Pepe: Calmer than a boy from the beaches of Maceio...oh wait!

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by Roy Da Silva, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    :eek:

2. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    What's wrong? He isn't fast? I actually only noticed how fast he is because the commentators kept talking about it.

3. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  4. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    I strongly disagree. His mobility is quite proper of a CB and because of that, he often has a slow reaction in getting to the ball.

Still good though. It's a toss between him and D. Carriço.

5. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    He will make it, return time is dependent on rehab and we know that he is the type to tough it out and put in the hard yards that is required to have a speedy return. If this was any other player id say not likely but pepe plays with his heart on his sleeve and will suprise everyone at the world cup.

6. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    I agree. Also, he's relatively young, which greatly speeds recovery. He'll be highly motivated. All these auger well. As somebody said somewhere else, his size in MF will be greatly missed, especially against a team like Brasil which scores a lot on set play, so let's hope he's back at the very least as a DM option off the bench.

7. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
  8. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It takes 6 months to rehab. Because you have to build up strength slowly or risk re-injuring. While I think Pepe can be running in June I don't think Pepe can be 100% match fit at all until July.

But Pepe does have access to those hyperbolic oxygen chambers so Sleeping in those every night could help.

Either way Pedro Mendes is more then suitable for the role. Get Danny in there and we have a decent squad save for LB.

9. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Even if he somehow manages to be physically fit to play in time, why would we play someone that has not played in such a long time. I would much rather play someone that is game shape and sharp.

10. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Hyperbaric chambers do nothing its been proven, painfull and aggressive rehab will do the job.
    He will be back in time but Pele has played beautifully the last 2 games for Valla so he could be a serious option.

11. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    They get rid of Hangovers pretty quick.

12. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Not to mention hemorrhoids. :)

13. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Are you serious? I haven't watched him at all this season... Is he starting on a regular basis now? And more importantly is he playing well? I am going to try and watch him this week. One of his main problems was that he hold onto the ball in the midfield to long, and doesn't distribute it fast enough to the attacking players.

14. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Pele was doing great at Inter until JM took over the coaching , haven't seen any of his games since.
    Pedro Mendes might be a great option if fully fit again.

I just love the midfield goals he's capable of:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bscMTE0cg8g"]YouTube- Golo de Pedro Mendes do meio-campo[/ame]

15. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Yeah he came back from injury and they had 2 good results against Sevilla and malaga in the games he started, to be honest he was a major reason why!!

16. MTL_Gambler

MTL_Gambler New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    No one can replace Pepe like Valdano said!!! He is a workhorse , always in the thick of things,has great leadership skills,has intensity. not many players can boast those qualities Pepe always professed his love for Portugal, therefore in my book he is portuguese. If he actually does play in the WC that will show everyone his passion to play for Portugal but hopefully if he does he is top shape or else we do have suitable replacements but not at his level!!

17. castanha

castanha New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    I agree completely. Pepe always sings the hino, unlike our other two transplants. Pepe is Portuguese. Although I must admit that Deco, and even Liedson in his limited time, always give 100%.

As much as I want him back, Pepe's career is more important than WC glory. If he's not near 100%, he shouldn't play.

18. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    My take on PEPE.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zJKkdvX36A"]Pepe | The Best CB in Espanha! - YouTube[/ame]