Penn State scandal, JoePa and the football/college town complex

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by That Phat Hat, Nov 8, 2011.

1. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Penn State had four 11-win seasons and a 10-win season in the We Know Paterno Knew About Sandusky Era. That's not USC or LSU, but that's still an elite-ish program. That's five seasons where another win or two gets them into the national championship conversation. So to call the postseason ban a slap on the wrist is a joke.

2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, when the Governor of Texas comes out and admits that he OKed payments to players when he was a member of SMU's Board of Regents, even have they'd been shithammered by the NCAA multiple times, that's a clear sign that the death penalty was more than justified.

3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I completely agree. As college athletics has evolved in the way it has, it was going to be difficult for SMU to compete, even before the death penalty and even before SMU clamped down on its own athletic department in the wake of the death penalty. It's tough and getting tougher for small private schools to compete in major college football, which is why I'm not so terribly optimistic for TCU's prospects going forward.

Ismitje repped this.
  4. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Oh, and the scholarship limit? That's no joke. Given how much of a crapshoot talet evaluation at high school level is, a school that wants to compete at BCS conference level needs every single scholarship, and more (teams often over-sign, under the assumption that some recruits will end up going elsewhere or dropping out). They don't just lose able bodies - they also lose flexibility.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. I was basing that on the other poster saying it was $15M.
    2. I wanna see how she got those revenue/expense numbers. They don't pass the smell test. Making a million in profit per game is pretty obscene, but believable. Making about $4M in profit per game? I don't buy it.

6. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    SMU was tough in the early eighties. Of course they compenstated their athletes better than other schools.

[​IMG]

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's funny to me how much "SMU hasn't recovered" has gotten to be CW. No, it HAS recovered. People are just being clueless as to what SMU football can realistically be. And what it was before the Pony Express. If you believe Wikipedia, SMU went to fewer bowl games in the 70s than Wake Forest.

There's a point to this. I'm not just being pedantic. It's relevant to Penn State and what sanctions could fairly be given to the school. I would also point out that it was a completely different era, but Kentucky basketball got the death penalty in, I think, the early 50s. Hasn't stopped Kentucky basketball from having THE most impressive fanbase in the country, and arguably the greatest program of all time. (Probably neck and neck with UNC at this point.)

After this has all passed, Penn State will still have a 100,000 seat stadium, and be the primary football school in one of the top football states in the nation. There's a CHANCE that Pitt will take advantage of this and permanently surpass Penn State as a destination for Pennsylvania football talent, just like the Black Sox scandal caused the Cubs to permanently pass the White Sox as the bigger team in Chicago. But there's a bigger chance it won't.

The one thing I think we all need to keep in mind is that this is the single biggest scandal in the history of American sports, and it has hit one of the handful of most prominent football programs in the country. Those are two pretty massive variables that make predictions incredibly difficult.

GiuseppeSignori and That Phat Hat repped this.
  8. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm 35. I've followed college football only since my early 20s. I didn't think they had recovered to the place from which they fell - at least from the legends I've heard and read about SMU football.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have. They went to zero bowl games in the 50s, 3 or 4 in the 60s, and none in the 70s. There were alot fewer bowl games back then, but still...they're a small private school doing what small private schools do in football. Try to be better than Duke.

10. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    I think we are arguing the same point. It was Sandusky's demented behavior that caused the boys to be abused. It was the behaviour of Paterno et al who allowed the boys after 1998 to be abused. To me they're just as culpable. They covered it up to protect their cash cow.

Does it matter what the Professor has...he's raping boys. Does Paterno cover it up for the Calculus Professor?

You should have been clearer when you made this statement.

11. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Maybe PSU will use the Cubs as a model. They make lots of money even though they have been banned from the World Series for over 60 years.

12. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before the Pony Express, SMU's previous heyday was when Doak Walker played for them... in the late '40s. (OK, there was also a period inconsistent competence when Hayden Fry coached them in the late '60s.)

13. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing I'll point out here is that university donations largely come with strings attached. People don't give to PSU. They give to the particular program from which they earned a degree; to a cancer research center; for student scholarships; or, of course, to support athletics. Point being, the university can't just shift development funds around willy-nilly to pay this fine. Plus, the negative effect on future fundraising will be substantial.

14. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Football is not hopeless for private schools: Miami, Notre Dame, Stanford, Syracuse, Boston College, etc.

Granted that list is not the same as: Alabama, USC, Texas, Michigan, Florida, etc.

15. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    It is more complicated than that. Miami football, for example, was also terrible for a long period. What happened to SMU had long ranging effects, because when the SWC broke up SMU was one of the teams left out in the cold. In contrast, Miami used its strong football program to gain better conference affiliations, first with the Big East and then with the ACC. If we see further conference musical chairs, one danger to Penn State is that the Big Ten could decide that a weakened Penn State program isn't worth having around and decide to replace them. Penn State could find itself out of the Big Ten with no other power conferences interested in adding it as a member.

16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is from 2011, but this might be an idea
    http://giveto.psu.edu/s/1218/images...ent-report-on-philanthropy-and-endowments.pdf
    On page 30, it shows that "Intercollegiate Athletics" received about $83mil. This might be a way to say there was a profit. But I wasn't looking it up for that, I was looking this up for PSU athletics to cover the fine. I agree, it looks like $12m/year will not be a significant problem.

17. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    On my way home, I was listening to the news, and the sports reporter was speaking with someone who covers the Penn State football team for Penn State's blog. He said that the most damaging thing isn't the money or the scholarships, but the loss of bowl games. He said that he believes that the positions that would be lost by scholarships could be replaced with walk-ons, and the money isn't really an issue. The loss of bowl games means that players would only play in the regular season with no chance at going to a bowl. He said that the consensus from a lot of people is that will be the most damaging.

For me, this seems like it would be the least of their worries. Bowl games are meaningless exhibitions. You mean to tell me that a player would snub PSU because he can't play in the Outback Bowl? Doesn't really make sense to me.

18. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Think about it this way: You are an NFL team that plays in its own stadium. The NFL team owns the stadium, and the land surrounding it. You have daily expenses like keeping the lights on, the water flowing, and other things of that sort. However, one expense you never have to pay is the salary towards players. That's what Penn State is: An NFL team with NFL prices and a better than NFL stadium without having to pay a dime to the players. If the NFL could swing that, each team would be making profits of a hundred million dollars.

19. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I've already covered this. It makes perfect sense.

20. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USC (the one in Los Angeles) is also private.

But SMU is smaller than all of those private universities. It's one of the smallest institutions in NCAA Division I FBS. Worse, it's overshadowed in its own market by at least three nearby public universities. And unlike USC and Notre Dame, they don't have legions of fans attracted by decades of tradition.

21. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I still don't see how that could be the most damaging, though. I get that even if PSU goes 12-0 they won't play for anything, but I'm sure that those wins wouldn't be meaningless, either. They can still be champions of the leaders or legends or whatever division. Also, the players at PSU will still get noticed by NFL scouts. The program may have a rep, but the players don't. I would think playing for PSU would still be a big thing for some players, even if they don't go to a bowl game.

22. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I can't tell if you're oversimplifying for effect or you're actually unaware of the key differences between the NFL and college football business models.

taosjohn repped this.
  23. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bowl games also determine the mythical national championship.

24. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    The NFL TV contract is about $3 billion a year. That comes out to about $94 million per team. The Big Ten TV deal distributes about $24 million a year to each school.

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. The word "small" in my post was just as important as the word "private."