"Pep, please don't renew!" - The Other Teams thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by os_mutante, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Credit to unclesox for the title suggestion. :D

[​IMG]

This is Maxi Biancucchi, who scored the winner in Olimpia's 2 - 1 win over Lanus in the group stage of the Copa Libertadores. If his celebration looks familiar it might be because he's the cousin of Lionel Messi.

2. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Milan leading Juventus 1-0 nearly 60 minutes in (and after their big win over Arsenal) it looks like (1) Zlatan's amazing streak of domestic league titles will continue, (2) one of our toughest rivals for CL glory may well be a team from Milan whom we faced in the group stage and bested - big shades of Inter beating us in the semis after we'd topped them in the group in 2009-10.

Really besides Real, Milan could be the best opponent; I am not really fearful of Bayern.

3. Trillz

Trillz Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna II
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The prospect of playing Bayern in their home stadium in the final is certainly more worrying to me than playing Milan there. Then again, I suppose playing Milan over two-legs is a bigger concern than with Bayern.

4. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point, Bayern in the final at their Allianz Arena is worrisome, especially if all their players are healthy. They have especially improved at goalie since we last played them in a meaningful game. Not gonna count our Audi Cup triumph over them.

Not wanting to overlook anyone but we've already handled Milan at their place in a real game this year (though they managed a draw at our place to their credit), handled Bayern (0-2) and Napoli (5-0) especially in meaningless pre-season games, and handled that team from Madrid in a 2-legged final (Super Copa), in a Liga game at their place, and in a 2-legged elimination game (Copa del Rey). Who else am I overlooking who is alive in the CL? Inter? Marseille? Lyon?

I'd say Real then Milan have the best chance against us at any game (2 legs or 1 game in Munich), with Bayern up there for the 1 game final in Munich.

CanNOT wait for March 16th when the draws for the CL (and Europa) quarters AND semis are set. Sorry to look past Bayer but c'mon, I'm not Pep, he'll have the team ready, I'm allowed to look past them already.

BTW good for Juve to claw back the draw; I'd kind of like for Zlatan's streak to end (especially if we are going to quite possibly lose our streak of Liga victories).

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Bayern would be dangerous in the one game final. Over 2 legs they don't scare me too much.

Juve still in pole position in Serie A. IMO Ibra's red card/suspension was likely the difference. Amazing how much he sucks every February, March. Such consistency! :D

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Crazy Norf London derby! Arsenal score 5 in a row to overturn a 0-2 deficit. Spurs look like a 20th- place team today.

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Arsenal at it again ... given their fans false hope ...

In the mean time, ManU does it again. Norwich ties the game on the 84th min and ManU finds the winner at the 90th with Giggs. Never seen a team get so many important last minute goals. Truly jaw dropping. Goals from Scholes and Giggs .. now that's old school !

Oh yeah .. and Ramos already on a YC throws and elbow to the face of a Rayo player and gets away with it .... again :eek:

8. Don Nurilio

Don Nurilio Member

Sep 28, 2009
    E u r o p e
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    In other words, nothing have changed :rolleyes:

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Those are some obscenely big ads behind one of the goals at the Rayo stadium !

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    WOW ...LPB get away with a really lucky win even with Retard Ramos trying his hardest to sabotage the game.

Tamudo missed an incredible sitter right at the end.

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, that's one thing Barca never does! If Barca isn't winning with 15 minutes to go, they won't win. But if they are winning by 1, they might still blow-it. :mad:

You'd think with Barca's playing style, it would be the other way around (with the opponents getting tired after chasing the ball most of the match).

12. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point on Zlatan, if Milan manages to keep his league victory streak going it will be in spite of Zlatan's latest screw up. And Juve does have the game in hand.

Sevilla wins in Valencia to make a run towards the European places, earlier action moves Atl. Madric from 6th to 10th place (w/ game vs. us in hand) - showing just how close the battle for 4-6 - the last European spots really is.

Amazing night in London at the Carling Cup (not to mention Arsenal's 5 goal comeback). Pool equalize in regular time, only for Cardiff to equalize in extratime, Pool then misses first 2 PKs only for Cardiff to wind up missing 3 of 5 PKs - Carling Cup to Pool (and with it they qualify for Europa spot which might ease the minds of the clubs above them fighting to gain or retain their European spots). Pool could still try to bridge the 7 point gap that would keep them out of CL - they have a game in hand - in which case the extra Europa spot would go to the 6th placed EPL squad.

13. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA USA USA

Just came here to celebrate as there are no Barca players on Int'l duty on either squad. US beats Italy for the first time 0-1. Hopefully something Jurgen and the boys can build on.

1 person likes this.
  14. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoo!! When a goal is needed, Dempsey is there. He's like the soccer version of Robert Horry.

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Wow! Leverkusen just shat on Bayern! A well deserved 2-0 victory. Bayern hanging by a thread in both CL and Bundesliga now.

16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Chelsea lose to West Brom ... I wonder if that's the last straw for AVB.

17. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Ibrah shoves Sweden teammate Anders Svensson, injuring Majstorovic (torn ACL):
    :rolleyes:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_DLI-ZDv-8"]Ibrahimovic lesiona a su compañero Majstorovic y lo deja sin Eurocopa - YouTube[/ame]

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Doesn't even go there to see how he is ... ah Ibrah ...

19. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Wow. In a practice game, doesn't even stop to see if he's OK. What an ass.

20. barca_4_life

barca_4_life Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Official Chelsea have sack AVB

21. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Interesting. Who will Abrahamovich go for?
    Mou? Rafa Benitez? Capello? Bielsa? Pochettino?

(I'm throwing out names that aren't Pep:D)

I think Chelsea's problem is not the manager but the aging squad and bad transfer policy.

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Although AVB is extremely young to be managing a team with so many old players. So I think part of the problem was lack of respect for the manager.

For now, AVB should stick to younger teams (Arsenal?).

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    No need to wonder anymore :p

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    His problem is that he tried to change the team by pushing out players like Drogba and Lampard while they should have still been starting. If he wanted to renew and implement his plan, he should have done it slowly. He should have kept Drogba and Lamps as starters for most games and gotten rid of them in the summer if he wanted to renew.

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    AFAIK Drogba started almost every match this season when he was available