Philadelphia Union - 2014 Roster

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Zman Gunner, Jan 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shame. It's very entertaining. How else are you going to know what Katie made Jack for dinner, why Hannah changed her hair color (and what Sheannon thinks about it) and what days Kendall has off so she can spend time with Seba?

2. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It puts the lotion in the basket.

aztec21bas and Handsome Pete repped this.
  3. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no stalking. dudes walk off right in front of me

:)

4. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Now if THEY were pictured in the bath, I could be persuaded.

Dills repped this.
  5. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just watching CSN Philly's morning highlights of the Union game and the hostess literally said that new signing "Arsène Wenger" was not available due to a red card suspension. But, right now on the other channel he is coaching on the sidelines in the city of Liverpool--I think that's the real reason why he was unavailable yesterday.

:whistling:

6. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #307 Zman Gunner, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/news/2014/04/union-part-ways-midfielder-keon-daniel

Union and Keon mutually terminate his contract. Union should still take the salary budget hit since it is done after the March roster compliance date and more importantly as his contract was likely guaranteed. It does free up an international roster spot for another benchwarmer to continue the tradition of Gilberto, Kleberson, Ekra, Nikolov, Torres, Juan D Gonzalez, Martinez, Lopez, Holder, Perlaza, Thomas, etc. now currently being held by Blake, Ribeiro and Hernandez.:rolleyes:

UnionDues, Handsome Pete and ScottyMac26 repped this.
  7. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why couldn't the Keon situation get handled by the front office before the compliance deadline? If you're just going to cut a player, why wait until after?

8. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because it's the Union?

9. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His contract was likely guaranteed for the season so terminating his contract before or after the March date probably did not matter in terms of taking a salary cap budget hit for his $. The question is if they knew he was not in their plans for 2014 (which sure seems the case given his minimal playing time in pre-season), could they have traded him in the pre-season for minimal consideration (i.e. 4th round draft pick) just to get the salary off the books? Given the fact that he was a 2013 starter and not an unused reserve, a team may have taken them up on such an offer just for depth purposes despite his lack of impressive stats.

10. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figure that's why Hack & Co. were hyping up Keon's skillset so much last season, to try and get as much in return for him as they could.

That's also assuming the rest of the league couldn't watch a goddam game tape or two.

ScottyMac26 repped this.
  11. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keon leaves and the Union gets nothing in return. Pretty standard fare for this team.

12. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    There are a lot of "Most" gone from here. "the most talented", the "most MLS ready", etc. etc.

13. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What else would you expect we get for him?

And I guess Ethan White/DCU's top allocation spot in return for Jeff Parke is "nothing".

Richard Saunders and Amscray repped this.
  14. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I had frankly forgotten that Keon was still on the team until this news broke. At least White makes the 18.

15. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    riiiiiinnnnnggg
    "Hello, this is Dom"
    "Dom! Buddayyy! How's things?"
    "What do you want Hack, isn't there a U-12 team you could be scouting?"
    "For sure, for sure, listen, in a jam, we're kinda capped out apparently, and I was wondering if you'd be up for sayyyy, a supplemental pick in 2016 for a capped international."
    "What?! You ditched Kleberson, we all laughe...wait a second. You mean Keon. ******** off."
    "Noooo, but yeah for sure, even I know Blake an Edu have value so how abou...click.......hello?"

riiinnngg
    "This is Olsen"
    "Benny!! My man. How's life in DC? Have I ever told you how much I respect you as a coach and a human being?"
    "Really John? Gosh thanks. Cause I've been getting blasted for that Parke deal down here. "
    "Noooo, for sure, that was a good deal for both teams. You got a lot of veteran savvy. I'm in a bit of a jam with an international player, just cant seem to find room and I'm looking to score some MLS magic beans Al O'Cayshun, can you feel me?"
    "Wait...Keon? Dude, we play you. You know that right? Like, we've seen him, you know, on the field, in kit, jah dreads flowin'. No way"
    click

"Hey Keon...yeah, we're not feeling you bro. Gotta term the contract for sure. No, it's definitely you, not us."

UnionDues and BuddhaWake repped this.
  16. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds reasonable. Perhaps they held onto him this long in hopes for a trade. When it became apparent that all options were exhausted I suppose the only logical thing to do was allow him to move on?

17. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm annoyed at this.

Last year, he was played as a creative midfielder, which he clearly as not. However, he played well at LM under Nowak. He tracks back more than any other wide player we have, and his bread and butter was short, composed passes.

I'd much rather see him come on in the 65th-70th minute than Bone, Cruz, or Hoppe.

At worst, he was cheap, left-footed depth. Wasn't he making under $90k?

18. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Last year he was often called out as a poor midfielder in a poor midfield on the 14th best team in a 19 team league. Mostly, because, he was. We'll always have the visa issues of 2011, c'est la vie Keon.

19. ppn512

ppn512 New Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Might be able to sign a new international player with KEon's exit.

20. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm all for getting an international striker who would fit in the 4-2-3-1 formation we seem hell bent on sticking with. Realistically, it should be possible to find some Argentine/Brazilian forward for $200K that could help the team.

21. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, but if the team is still taking a hit for Keon's salary (after roster compliance deadline), then the cap room may not be there. But honestly, who knows?

22. Bart1986

Bart1986 Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I've been following the Union for a long time, nearly since it's creation I believe, but I didn't watch a lot of game this past year. Lost track a little bit and now I see how the roster evolved and I'd like to post some of my feelings about it.

GK: McMath looks like he continues to improve and it seems he can become a very good GK in this league. You might argue he already is. I don't know Blake, but being a year older than McMath, I expect it's gonna be tough for him to get the spot in the starting 11.

Defence: Lot of depth, every player look like they can contribute (White, Berry, even Wheeler who impressed me a lot on his last stretch of games in this position).

Midfield: I'm french so I'm pleased to see Nogueira playing for the Union. He was a solid midfielder in the French Ligue 1 and is in his prime as he's only 26. With Edu and Carrol, it looks quite impressive. I also always like Le Toux, wherever on the field he's playing. I don't much about Maidana so I'll wait to see more of him.

Attack: This is the part that needs to improve. I actually like the McInerney trade, I think it's going in the good direction. With Hackworth's system, it just wasn't a fit. He wasn't enough physically strong to play as the lone striker, and his lack of technic skills and activity made difficult for him to play on the wing. It looks like Wenger, even if he'll score less goals, he's a better fit. Also, with Keon gone, I expect a move to get a real striker now, because Casey he's not getting younger.

Excited to see what happens next.

PS: on a side note, the team I support in France have now a US national: Alejandro Bedoya. He looks like a good player, with a surprisingly good aerial ability for a guy of his height. We just have some trouble to determine where on the field is his better suited (right winger, central attacking midfielder, striker?) He's having an OK season thought (27 games - 5 goals).

23. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's obvious you didn't watch that much of last year if you have faith in Hack and his "system."

I don't see how a striker who scores less is a good fit when none of our mids are goalscorers. Are we just going to rely on corners?

UnionDues and BuddhaWake repped this.
  24. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you boil down the striker's role to just goals tallied, then maybe Wenger isn't an upgrade. But there is a range of skills and sub-roles within the striker position. Despite Hack's claim that this is a like-for-like swap, any semi-knowledgeable fan should know it's not. Jack is not a hold-up player, Andrew is not a poacher. Jack was the number 1 striker on this team, Andrew was playing in Di Vaio's shadow.

Maybe not apples and oranges, but more like Gala and Granny Smith. Comparisons can be made, but until we see how these guys play with their new teams after a few games, there's nothing substantial to base the comparison on.
    Leo, Vincent, Maurice, and Sebastien would politely disagree.

Starpork and jaykoz3 repped this.