Philadelphia Union in the Media

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by cpurdom, Aug 16, 2010.

1. HazmatCorntail

May 28, 2010
    South 139
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a shame that, in the aftermath of the team's biggest win, THIS is the publicity: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/l...s__but_some_chants_called_foul.html?viewAll=y

2. The Square FC

The Square FC New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. njndirish

njndirish Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Notre Dame, IN
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make a list of people that say MLS won't be here in 3 years and make a TIFO dedicated to them in 3 years.

BTW what is with 3 years, the same number pops up on the Kansas City and Portland comments.

4. cpurdom

cpurdom Member

Mar 3, 2008
    127 F
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It was the lifespan of both the Atoms and the Fury, if you don't count Los Atomos in 76. I have no idea why Kansas and Portland would say it, especially since they've both been around a while now. It's a hard number to disprove. It sounds dire without being so soon that you'll be immediately wrong, and if you keep repeating it every year you may eventually be right. Pre-Millinialists use the same trick.

5. DickyDunn

DickyDunn Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Eh, sorta...

It's the something's better than nothing factor. Fact of the matter remains that if someone wants news about football, they have to turn to the Internet because that's the only outlet available at any given moment.

Same as it ever was in the recent past.

FSC has its place. Celtic has Channel 67.

Instant scores, when you want them, online. Newspapers can't offer that (in print)

Most Americans still see football as a niche sport, played by poor Europeans and Hispanics. Low scoring, no fighting, falling down a lot. It's Americans' lousy I'mgonnawatchtheEaglesplayandhitmywifewhenshedoesn'tmakedinner attitudes that keep the game from growing from sea to shining sea.

We're the D&D players of the sporting world for most "real sports fans" in this country.

6. CallMeMed

CallMeMed Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. That is both funny and sad at the same time while explaining so much..

:eek:

7. Rickster

Rickster Member

Dec 1, 1998
    Last night's game would be a good one to keep out of the local media.

8. TerrierFC

TerrierFC New Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a fellow copyeditor, it pains me to point this one out. But the front page of today's (Tuesday) Philadelphia Daily News has a photo of Beckham, and a line that reads: "Union hosts his Galaxy tomorrow". ... Ooops. Someone forgot their calendar.

[​IMG]

9. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is quite typical of the Daily News. Last week it was a picture of Union goalie "Brad Knighton", who was making a save. The only problem with this fact, was that the goalie making the save, in an obvious stock picture, was laying on the ground with the back of his jersey displaying the name "Perk" very clearly. If I did my job this well, I'd be unemployed.

10. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Inquirer and Daily News have had so many layoffs in the last few years that they're trying to do it with smoke and mirrors these days. When I last worked at the Inquirer, which is almost five years ago, there were about 12 people in that sports department on an average night. Now, I've been told, there are fewer than half that, and yet they're still trying to do all the same fancy footwork that they did before. I'm surprised that more errors don't get through.

11. 42mutant

42mutant New Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Oakford, Pa.
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roger is too nice. Most reporters/editors know that soccer is non-stop almost and difficult to follow. Most would rather not try. I was among those absent from the sports department the night of the Barcelona game when the captions went south. But I was never taken up on my offer to answer the home phone and try to help with anything related to soccer, or my offers to write briefing papers about soccer events.

12. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with 42mutant that the powers that be at the Inquirer are not soccer fans. The main reason why Bob Ford stopped writing much about soccer a few years ago is that they wouldn't give him the space for it. My point was that despite surface appearances, over the years there have been (maybe still are) some people there who cared about soccer. However, as 42mutant points out, whether we had the power to do much about that is another question.

After the U.S. success in the 2002 World Cup, I offered to start compiling a weekly soccer calendar for the agate page of the sports section. They agreed, and I did this for a year or so. Eventually, I realized that it wasn't getting printed a lot of weeks. So, after a while, I stopped compiling it. I never said anything about it, and they never said anything to me about it. I don't think they noticed that I'd stopped.

The Inquirer has shown some signs of caring about soccer at times. By my off-the-top-of-the-head count, it has sent reporters to cover soccer games in 18 different countries over the last 30 years. For three different stretches, adding up to a total of about five years, they let me write a weekly soccer column. However, the Inquirer's interest in soccer has been very inconsistent. It probably peaked in the late 1990s.

In all those 30 years, it probably gave less space to soccer than it gives to the Eagles in an average month (or in some weeks).

13. Mtshark

Mtshark Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Luzern
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    From the Inquirer Recap... absolutly priceless:
    David Beckham, subbed out in the 76th minute, gave his jersey to a fan on the sideline who screamed like a preteen at a Jonas Brothers concert . . .

14. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was disgusting. He started walking to the bridge stand and everyone just went crazy screaming for his shirt. I wanted to vomit all over each and every one of them.

15. HODJA

HODJA New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    PPL Section 105
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Beckham love all over the non-RE was disgusting.

I ribbed a woman 2 rows in front of me who had been to games before but came to this one wearing a Beckham jersey. It was all in good fun, but I made sure to let her know that I wasn't joking, it's not OK. She put a union sweatshirt on over the Beckham top, but I let her know it was still unacceptable. Her man-partner let me know it was ok to throw things at her, though, so at least he gets it :p

16. Mtshark

Mtshark Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Luzern
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    There was a guy who tried to wear a LA Beckham jersey in 134 I had fun watching security make him take it off

17. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea what set this off, but there was a fight in 111 last night involving a shirtless gorilla who may have been wearing a Beckham shirt at some point. Security handled it before I had a chance to see what was going on unfortunately.

18. ofeydofey

ofeydofey BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 6, 2010
    Cinnaminson
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that can't be true, 111 isn't in the river end.

19. latestmonkey

latestmonkey New Member

Jun 28, 2010
    You know for all the bad press about YSA, that's the first fight i've heard about at PPL park. Now there might have been others but I've never seen or heard of another one. THat's gotta be some sort of record.

dude just stfu with your RE martyrdom. Feel persecuted? Nobody gives a shit.

20. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was worse was the amount of River Enders/people who swarmed the RE. I was cracking jokes about the people on the Camera side stands who were shrieking over him, and had people laughing so i figured they were on our side. then, when i started waving my flag for the U as they were coming back towards us, everyone around me was like, "good idea! get [Beckham]'s attention" and i was just like, what the frack

also, schmucks in Union scarves and hats, but wearing Gals jerseys, or Beckham/Landy shirts from their European teams.

21. ofeydofey

Jan 6, 2010
    Cinnaminson
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    laugh once in your life, It will make you feel better

22. latestmonkey

latestmonkey New Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Let me know when you say something funny.

"oh woe is us... nobody loves the RE.... wahhh"

23. ofeydofey

Jan 6, 2010
    Cinnaminson
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who said that?

Stop taking yourself so seriously broseph, no one cares about your internet muscles.

24. latestmonkey

latestmonkey New Member

Jun 28, 2010
    oh course you would say broseph. of course you would.

Good luck with life kid, sounds like you really need it.

25. HODJA

HODJA New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    PPL Section 105
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    now now kids, play nice
    :rolleyes:

so, about Union in the Media, anyone read anything interestingly on-topic recently?
    :D