Pep Guardiola

Discussion in 'Bayern Munich' started by Dhajj, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    GETTING TO KNOW PEP GUARDIOLA

bundesliga.com took a closer look at the life and career of the Catalan coach, and what to expect when he appears on the Bundesliga sceneAfter a one-year sabbatical, Pep Guardiola will soon take charge of FC Bayern MunichFollowing unprecedented success with Barcelona, the expectations will be sky-high when he sets foot inside Bayern's Säbener Straße training facilities on 26 June.

In just a few weeks‘ time, a new era begins at FC Bayern Munich. On 26 June, new head coach Josep Guardiola summons the treble-winners for their first training session ahead of the 2013/14 season at the Säbener Straße.A lot will change upon the arrival of the former FC Barcelona coach. The 42-year-old is not only expected to maintain the success from last season, but also stamp his own philosophy on the record champions.

So who is Josep Guardiola? bundesliga.com has compiled a list of the most important facts about the Catalan native

Roots

Guardiola was born on 18 January 1971 in the small village of Santpedor (6,500 inhabitants), just 45 miles north of Barcelona, to the bricklayer Valentini and housewife Dolor. He has two older sisters and a younger brother. His passion for football developed at an early age, and as soon as he began to spend every given hour kicking a ball around the central village square, the whole village knew him. The village’s sports field has since been named after him.

Family

Guardiola has been married to his wife Cristina Serra since the age of 18. The pair got to know each other in Cristina’s parents’ clothes shop in Manresa, the neighbouring town, just five miles from Santpedor. They have now been married for 24 years and have three children: Maria was born in 2001, Marius in 2003 and Valentina in 2008.

Leadership

It soon became clear that Guardiola had immensely strong leadership qualities. When playing football for his village team, he would be the one to pick the teams. He was the class spokesman at school, but his gift was best defined by his former player Gerard Pique: “He has a natural, extraordinary authority. He doesn’t have to raise his voice or bang on the table - the players just trust him.”

Languages

Guardiola is a minor linguistic genius. Aside from his mother tongue of Catalan, he also speaks Castellano, a dialect of Spanish. At the age of seven, he picked up his first English words at a catholic boarding school, he learned Italian during his time with Brescia, and is now working hard on mastering the German language. Insiders claim he will already be speaking proficiently when he starts work with Bayern.

Idol

Not many football memorabilia and posters decorated Guardiola’s childhood bedroom. Yet there was a large picture of Michel Platini - Guardiola’s idol in his early days - hanging on his wall. As a ball-boy at Barca, he even got the chance, and took it, to ask for an autograph of the current UEFA president and former France legend, but Platini did not oblige.

Culture

Guardiola’s private life is a well-kept secret. However, it is known that he likes art. He dedicated a lot of his time, particularly during his sabbatical year in New York, to this pursuit. One of his best friends is director and author David Trueba. He once sung about his friend: “If you want to analyse or judge Guardiola, you’ve got to know that, under his elegant suit, his cashmere jumper and tie, he is the son of a bricklayer. Beneathe the expensive Italian footwear stands a heart in Espadrille shoes.“

Interviews

Guardiola does not give individual interviews as a general rule. Yet Pep is always talkative when it comes to press conferences and there are no questions he tries to wriggle his way out of answering. He has been this way since the very beginning. Apparently, one of his friends gave him the following piece of advice several years ago, and Guardiola has followed it: “Don’t give any interviews, but never think you are any better than the journalists and that your job is any more important than theirs.”

Analysis

In Barcelona, Guardiola had up to 24 assistants at any one time for different roles. In terms of match analysis, though, he only trusted his own opinion. That is why he had a 20m² room (without windows) set up within the Camp Nou stadium into which he would retreat for several hours on end just a few days before every game to study DVDs of the upcoming opponents. He would leave this room (almost) every time aware of the right tactics for that game.

Records

Overall during his spell as FC Barcelona coach, Guardiola won 14 out of a possible 19 titles. He also became the first coach to win six titles in the same calendar year: the Spanish league title, the Spanish Cup, the Champions League, both the Spanish and European Supercups and the World Club Cup (achieved in 2009).

National team

While Guardiola had an illustrious career as a player, his international career was comparably modest. Because of injury, he only picked up 47 caps for Spain, scoring five goals. He missed out on the World Cups in 1998 and 2002 and was only involved in the 1994 World Cup in the USA. However, he did win Olympic gold at the Barcelona Olympics of 1992.

Compiled by Michael Reis

humin12, Minttunator, PaoloFCB and 5 others repped this.
  2. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hope everyone can read this about our next coach..

I would like to give him a chance and not jump into conclusions before he even had a season with us yet..

He is a very intelligent person with very humble roots. I think he will do great things here and the FO knew that too..

One big example is; he chose bayern over the many oil money/tycoon clubs pouring money his direction. He turned the bigger pay checks down to work here and this was BEFORE we even won anything...

This alone gives me confidence...

3. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I heard he's taking 5 hours of German lessons a day and already pretty good at the language. Hörwick talked to him the other day on the phone and was completely stunned.

Matakos repped this.
  4. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fire Pep! We gotta start somewhere.:ROFLMAO:

5. Nermin Kolašinac

Jun 5, 2013
    Lahmfan's crib
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    First of all, exiting to read about our next manager in the club. Personally, I think his move to be our next manager in the club was a very smart and strategic move. I've never been so excited to see what our manager actually is planning to do with our current team. I just can't wait, Like you said, he chose us before other money clubs - that's give me confidence to. I'm looking forward to see what he's planning to do, new system or whatever he is planning to do - I probably think that he's the right manager to take over after Don Jupp.

6. Nermin Kolašinac

Jun 5, 2013
    Lahmfan's crib
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    That's right. I've also heard that his first press conference is going to be on german, so let's see if he used google translate or how ever he learned german so good, I'm looking forward for that press conference. :whistling:

7. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    When is his presser going to be?

I am assuming the first official day or any time sooner?

8. Nermin Kolašinac

Jun 5, 2013
    Lahmfan's crib
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Pep's first press conference will take place at 24th of June. In Munich of course

9. ZimbabweBob

ZimbabweBob Member+

May 16, 2007
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was super excited about this in January. Then we won everything and now I'm not so sure, but it should be interesting!

Fernando_Bayern_BR repped this.
  10. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It seems like Pep Guardiola is not planning with our old fitness and rehab coach Marcelo Martens. He's returning to Brazil after 5 years. Good luck! I always liked you on the training ground at Säbener Straße, seemed like a great guy.

[​IMG]

On the other hand there were rumors linking us with Leverkusen's fitness coach a couple of months ago so he Martens possibly just wanted to return to his home country.

Fernando_Bayern_BR and Dhajj repped this.
  11. BullMoose

BullMoose Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty cool article about Pep. Like everyone else, I'm excited to see what he will do with Bayern next year.

12. terrypk1

terrypk1 Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    nicely put together. appreciate it !!! Thanks.

13. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If he studies this hard just to learn German..

Imagine what he's been analyzing all year long game in and game out..

I think he will be well prepared ;)

_Amy_ repped this.
  14. Huckeye

Huckeye Member+

St Pauli
    May 31, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am extremely excited for Pep. Also sad to see Jupp go, but honestly, at this point who else would be remotely close to being able to follow such a season?

15. BullMoose

BullMoose Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one. What Bayern did was so ridiculously impressive that it's unlikely to be matched again any time soon, and certainly not next season.

Fernando_Bayern_BR repped this.
  16. humin12

humin12 Member+

Sep 20, 2008
    Ferguson, Missouri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very well said, bruv. Preach it.

Dhajj repped this.
  17. Huckeye

Huckeye Member+

St Pauli
    May 31, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You are right. But what I'm saying is that someone has to follow it up, and from what I've seen/read about Pep, I'm glad its him and not anyone else.

humin12 repped this.
  18. BullMoose

BullMoose Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, OK. That's a fair point. But wouldn't you have rather kept Heynckes?

19. humin12

humin12 Member+

Sep 20, 2008
    Ferguson, Missouri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

20. BullMoose

BullMoose Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winning the CL, BuLi, and DFB-Pokal wasn't enough? Not trying to troll here. I just don't understand why you wouldn't have wanted to have Heynckes stick around.

21. humin12

humin12 Member+

Sep 20, 2008
    Ferguson, Missouri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because he's nearly 68 years old! He was brought in as a temporary manager. What happens in 2 years when he inevitably retires? What manager will be available who can help progress the club in our footballing style and the youth academy? Armin Veh? You talk about this season not being replicated next season, but then you question why Pep was hired. Do you honestly think Heynckes could do the same thing next season? Doubtful.

scorpio81 repped this.
  22. BullMoose

BullMoose Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are certainly fair points. And no, I do not think Heynckes could replicate the season Bayern just had in the upcoming season. It just feels a bit awkward seeing a coach who achieved so much being let go and replaced by someone else. At least he went out on top!

23. humin12

humin12 Member+

Sep 20, 2008
    Ferguson, Missouri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His contract was expiring this year, it's not like we fired him and then hired Pep.

Dhajj repped this.
  24. BullMoose

BullMoose Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never said - nor meant to insinuate - that you did. Anyway, enough of this. I don't want to derail the thread.

humin12 repped this.