Philadelphia Union Logo and Gear Leaked

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Rickster, May 6, 2009.

1. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Re: Philadelphia Union Gear for Sale

I'll give you two...

1. I grew up about 15 miles from where your stadium will be. I'm still a Philly fan in all other sports (except hockey, ******** the Flyers. They killed the NHL.) Thus I have some interest in the success of the Philly franchise and the team.

2. The snake was utilized by Nike as part of a National team ad campaign within the past few years. You can talk all you want about the original flag it came from, it doesn't change that fact. To utilize it at the club level now, it's a bit silly. And let's call a spade a spade, if it was a second NY team or another expansion team you'd be saying the same.

It's a poor decision. It's great Philly finally got a team. It's great they finally got a logo. But the lack of objectivity on this board is alarming. It's a terrible crest.

2. sccaflagger74

sccaflagger74 Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Media, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Umm, I think the screen shots didn't quite work out as I'd hoped. A bit small.

3. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm blown away... I'm not happy.

...I'm freaking ecstatic! I take back all the bitching and moaning about the delays, it was well worth it. This crest is more than I could've ever anticipated.

Dear Zolo, forgive my blasphemy! I shall never question you again!*

*For at least a couple months

4. ZiggyBear

ZiggyBear Member

Feb 2, 2008
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Love the colors, hate the snake :-(. I have a huge phobia of snakes and now my favorite team will be known for it. Sigh.

5. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

I suppose that if there's one flaw in the crest it's that the non-matching fonts in the crest look a bit off. It bugs my artistic sense a bit, but I have to say as someone who has been saying we needed the snake in the crest for months, I'm pretty damn happy with it.

What were the colors of the hat and scarf?

edit: heh, when I saw the scarf shot, I was instinctively expecting it to say "pittsburgh".

6. christie3

christie3 Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Rising Sun, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

im deff gettin the scarf

7. coys26

coys26 Member

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The picture's pretty small, and I'm no Latin scholar - what's the motto? I think I've already read that it means join or die...

8. FC Matt 90

FC Matt 90 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for the new wallpaper!

I love this logo, couldn't have turned out better IMO. And the color scheme is close enough that we could still bring the old SoB scarves to games without them looking completely out of place.

This definitely makes up for the fact that I can't go to the announcement Monday (stupid finals :mad:)

9. brandonplaysguitar

brandonplaysguitar New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Minneapolis, USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dig the logo, especially the snake (new nickname anyone?). I would have preferred a lighter blue, but perhaps I've just grown accustomed to the SoB's. Good luck with your team, cos you guys have damn well deserved it.

10. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hats were white, tshirts were white, hoodies were light gray. I put a picture of the scarves on my soccer club's website - here is the link for it:

http://www.motsoccer.com/

11. kba26

kba26 Member

Mar 17, 2008

Well the interior of the crest still has the light blue and gold, i would expect to see those as the uniform colors as well, with the dark blue outer ring making the crest stand out a little more on the uniform.

12. benc1010

benc1010 New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm lovin the snake, 13 stars, union. all symbols of the union that took place in 1776....perfect! Well done!

13. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wonder if there's anyway we could buy scarves before the announcement? That way, we'd be able to rock them out during the press conference.

Works for me, because I'd get my schwag faster. Works for them, as they'd have some good promo time for their new gear on prime time news (With us showing them off while we sing "Four Leaf Clover")

14. PHILLYUNITEDFLY

Jul 31, 2006
    Collegeville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The logo is great! Hey let's all get our fangs out! We're coming to poison all the MLS pretenders. We need some loud rattles too!:cool:

15. soccerman90

soccerman90 Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. USArsnl

USArsnl New Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm sure there were times the village people had three construction workers in them.

17. donttread22

donttread22 New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    The Best Chester, PA

great stuff! I'm really glad that they finally came out with it. Great work to the guy who made the desktop wallpaper. I'm using it now! Too bad I can't go to the announcement...next stop, MLS Draft Philly 2010!

18. USArsnl

USArsnl New Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What does the first part of the latin text mean?

"Perite" is brilliant. It means skilled, but is also a Latin interjection meaning roughly "F*ck off and go to hell."

However, I have no idea what "Invgite" means.

19. gregro

gregro New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    The Emerald City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I broke the story in Seattle. This will help create some buzz. I hope Bryan will do an interview with me. I'm a news person and this is news. :D

http://www.nextseasonsports.com/search/label/sounders

20. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow. Wow. I'm blown away. I absolutely love it. The colors look great, and the crest looks fantastic. It's simple, but still eye catching. The snake and the stars are great motifs to go with the name -- I actually was really hoping they'd use the "join or die" snake.

I'll be really pissed if this ends up a fraud.

21. USArsnl

USArsnl New Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It looks a lot like the current trend of badges in MLS. If it's a fake, it's an exceedingly good one.

22. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

this calls for a little duran duran!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tL5_W2Fkj0"]YouTube - Duran Duran : Union Of The Snake (TV 1984)[/ame]

there must be a rendition of this sung at all home matches, modified of course.

23. PhiChitown

PhiChitown New Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Never liked Vegas Gold (I think that's what that gold is called), but it makes it so when LA changes its look again, we can prey on the colors! :cool: But I love the crest, and the snake is fantastic! We have a good name, historic look, and regional colors! Can't help but love it, even if you didn't like soccer, you would rock this gear. Which is what the Phillies have in the region right now, maybe the Eagles, but no one else.

My score, 9 outta 10 stars, only missing the 10 because I don't like Vegas gold.

Can't wait to get the (blue) jersey!

haha

24. cbrown

cbrown New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm really liking the crest. (Wahoo, I got my tan color, unfortunately they couldn't fit in the F.C. as well, oh well.) I'd like to see that crest paired with a yellow-gold away jersey perhaps.

In response to an earlier post, if any other city tried using a snake we might criticize them for playing off of the USMNT. But this is Philadelphia, the place where Ben Franklin came up with the United Snake as a metaphor for our more perfect Union. It fits, imho.

25. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: LEAKED: Philadelphia Union Gear for Sale

from wiki:

The use of the eastern diamondback rattlesnake as a symbol of the American colonies can be traced back to the publications of Benjamin Franklin.