Philadelphia Union in the Media

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by cpurdom, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Rickster

Rickster Member

Dec 1, 1998
    Mondragon will be a nice pickup, but symmetry with Lee (and Halladay and Oswalt and Hamels)? I hope you're kidding.

I actually think Tannenwald has been one of the few people I've seen anywhere who has really dug into the reentry draft details and covered it in any depth.

2. bkpsu

bkpsu Member

Apr 3, 2000
    139P
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching MNF, just saw a commercial with Vinny Papale and the U, talking about the Crozer-Keystone medical center (official provider for the Union)...

3. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've been running that commercial for months.

4. ofeydofey

ofeydofey BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 6, 2010
    Cinnaminson
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

front page action!

5. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Great that the team got a front page spread, but wow I would assume his team mates are never going to let him hear the end of the picture with his dog.

6. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Half of which are old enough to be his father.

7. HazmatCorntail

May 28, 2010
    South 139
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody here watch Daily News Live?

I got in late, and was wondering if they'd discuss Pfeffer, even if only briefly. It doesn't look they did, or will, and I was kind of hoping they would have, since Smallwood was on and they did put the kid on the front cover....

I guess they really NEEDED another list from Big Daddy Graham.

Which is non-sports related.

Oh well.....

8. trzee

trzee Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Aston, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rookie of the Year-like locker room skits forthcoming. The only question is who plays:[​IMG]

... Mondragon?!
    [​IMG]

9. VixPix

VixPix Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Aston, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6abc Action News had a piece on Pfeffer today on their 6pm show. Showed him at school and then practicing at YSC.

10. frobisherthepenguin1

Jun 6, 2008
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  11. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. frobisherthepenguin1

Jun 6, 2008
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  13. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great commercial on 6abc tonight, spotted chapka, ventur, and corey in it. they played the doop song and at the end it said "are you ready to doop?" with a number for tickets

14. christie3

christie3 Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Rising Sun, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they have it up on facebook for those who didnt see it on tv

15. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, the DOOP song really caught my attention when I heard it coming from the TV in the other room :D

16. KevinKinkead

KevinKinkead New Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Look at the fact that the Flyers are in first place in the East, and they don't even get much time on sports radio or television in town.

I can tell you from experience that the producers running the show in town care about 1. the Eagles 2. the Phillies 3. everything else.

But I'm pretty sure everyone already knew that. I just think, that from a "marketing" standpoint, the local media is missing out on a new demographic by ignoring the sport.

We'll see what happens this summer.

Kevin K
    contributor - philadelphiaunion.com
    producer - CBS3 Eyewitness News

17. HazmatCorntail

May 28, 2010
    South 139
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know if anybody else caught it, but yesterday's Sunday Inquirer had a banner along the bottom of the front of the Sports section, asking "Are you ready to Doop?"

18. ofeydofey

ofeydofey BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 6, 2010
    Cinnaminson
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carlos Ruiz signing about to be on CSN sportsnite after this commercial break.

I also saw the Doop mini-commercial on ABC and CSN.

.... and it was a 15 second read that consisted of them mispronouncing his name and nickname and not really giving a shit about it what so ever.

19. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was plenty of Phillie's Ruiz b-roll leading up to it too. :p

20. alessandro2016

May 23, 2006
    Given your unique perspective on sports media, I'm curious if you think that Philadelphia media outlets could pull in more viewers if they reduced the amount of Eagles/Phillies talk and talked more about everything else (including the Union)? I would love it if there was more Union coverage, but is the risk of alienating fans of only the Eagles and Phillies worth the extra eyeballs associated with covering the other sports teams in the area?

21. KevinKinkead

KevinKinkead New Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    That was a total joke. The producer shoved it in there as a "kicker", likely as a joke.

Kevin K

22. bkpsu

bkpsu Member

Apr 3, 2000
    139P
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Union ad on 94WYSP this morning...DOOPed my way across the Platt bridge going to work...

23. KevinKinkead

KevinKinkead New Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    In a word, yes, I think all media outlets could "pull in" more viewers if they acknowledged the Union.

I think it's ridiculous that we'll spend two weeks in a row covering the Eagle's Defensive Coordinator search, but the Flyers and Sixers are playing well and they get minimal coverage. The Union make loads of off-season moves, and get no coverage.

Use the "pie" analogy. This is such a large media market, that there are more than enough pieces to go around. You could easily devote time to all of these sports, without cutting down on Eagles and Phillies coverage. In a 3 minute newscast, there's room enough for Eagles, Phillies, Flyers, Sixers, Union, and Temple/Nova. In a 30 minute sports show, there's plenty of time for ALL of those teams. And when the local television stations are airing 5+ hours of news each day, there's so much time to devote to other sports.

I'll tell you this, from personal experience - a lot of the people running the show in town think that soccer is a joke. They don't take it seriously, i.e. "soccer is gay". The people who make the decisions in the media are basically unchecked, and if they have a personal preference for something, that's what gets covered. There are legions of great producers, writers, editors, and reporters here, who are at the mercy of their bosses. And let's not even get into the corporate influence in the media.

But yes, I do believe you get more viewers by spending more time on other sports. And you can do it without alienating your Eagles and Phillies fans.

You're certainly not hurting yourself by adding a new demographic to your viewership. And there are a lot of female Union fans out there. Numbers show that more women watch television news, while men gravitate to online media.

I think at least adding the Union to our product would be appreciated by our mostly female audience.

Kevin K

24. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Newspapers, meanwhile, are so 20th Century (I say this unhappily, but with the reluctant realization that it's true).

25. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And clay tablets are so 1st Century. :)