Pepe: Calmer than a boy from the beaches of Maceio...oh wait!

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by Roy Da Silva, Nov 28, 2006.

1. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    When i saw the dedication Pepe had agaisnt Finland
    i saw all i needed to see. The boy fought hard and harder
    than some of the pure bloods such as maniche or caneira
    or even Gomes.

He fought hard for the jersey but not a s much as the
    best CB in the world Ric Carvalho.

Da Costa will be in the squad he will be better than all
    of them he is a gun.

2. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    After euro 2004 i was worried in who would replace Carvalho, but not now.

after 2008/possibly 2010 if carvalho doesnt sucumb to old age our centrebacks will be

Pepe-Da Costa

********ing superb:D

3. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    It was his first game, take it he was very good, but let time be the judgment of his dedication.

4. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He literally chose Portugal over Brasil. Seems dedicated enough.

5. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Yeah...there were no "cap me or I play for Portugal" ultimatums like with Deco. He had the option to play for both and he chose Portugal.

6. UltraViseu

UltraViseu Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Strong Island
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Can we change this thread title to Kepler Laveran Lima Ferreira O Bicho de Maceio. That's what I baptized him as.

7. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nah, I like the one we are currently using.

8. jfaria

jfaria New Member

Mar 24, 2007
    So have Portugal plans to produce their own players, or you will continue to still players from others countries?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No stealing, he decided to represent Portugal over Brasil. He probably put a good deal of thought into his decision. A couple of factors probably influence him. He started his pro career in Maritimo, then went to Porto. He married a Portuguese women...

Its not like we are lacking in that areas as well. We have some of the best CB's in the world.

Also, next time you you come into a thread and create a post that will ultimately conclude in confrontation, you will be given an infraction.

10. jfaria

jfaria New Member

Mar 24, 2007

Talvez eu nem durma a noite com medo :rolleyes: . O fato é que este já é o 4º brasileiro que decide "representar" Portugal, sem falar em outros de diferentes nações. Assim é muito fácil montar uma seleção. Que eu saiba seleção nacional é o conjunto de melhores jogadores que o país produziu.

A Argentina pode passar 20 anos sem ganhar uma copa do Mundo, mas pelo menos eles tentam produzir grandes jogadores e formar grandes equipes. Tentem fazer o mesmo.

11. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    quase todos filhos de imigrantes italianos :)

12. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    These types of discussion go on and on. Portugal are no different from any other National Team. Heck even England has a "Canadian"

Germany has a Polish born player, the list goes on and on...A Ganan has represented the U.S. An Argentine plays for Italy, come on it's getting old...practically the entire French National Team is made up "foreign" players, not to mention the Netherlands, etc, etc...you get the point.

13. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Do you know why I rate the legalization issue as stupid and futile?

If you really want to make a pure portuguese blood team, you have to define what lineage you're referring to. As you know, other civilizations lived in Iberia before Portugal existed as a nation. So among those ones, which one you consider to be the true portuguese? The lusitanians?...nah, they only constituted a third (at most) of the portuguese territory as we know today...

vilafria just gave the example of Argentina...France....Brazil is probably the most shocking example if we go throughout history...

No one criticises Manuel da Costa or Armand Bierschoff...when they never lived here and are still learning our language. They have much right as any of the players that you imply as "non-portuguese". I defend their right to play for our nt if they want to though. I'm not picky.
    The blood issue is rather stupid and more complex if someone put some thought into it. Someone under this pretext, can only be a wannabe smartass or xenophobic/racist. It's one of the two really...

And if someone wants to make a specific legalization law for football, or is stupid or doesn't understand that it doesn't work that way. Any wannabe citizen of this country must go through the same process no matter who.

14. Panther1903

Panther1903 Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Mississauga, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    To cite only a few examples :

Alfred di Stefano : capped by Argentina, Colombia, Spain

Ferenc Puskas : capped by Hungary, Spain

Robert Prosinecki : capped by Yugoslavia, Croatia

Jose Altafini : capped by Brazil, Italy

Ken Armstrong : capped by England, New Zealand

Bobby Evans : capped by Wales, England

John Edwards : capped by England, Wales

John Reynolds : capped by Ireland, England

Eusebio - Mozambique

Matateu - Mozambique

Mario Coluna - Mozambique
    ---------------------------------------------

French NT :

Those who are of African descent:

Jean-Alain Boumsong is from Cameroon.
    Patrick Vieira was born in Senegal.
    Claude Makélélé--Zaire
    Vikash Dhorasoo is Indo-Mauritian (but was born in France)
    Sidney Govou-- Benin in West Africa
    Zinedine Zidane-- Algerian
    Alou Diarra, Senegal descent

Caribbean:

William Gallas, from Guadeloupe.
    Éric Abidal is from Martinique.
    Sylvain Wiltord, also of Guadeloupian descent.
    Thierry Henry is of Antillean, with his father from Guadeloupe and his
    mother from Martinique.
    Louis Saha, with Guadeloupian parents.
    Lilian Thuram, born in Guadeloupe
    Pascal Chimbonda, born in Guadeloupe

South America:

Florent Malouda-- French Guiana
    David Trézéguet-- Argentinian

Those who are of French descent:

Mickaël Landreau
    Mikael Silvestre
    Fabien Barthez
    Gaël Givet
    Willy Sagnol
    Franck Ribéry
    Grégory Coupet

------------------------------------------------

....who cares?

.....play ball.

15. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Mine is not really an issue of "blood" but or rather where they developed their skill set. Thats why if someone before the age of 18, they are likely to be influence by how futebol is played here. The younger the age they come, the more influencial the adopted country will be on them. Thats my only real gripe...

But the thing is now, talented youngster from whatever country are being plucked from their home country at very very young ages and being brought to various Giant Club youth squads, so their development can be closely monitored. So at this point...what country is influencing their behavior and their futeboling habits? Their "home" country, or "adopted" country...

So I guess I go under the modo of "play ball" as well. I just don't want a player at like 25 deciding to play for Portugal because he can't get in his home country....

Example, I was always a little skeptical of Deco, but after his WC performance against Holland...I was very much convinced. Very much so.

With Pepe, I never really questioned. He had the choice of Brasil and Portugal. His wife is Portuguese. Portuguese futebol basically put him on...etc....etc...

16. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Alls I know is... Guadeloupe can have a banginnnnnnnn team.

17. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Oh man imagine!

18. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005

I once banged a Guadalupe. Not the prettiest girl but hey :)

19. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    hahaha...get in there!

20. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Folks, just for clarification...Guadeloupe is an "overseas department of France" hence it is technically a part of France, and it's part of the EU and uses the Euro as it's currency. Any person born in Guadeloupe is a French Citizen. There's a difference between someone born there and let's say someone born in Zaire or Algeria who are former colonies but now independant of France.

Much like Mozambique was a colony at the time of Eusebio and anyone born there was a Portuguese Citizen.

Let's not make a mistake that most make, if you are born in Country "A" and then immigrate to Country "B" at let's say 4 yrs old and are a Pro Soccer player by the time you are 20 then you are in a unique position to play for your "country of birth" or your adopted country. That's different from let's say Liedson who came to Portugal at 25 and now at 30 would play for Portugal if given the opportunity.

Can you see the difference?

Most of the players mentioned grew up in their "adopted" countries...

Pepe came to Maritimo at age of 18, so he did not develop his "root skills" in Portugal.

Agree with it or not, it's the nature of the Futebol world as we have become a "Global Society"

Heck, if a Brazilian can play for Japan why not Portugal...

21. Panther1903

Panther1903 Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Mississauga, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    .....so, any British subject/citizen born in the British Commonwealth of Countries should be able to play for England?.....

22. wtf_SCOLARI!!

wtf_SCOLARI!! Member

Nov 21, 2007
    OH my word!! This subject is rilly starting to pee me off. Everywhere on bigsoccer this debate is still going. The simple solution should be, you have to be BORN in the country, screw this citizen crap. This is retarded.

23. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah but then look at Puerto Rico and U.S.A...

24. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's a fact that Podolski and Klose apparently both speak polish every now and then in training sessions, Kevin Kuranyi was born in Brazil(has the Brazilian citizenship, besides a citizenship of Germany and Panama), and that Mario Gomez has Spanish roots.Trochowski was also born in Poland.
    Not in the current National team, but Gerald Asamoah was called up to play for Ghana, but didn't actually play, so he decided to play for Germany instead.

25. geeko79

geeko79 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Toronto
    That is waaaaaaaaaaaaay off, the commonwealth is merely a "club" rather than governance. All commonwealth countries are self-goverened. Think of it like the CPLP of former English colonies. Besides, why would I want to play England. They couldn't even make Euro 2008 after needing only a sinlgle point.