped this.
  14. CallMeMed

CallMeMed Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is absolutely your right, but if you had recently made public statements supporting the LGBTQ I would think it an odd choice. That's what is so disappointing here: the Union has been outspoken in their support of LGBTQ but now chooses to partner with a company which funds groups that discriminate. I'm not going to bash you for your rights, but I am going to express my disappointment to the Union.

15. Slaskwroclaw18

Jun 26, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If CFA only donated to groups who only advocated traditional marriages and did not discriminate in dialogue or action I would say that your clever editing would not be the same principle. There is difference between "I feel that a traditional marriage is the way to go" as opposed to saying "I would not serve somebody of the LGBT community".
    BUT in light of the quotes you recovered from the various groups it's clear that many of these groups do discriminate so it's inexcusable so I say let's Rainbow Tifo it up.

EmeraldDawn, CallMeMed and BuddhaWake repped this.
  16. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    don't forget the boy scouts and the cutting ties with them along with MLSsoccer so its hypocrisy for profit. That probably angers me more.

17. CallMeMed

CallMeMed Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First: Godwin's Law win.

Second: the point of protesting a company is to express your desire to have them stop a practice you find wrong in some way. In what way will protesting any of those companies today change what happened 70 years ago? I get what you're trying to say, it's just not a applicable point.

DaMunk, BuddhaWake and riot71 repped this.
  18. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious, if CFA was reported as making millions in donations to the Catholic church would that be ok? The Catholic Church spews a lot of nonsense against LBGTQ and protects pedophiles. A large portion of this country is against gay rights and most Christian based organizations are going to be linked in some way to more radical groups. CFA is proud of their Christian values and donates to charities that extoll similar values. Unfortunately for them, some of those charities also go towards a darker element when it comes to sexual orientation. I respect CFA for their reported openness in discussing with people what their stance is. I may not agree with them in all aspects but they are also not hiding from it either. They have in the past turned away from the openly radical groups. They still have work to do but since theirs is not based in hate it may be easier for them to do it then others.

While I think family values are important and I applaud their desire to strengthen that, I do however disagree with the notion that a family must be man and wife. I have seen better values instilled by two gay men or two lesbian women to their children then I have from a lot of man/woman families.

Also, to the suggestion about giving the coupon to homeless in Chester is great in theory but the closest CFA I believe is in Ridley Park on MacDade which may be a bit difficult for them to get to. Now donating them to a shelter where they might be able to work with CFA to use the coupons and get the food to those in need might be the better course.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  19. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hypothetical question - maybe even a bit rhetorical - but if you were to ask the average citizen walking down the street about what organizations CFA does/doesn't support, would they even know about their anti-LGBTQ stance?

20. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    70 years ago people I'm sure argued that Coca Cola is a business and that they should be able to sell to whomever they want and make the product they want. Doesn't matter what the buyer of the Coca Cola does. Coca Cola needs to worry about making money and nothing else and should do business with anyone they want to. fast forward 70 years and Coca Cola should not have sold Fanta or anything else to the enemies of the United States and its allies so we shouldn't sponsor them.

So Chick-fil-a can and should partner and deal with whomever it pleases and care about money since they are a business just like the Union are a business and should care about making money and that is it.

I guess I'll have to wait 70 years to show disdain.

btw, this is to be read in any color you would like. I just didn't want to make it like a x-mas tree.

21. CallMeMed

CallMeMed Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can only assume this question is directed at me (though perhaps I was just a convenient quote - I get that a lot ;)). I would prefer if my money stayed as far away from any religious organization as possible, but especially the Catholic church, but I understand that's not realistic. I also am a little wary of stirring up a ish storm here on that one!

22. CallMeMed

CallMeMed Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of years ago the answer surely would have been "no", but last year there was a time when you couldn't peruse any news outlet on television or the internet without it being argued one way or the other.

onehandedtyr repped this.
  23. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You were not the sole target of the question, just the latest to post (and also had the most direct, short statement so I didn't have to cut). I fully understand about stirring up a storm with religion, it is just my belief that CFA is taking mostly a religion based stance.

24. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ugh.......... so much ugh..........

A few questions:

Does the local Chick-Fil-A Franchisee Ownership group discriminate against anyone?
    This local ownership group is part of the community in the Philadelphia area, do they represent and adhere to the general core values of this greater community?

If the answers to the above questions are no & yes what is the issue? This a promotion with the LOCAL franchise, NOT the corporate entity.

Everyone has a right to their beliefs, and in our great nation everyone has a right to voice their opinions and beliefs. Now not everyone is going to agree all of the time. I believe that everyone in this world should have the right to live their life as they choose.

Chick-Fil-A is a very successful corporate restaurant. And like MANY corporations the folks running and leading the organization are cutthroat, outspoken, shrewd Buisness people (SHOCKER!). I'm fairly confident that many of the CEO's of large corporations in this world we live in have questionable morals and ethics...............power and money often times lead smart people to do & say immoral and unethical things. The main difference with them, is that the people running the corporation were dumb enough to open their mouth and put their foot in it. I'm sure there are other CEO's of large well known Corporations out there that agree with the beliefs of the Chick-Fil-A head honchos............they're just smart enough to keep their personal beliefs out of the public eye.

25. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stadium will not be empty. I'll be there, CFA or no CFA. You all can stay home if you feel that strongly about the issue. Support who and what you want. I will do the same. I SUPPORT THE UNION!

EmeraldDawn repped this.