Pepe: Calmer than a boy from the beaches of Maceio...oh wait!

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by Roy Da Silva, Nov 28, 2006.

1. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Not really, if I was given the chance I would have played for the USA. :) Unfortunately the college players stopped being an option .

2. wtf_SCOLARI!!

wtf_SCOLARI!! Member

Nov 21, 2007
    sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to say.

3. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I'm an American citizen, but I was born in Portugal.

4. wtf_SCOLARI!!

wtf_SCOLARI!! Member

Nov 21, 2007
    gotchya, Well I'm born in Canada but I support Portugal as it's my favorite national team. If I had a career in professional soccer I would choose to play for Canada, you know why? Cuz I was BORN here.

5. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    That's fine, that's your choice, but it doesn't make mine any less valuable if I was given the chance to play for the US and would chose to do so.

6. Panther1903

Panther1903 Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Mississauga, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

....I think you missed the irony (not to mention humour) of the post....;)

7. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Did he play already?

8. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    yes, and played very well.

9. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    well if you were a player, and were good enough to have a starting position on the Portuguese national team wouldn't you play for Portugal instead of Canada?

if I was good enuf to play for Portugal , i would play for them over canada even though im born in canada. first of all its better for your career, more prestigious tournaments like EURO and more world cup chances when Canada never qualifies or anything.

10. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I would hold Portugal in my heart and rep Portugal. But if I was born in Canada, and was predominantly developed in Canada, I am playing for Canada.

11. wtf_SCOLARI!!

wtf_SCOLARI!! Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Like I said, as much as I love the Portuguese national team with all my heart I would still play for Canada cuz I'm one of those crazy people that think that you are where you're born :rolleyes:

12. UltraViseu

UltraViseu Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Strong Island
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    LoL

13. QuaresmaRonaldo

QuaresmaRonaldo New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    I'm not sure what Scolari's going to do if Andrade returns before expected [we've seen players come back from life-threatening injuries], Bruno Alves [is emerging as a NT calibre CB), and Meira [Who has stepped in when called upon for the NT every single time - see WC 06'], with PEPE getting citizenship.

If Andrade comes back, I'm at a total loss as to who should be the 2nd and 3rd options behind Carvalho at CB.

WHo do you guys think should be the 2nd option? Andrade or Pepe? and 3rd option? Bruno Alves, Meira?

14. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well. Andrade never returned back to his Euro 2004 form. He put on weight and lost his speed. His calmness and intelligence was still there. Being injured once more will do him no favors I am sure...

Alves while good and I do like him(extremely good in the air), Andrade is still better I believe. However, Meira as you stated has proved himself on more then one occasion...Pepe has been playing outstanding for Real Madrid, I would like to see more of him for Portugal before I stick him ahead of Andrade...however, he is definitely more athletic then Andrade.

15. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    Carvalho-Pepe

Even if Andrade by the miracle of Allah recovers his form.

We wont take 4 centrebacks i dont think.

Now we have 4 top quality wingers, we cant accomodate 4 centrebacks and 6 midfielders unless we can take only 2 goalies or 2 strikers or 3 fullbacks.

It will be

Carvalho
    Pepe
    Meira/Andrade/Alves

Veloso as dmid can play centreback, although hes very average there, and leftback, so it solves that dilemna.

Andrade if fully fit will be easily chosen ahead of meira and alves, but i have my doubts.

16. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It really is going to be between Meira and Andrade then. But I can see Scolari taking them both.

17. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    Yah, I can see scolari only taking 5 midfielders, due to no true quality playmaker in reserve of Deco and oneof the wingers could be deployed in that free role.

I hope carlos martins gets his chance and proves himself.

Anyways, our defence has never been this good.

In Euro 2000 we were the opposite.

Superb options in midfield, but no one was quite sure about our fullbacks and centreback depth outside of couto and jorge costa..even when we played germany in that meaningless game couto and costa started, as the other centrebacks were just too shitty:D

18. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  19. O_Glorioso

O_Glorioso New Member

Dec 18, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yea, I mean Andrade, Carvalho and Pepe. That's 3 CBs out for us. Miguel has also been prone to injury, but right now it's more that he's out of form. The only bright side is that these injuries are occurring now rather than in May. I'm sure Carvalho will be okay, but I'm nervous about Pepe.

20. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah but look at this lately. Carvalho, Pepe, Andrade, I believe Ferreira was injured recently as well. Miguel appears to always get injured during tournaments. Caniera....

21. O_Glorioso

O_Glorioso New Member

Dec 18, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It will be really disappointing if we can't compete at Euro with our team at full strength after going through qualification at anything but full strength.

22. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    ?...I saw Carvalho playing for Chelsea yesterday at night against Everton and he looked perfectly fine to me.

23. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I was just stating people who have been injured this season.

24. O_Glorioso

O_Glorioso New Member

Dec 18, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I was just talking about injuries to the defense. Carvalho was out all of September and then missed some of October and November. I think he'll be alright though as long as the pattern doesn't continue. He also missed out late last season to injury. He's been back in the line-up the past couple of matches.

25. tribalsun10

tribalsun10 New Member

Jan 22, 2008
    if everyone is healthy and game fit, and i pray they are, a back line of miguel, pepe, carvalho, bosingwa, looks incredibly strong. not to forget we're pretty deep on the bench with meira, alves, andrade, ferreira, caneira if needed.

now, if we can only get our team game going, we have enough talent to do better then euro 04.