People who we thought were gonna light up el Tri

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by chris2787, Mar 1, 2010.

1. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    Mosco that.

2. Shzm13

Shzm13 Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    Puro Durango
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Venado DID light it up:

[​IMG]

;)

3. CyberAce100

CyberAce100 Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Especially Pacheco. He disappeared after Copa America.

4. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I always thought it was a meg, now i'm not so sure

5. Aguila86

Aguila86 Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Southern California
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Did he ever really get a shot at playing for the national team though?

6. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    he never really got a shot thanks to el conejo perez and that garbage of luis michel. the most overrated portero in Mexican futbol

7. elvasco

Sep 10, 2006
    I remember Orozco did called Aguirre out on that in a press conference before the world cup, he said that the only reason Michel was in the squad was because he plays for chivas and I don't remember what he said about el conejo, Im gonna see if I can find a clip of that and post it.

8. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    mehh I thought Gonzo Pineda has a nice two year stretch with the NT around 2005-2006. Besides, how much "lighting up" could a defensive midfielder do anyway.....

9. Phenom

Phenom Member+

Apr 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Please, Orozco has always been shaky. He does block some good shots sometimes, but you know he´s bound to fack up. Not NT quality.

10. John Jagou

John Jagou BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Medina's overall body of work was a disappointment, but he never looked better than he did before South Africa.

Medina's 0 minute world cup was another baffling decision by Aguirre. He finally, FINALLY started playing really well, as good as he ever had, with Mexico leading up to SA and would have been an ideal replacement for Vela. I'm a big believer in playing those who are on the upswing, which is exactly what Venado was doing.

One player that came to mind when this thread popped back up was David Patiño, although his participation was curtailed due to injury. His games during the 93 qualifiers were sensational, but missed out on the cup. His inclusion would have made Mexico a lot more dynamic.

11. Baysic

Baysic Member+

Jun 11, 2009
    The Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    I dunno, upswing might be a little too extreme in his case. Up until the world cup everyone was slandering him over his horrible crossing and his ball hogging.

I think that now its easy to disregard him as a okay appearance since he ended his WC cycle with a nice goal against Italy and really didn't contribute to the WC failure.

12. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    I would not include Juarez.

the guy was a beast during the qualifying process.

the games against the nads/costa rica

he had a good world cup.

this is for players that did not contribute shit

like chato rodriguez

13. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  14. elvasco

Sep 10, 2006
    This and also this is about players that people expected a lot from them, like Chato Rodriguez 12 years or so ago, or Luis Perez, I wouldn't put Orozco here since I don't think much was ever expected of him.
    I would not have Elias Hernandez here my self since I never expected anything out of him, maybe Daniel Osorno and Miguel Zepeda.

15. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Zepeda did well with the NT between 1999-2000

once Lapuente got the sack, he pretty much disappeared

16. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Octavio Valdes
    Cesario Victorino

17. Overachiever

Overachiever Member+

Nov 18, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    adrian aldrete, edgar andrade, ever guzman, xavier báez, miguel layún, christian bermúdez, martín galván (for the U-17's and U-20's), javier orozco, angel reyna, jorge gastélum, néstor vidrio, luis angel landín, césar villaluz, néstor calderón

18. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    some of those guys you listed never even got called up to the NT - Gastelum, Baez, Layun, Vidrio

Andrade & Reyna never really got a chance. both these guys got scrap minutes in the last couple of games

19. elvasco

Sep 10, 2006
    Meh maybe Cesario, but no.

Nah this list is just silly, perhaps from Villaluz we had high expectations and maybe Hobbit at one point but even from him not much was ever expected.

From the current crop of young players I would suppose that a lot is expected of Marco Fabian, and maybe even Herrera who I personally think is being over hyped we'll see if they make this thread in a decade from now.

20. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    These players deserve another (or a first) look for sure. Especially Orozco and Reyna.

21. ZapataEsTuPapa

ZapataEsTuPapa New Member

May 31, 2010
    Stanford, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  22. Phenom

Phenom Member+

Apr 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I completely agree about Pato. Dude was a facking beast with the U-17s. He played CB (or am I wrong), though. My guess is that he just never grew enough to stay at that position and was moved to DM.

23. nicamex1935

nicamex1935 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    My old man used to tell me, Benjamin Galindo.

Would tell me 'que le faltaba personalidad.'

Supposed to be immensely talented, world class even, whose ambidextrous feet were a sight to watch.

I remember watching him play as a kid, and while he had an illustrious club career, I don't really remember him doing anything special for the national team.

24. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Galindo was one of the top scores in the NT history and as a midfielder. He had 20+ goals. I think he may could have had a better career with the NT but he did pretty well for the 94 team.

Same thing with Omar Bravo as others mentioned. He had 2 world cup goals, with already puts him on a select list with the NT. He could have done better but he did enough to be in the good NT career.

I think people that should go on the list be people who not only were expected to be stars but do something with the NT and have failed miserably. Which is why I put Omar Arellano because people hyped him up pre Chicharito and as a mexican star but I doubt anybody would think he would be now where he was with no meaninful tournaments in the NT and one measly goal against Venezuela. I remember when he scored thinking this would be the first of many and instead it's 3 years after and its still the only one.

Chato Rodriguez is another. Widely believed to be a future star and instead ends up with only one goal against Jamaica in a gold cup rout and also no meaningful participations with the NT eventhough Lavolpe gifted him caps all thru his tenure.

25. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    i was never too convinced by arellano. his inconsistency and frailty had me thinking he was going to be another future star that flamed out. granted, some of it also comes from an inert skepticism since for every chicharo or borgetti, there's a marquez lugo,, a landin, a santiago fernandez, a chuy mendoza, etc...

as far as galindo, nica if you even got to see him play he was already in his late 30's and off the national team. i got to see him play a bit , take some good free kicks and even score a hat trick at 40 years old against tecos.

another guy i thought was destined for the nt but never did was rafa medina. not necessarily light it up but at least be a fringe nt player.