People who we thought were gonna light up el Tri

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by chris2787, Mar 1, 2010.

1. IMperfect

IMperfect Member

May 6, 2009
    chicaligonia
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Chicharito, or too soon with the RVP thing? :D

jaykay

2. PARS

PARS Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    fair enough, I have not kept up with him, just basing it on his age.

How about Landin, has that guy been mentioned, I remember, tall, fast dude. Like a hustle nad but with skill (or so he thought).

/p

3. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Landin is in Puebla and he´s REALLY done.

4. Baysic

Baysic Member+

Jun 11, 2009
    The Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    I think what ********ed that guy up was his horrible attitude.....

Hdez.Marcos repped this.
  5. Manifesto898989

Aug 9, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I wouldn't say they are completely busts, but all indicators prove that they are heading that route. I really wish they could prove me otherwise, these players have potential..

6. Baysic

Baysic Member+

Jun 11, 2009
    The Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    I just think that with all the consistent shit players, as soon as someone looks above average (not even consistently) were just quick to start proclaiming players as the next this and that....

I just cant ever see Cubo, Pacheco, or Amione ever being anything other than sort of utility players.....not that its even bad.....cuz you need some of those.

7. IMperfect

IMperfect Member

May 6, 2009
    chicaligonia
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Hard to take this seriously when you don't even support la Liga MX.

Mr. Manhattan repped this.
  8. Baysic

Baysic Member+

Jun 11, 2009
    The Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Uhhhhh i thought it was well established i was an America supporter?

9. IMperfect

IMperfect Member

May 6, 2009
    chicaligonia
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    I see Barcelona

Pajaro Negro repped this.
  10. Baysic

Baysic Member+

Jun 11, 2009
    The Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Blame bigsoccer..they did that....

11. Overachiever

Overachiever Member+

Nov 18, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  12. Manifesto898989

Aug 9, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Please explain to me "shit consistent players".... I agree that people are quick to judge, but I actually thought that Pacheco in Atlas was the better of the ones I mentioned.

13. Manifesto898989

Aug 9, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    hahahah...true... might as well put Lugo there after today's performance...

14. Baysic

Baysic Member+

Jun 11, 2009
    The Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    you go the order wrong, consistent shit players......as in everyone else in Atlas.....thus Pacheco shining and people overreacting.

15. Manifesto898989

Aug 9, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Layun never got called to El Tri, at least to my knowledge, but I was remembering that he was a youth prospect at one point. Can anyone tell me anything about why he failed? Like specifics? Not just, "he's a bust", or something of that nature...

16. Manifesto898989

Aug 9, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Ahhhh I got you..... true, then you make a good point, but even if I got the order right, I would've still asked you to ellaborate on what that meant...

17. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    Layun was never really a "prospect", dude was playing second division football at age 20 with Veracruz and was basically an unknown then all of the sudden he is signed by Atalanta and we all went:eek:, he went there I think he played once in 6 months then America picked him on loan and the rest is history, I personally don't think he is as bad as his critics say he is, there are plenty of shittier players than him just in America Chema Cardenas comes to mind, but going back to topic no does not belong in this thread.

IMO there is a very small amount of players that belong in this thread, 10 at most............ we are talking about players that we though were gonna light up el tri, which players had done that? actually "light up el tri" Cuau, Rafa, Campos, Borgetti, Ramon Ramirez, Zague, Aspe, Matador, Gio(yeah I went there), and a few others and in the future we expect that from guys like Moreno, Ochoa, Vela, Jona, Davila, etc or at least I expect them to join the Cuaus and Borgettis but if those guys fail then they belong here not facking Venado Medina, or Pacheco and guys like that.

Manifesto898989 repped this.
  18. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Which are your ten guys elvasco? Are these players or coaches too?

19. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    Me giving that number was more as an example than anything, and at the end of the day this is more subjective than anything.............. like to me chato Rodriguez belongs in this thread because 13 years ago I expected him to become Mexico's number 10 for the whole decade of the 2000s, two other from his generation Osorno and Zepeda I expected them to be the shit and then some, Nery probably should be here, Cabrito Arellano another, Adolfo Rios another them not making it big in the national team doesn't have to equal failures as professionals but I did expected a lot from them and so far failed to deliver, thats six quickly..........and also just from players I saw I cannot go back to the 80s or even the very early 90s.

20. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    More or less for me.

Is the 1994 World Cup team. Never understood how they could go subcampeon in Copa America, and even leading in that game final game for a few moments, to choking against Bulgaria and choking in the Final de Copa. I mean who the ******** is Bulgaria? (Didn't know European teams outside of Italy/Germany. It was fabled Italy had the best domestic league, and best paying.)

I didn't keep as good an eye back then but I also remember the jokes on Mejia Baron, a el no lo mandan a la tienda porque se queda con el cambio and so on...

Followed closely by Vasco's both world cups.

21. Manifesto898989

Aug 9, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I knew this much as well, I was simply wondering if anyone had an in depth reason of why he falls short of a complete competitive player, like speed, control, work ethic, any of those really.
    Well here's the opening post,

" I just wanted to see who else you guys thought was going to light up el tri, but then fizzed out."

I mean that's pretty vague conditions in terms of who belongs on this list or not. The requirements of that condition seem to be subjective to whom ever the person postings' expectations were for who they felt was going to light up El Tri or not, those conditions don't ever imply whether they did something significant for El Tri already, or in what strata of level of play they had to be, but at least enough to grab our attention, then fizzle out, because then the thread's title would be misleading. It seems pretty open to me, and I doubt that anyone reasonable would hold it against me if I had mentioned players like Pacheco or Medina, because then you have a problem with my expectations, but that is a different matter.

22. PARS

PARS Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Agree about Layun...

pero... y el Grandote de Cerro Azul apa? Luis Garcia?

Bulgaria was a guy named Hristo and 10 more decent dudes. I think he was the top scorer that year, Golden Boot at some point (granted in Bulgaria) tied with Hugo IIRC... to which he later declared "winning a golden boot while playing in Bulgaria is one thing, but to win it in Spain is something else" while at Barca.

him and Davor Suker are guys that to me came out of relative unknowness (for me) and were superstars.

/p

23. CyberAce100

CyberAce100 Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    When he got to Queretaro, the first thing he did was tweet about how people in that city were "corriente". What an idiot.

Baysic repped this.
  24. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Of course I know now who Hristo is. You missed the parenthesis part of my statement. I was 15 at the time cut me some slack and information wasn't at your fingertips like now.

Are you saying Mexico didn't choke that day?

25. PARS

PARS Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I know I konw, he was unknown to me too at the time, as was Davor in 98...

The image of Campos helplessness when he sent that screamer is burned in my memory... that and Aspe going "Puta Madre!" after missing the PK.

/p

Rebaño_Sagrado repped this.