Philadelphia Union - 2014 Roster

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Zman Gunner, Jan 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No - the unknown variable in the equation is how much allocation $ were used to buy down salary budget hits for certain players or if the team is covering alumni salary costs/other teams covering Union player salaries. In Maidana's case, they did not use allocation $ as a buy down or else he would not be a DP. For Nogueira, they did a buy down as his salary plus amortized transfer fee exceed the $388K DP level yet he is not a DP. A buy down must be at least $150k in allocation funds so he is likely hitting the salary budget at a lower amount (at least $50K) than his actual salary. Edu is another one who may have allocation $ affecting his salary budget impact. Until MLS releases the allocation $ in play, the salary and comp data gives reasonable direction and magnitude of a team and its salary budget situation, there are too many undisclosed other factors to use the data as rock solid financials.

2. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Is there a reason they would have used allocation money for Edu when he is a DP anyway?

3. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By using MLS Monopoly money in the form of allocation $, they could have less actual $$ out of Union owners pockets to cover all of the Edu costs.

4. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Since again, AM is MLSmoola, you're getting Edu with the other 18 "operators" kicking in to finance it, vs just Shallow Pockets Sugarman.

5. uncleo

uncleo Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Downingtown, pa
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are the chances that Carlos Valdes returns after the WC???

6. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
  7. CallMeMed

CallMeMed Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

8. uncleo

uncleo Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Downingtown, pa
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why do you think that is?

9. Bart1986

Bart1986 Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    If he's not coming back, the Union have a problem. What I saw from Berry and Wheeler was way too mediocre. Does somebody knows what Ethan White is capable of ?

Also, why did they let go Parke?? If not excellent, he was an OK defender in MLS and was from Pennsylvania; seeing how the Union's defence now lacks leadership, I have all the troubles in the world understanding why they made that deal. He wanted out?

10. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Personal issues."

Which could be true. But I tend to think "personal issues" is PR speak for "issues with management." As a member of the Nexus, this is to be expected.

Ascalz, UnionDues, LuckyStriker and 2 others repped this.
  11. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, why the hell not take Valdes after the WC break?

uncleo repped this.
  12. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He hates Hackworth....read that in read if you want ;)

13. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We technically got Maurice Edu in return. I think it was worth jettisoning Parke to get that deal done.

aztec21bas, jaykoz3, Doop and 1 other person repped this.
  14. Bart1986

Bart1986 Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    How did we got Edu back with that trade? Is this just a salary thing? Because if it is, some other players should have been moved instead of Parke who was a great influence on the team. Carroll, Daniel, Cruz... just pick anyone on the roster except Okugo and McMath.

Moving Parke at this key position without having a solid backup is just careless. But, hey, maybe Berry will step up. I don't like what I've seen from him so far, but I haven't seen enough to make a definitive opinion on him. Also, I don't believe in Wheeler; he could be okay, but his first pass ability is just awfull for a center back.

15. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe it moved the Union to the top of re-entry order (or whatever clever name MLS has for it). So they traded Parke to be first in line to grab Edu on his return.

But someone with actual knowledge of the overly complex MLS workings might be able to explain better.

16. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    We dealt Jeff Parke and the sixth spot in the allocation order for Ethan "Where's Waldo" White and the top spot in the allocation order. This allowed the Union (&The MLS) to select Let go and Let Mo (hat tip to ericlfd for that).

So, Dills assertion it was Parke for Edu and it's a freaking steal is accurate.

ericlfd and Handsome Pete repped this.
  17. Bart1986

Bart1986 Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Thanks for the precision, MLS is so complicated :)

Well, if Parke got us Edu, sounds indeed like a steal. Doesn't resolves the center back issue of the Union roster though.

18. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Correct, our Peter from Paul strategery has littered our short team history.
    This team hasn't recovered from the Jordan Harvey for magic beans trade. The timing of our deals are always head scratchers too, but that could be part of the mystical nature of the MLS and single organism structure. I get the we got a player for Jack instead of nothing, just not sure we couldn't have made another deal ahead of time to shore it up first. We have so many mediocre midfielders, hopefully we can deal one,draft picks, magic beans, our head coach, for a mediocre striker.

lopezzzz and Handsome Pete repped this.
  19. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love this. Needs to be a Tifo.

20. allgo

allgo Member

Jun 6, 2011
    move the defense up top and the strikers to back...everyone would be playing in the right position....

21. Boyertown2003

Boyertown2003 Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  23. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wanted to chime in with my thoughts on the deal thus far(not sure if this is the place for it).

Long term, it seems Philly really won this deal by a mile. Ethan White is inconsistent but shows a lot of promise and Edu should be with Philly for years to come. Not gonna lie though, Jeff Parke is a rock for us right now, moreso than I think most DC fans could have imagined. It would be interesting to see if Hackworth had any other players instead of Parke that he could've traded.

Dills repped this.
  24. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad he hasn't seen the field yet. Almost came in as a sub one game though.
    We can only hope that the team buys out his loan deal after the season.

25. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may be true what you said about Ethan White, but he can't even get on the field and it's not clear why. The options ahead of him don't seem to be any better so it's a surprise to a lot of us that he hasn't even gotten a sniff.

Edu is a loan and will likely be gone at the end of this year.