Petraeus Resigns

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Minnman, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Is their really conspiracy theory talk? Because Dyvel's link goes to satirist Andy Borowitz's New Yorker blog.

2. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So didn't this Benghazi thing just happen a few weeks ago?

Man, the Republicans must really think that Dems are super-duper-smart what with EmbryoObama prenatally arranging to be born in the US instead of Kenya (or Indonesia) and Petraeus having the foresight to start an affair to protect himself from testifying in Congress about something that wasn't going to happen for months!

Maybe Nate Silver is a witch after all.

Honestly, what are those people smoking?

Edit: Never mind. Boy is my face red.

3. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    What exactly is the cover-up they're all shrieking and howling about anyway?

4. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Shirley, anybody could see that coming-- Borowitz was just trying for first page...

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  5. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I'm not seeing the Petraeus harassing his ex-mistress thing repeated, but WSJ is reporting:

The federal agent who started the investigation to protect Petraeus' friend from Petraeus' mistress was kicked off the case by his superiors because he was sending shirtless pictures of himself to Petraeus' friend (who Petraeus' mistress thought was touching Petraeus under the table).

So yeah, Junior High with security clearances. We're basically doomed...

Meanwhile Petraeus' mistress has her own theories about Benghazi, see the article.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324439804578115410189757452.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet

6. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Only the National Enquirer can get to the bottom of this story.

Dyvel repped this.
  7. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I just saw a report that the FBI just searched Paula's house. Is this true? 'Cause if it is, all bets are off.

8. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    WSJ reporting the agent in question sent Ms. Kelly some shirtless pics.

Who casually brings non-life-threatening e-mails to the FBI and has the case even taken, much less pursued all the way up the chain? Preposterous.

Prediction: When all the dust settles, Petraeus isn't going to be the only one out of a job, a couple people at the FBI will be joining him, and Broadwell isn't going to be the only married woman found to have slept with a general.

9. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    1:40

Dr. Wankler and Dyvel repped this.
  10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I'm really having trouble giving a damn about any of this.

Am I missing something?

11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    The obsession with the Clenis got old quick. So is this obsession with the Petrenis. Other than some security issues and not informing VIPs in govt. promptly, I don't see the story here.

12. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Not on a world-historical level, no.

What I find so fascinating is that both of these women have successful doctor husbands, multiple children, million-dollar-plus homes, and one effectively stalked a general across the other side of the planet until she brought him down as sexual and emotional prey, and the other spends her time as a "social liaison" to various generals in an unpaid position while driving around in her Mercedes and revealing dresses.

Both husbands are eunuchs who in any other era, as breadwinners, would have the power in the relationship, but not anymore. I've seen this with some friends--they work themselves to death, are fat, have health problems, while their wives do Pilates, have help look after the kids and are "artists."

These guys either need to get with the 21st century and tell their wives to start working, suffering, and bringing in the cash on an equal basis, OR they need a massive IV drip of Don Draper: Stat.

Nothing disgusts me as much as "soft" male breadwinners. These are spineless guys being used like two-bit crack whores by their "trophy" wives.

13. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That the Petraeous scandal is part of a coverup to deflect criticism for the President for his handling of the US Mission murders in Libya. His resignation would thwart the revelation of the truth and would cover up the CIA's involvement or lack thereof in Benghazi.

Just bat shit crazy conspiracy thinking here.

14. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Do you really dislike women as much as this post seems to indicate?

flowergirl and Ismitje repped this.
  15. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The cool thing is, you can go two ways on the conspiracy theory. It's either trumped up to distract us from Benghazi or it was kept hush hush until last week to ensure Obama was reelected.

16. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honey-child, how could you not know?[​IMG]

17. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    And now the current Commander of US and NATO troops in Afghaistan has thousands of "potentially inappropriate" emails with the target of the mistresses emails per WAPO. Whether people care or not this is a remarkable clusterfck including the highest levels of the military and intelligence, where the victim and first investigator are doing the same things as the ones who are being brought down.

18. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    Buncha high-level Afghan army officers are all: "Yo, homie, the burkha thing make a little more sense now?"

Deep Wilcox repped this.
  19. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Yep--called it upthread! Get the popcorn.

20. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    But, deep down inside, there was a need, a yearning, that cried out to be filled ...
    https://www.google.com/search?q=romance novel covers&hl=en&tbo=u&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&rlz=1I7ADFA_en&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=VVaiUIidOIfh0gGLrYDwDg&ved=0CDoQsAQ&biw=1093&bih=479

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4250.I_Love_A_Man_In_Uniform

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,123721,00.html

“A woman has to live her life, or live to repent not having lived it.”
    Sarcasm? Or, do you prefer men to be slingin' rock & bustin' caps, instead of graduating medical school, working hard as physicians and mating with female military officers?

21. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Hyperbole about "nothing disgusting me more", obviously there are very many things in life that do--but watching this unfold, you can't help but wonder what sort of blinders this Dr. Kelley has on. He's obviously a smart guy, a surgeon, and yet a complete doormat and a tool. Ditto the Broadwell husband.

Maybe last century did breed a lot of otherwise "successful" young husbands who were this credulous and naive, but as far as national scandals go, I don't recall many.

It's relatively new--culturally speaking--when the "victims" of adultery are young, rich male doctors raking in good money and providing for their families in million-dollar homes.

Which is why I brought up Kissinger and "power" as the ultimate aphrodisiac, because what else could explain ditching your family to track old-man Petraeus to the ends of the earth or 20,000 pages of sordid e-mail correspondence with Gen. Allen?

22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I dunno, even in the mid-70s if a socialite said "I f'd Henry Kissinger" and not Warren Beatty or Robert Plant, most other women would probably have been repulsed or possibly have vomited. Hell, Christopher Hitchens would've stabbed her in the eye. I get the quote but there's still something completely wrong with broads like Broadwell. Monica Lewinsky was young, dumb and full of ___ so I'd give her a pass. Broadwell's just a wacko.

Barbara repped this.
  23. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Somehow that seems to me to be saying that Petraeus is okay for waiting for something to come to him, but Broadwell is bad for going after what she wanted. Maybe I'm missing something?:(

And we have no way of knowing the realities of Broadwell's marriage-- for all we know she's a beard...

Of course the whole thing is pretty low on style points, but that standard is aesthetic more than moral (assuming no security breach actually took place.)

24. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. Women didn't cheat on men before the last century.

But think about it, without email, this story really goes nowhere. It sounds like it's sketchy emails that are nailing these people.

Really? On what do you base this little pearl of wisdom?

This is true; there are some women who are drawn to powerful men. However, that's not new.

You need to read some history and maybe some literature published before 1900.